Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minnesota Deferral  (Read 712 times)

interface76

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Minnesota Deferral
« on: March 15, 2005, 06:30:06 PM »
I got deferred at Minnesota today? Does anyone know what that means exactly? Is it just another word for wait list? Any advice would be appreciated.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota Deferral
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:07:56 AM »
I was deferred, too.  I believe they just want to wait on us until they receive seat deposits from the students they already admitted.  If they need to fill their class more after that, they'll come to those who have been deferred before heading to the waitlist.  So, in my perception of it, deferrals are better than waitlists.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

srjohnson

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 01:57:19 PM »
I also was deferred at the U of M.  I talked to someone in their Admission's office, who told me they'd be making decisions on their deferrals after seat deposits are due, and that sending additional material is unnecessary unless they specifically ask for it. 

She also said her gut feeling was that not many people would be accepted off their deferred list because applications were up 30% this year.

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 05:08:21 AM »
applications are up, but not nearly as much as the number of applicants overall. i hope that translates into some acceptances for me.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:41:27 PM »
"applications are up, but not nearly as much as the number of applicants overall"

What the heck does that mean?

If the number of applications at schools have increased by 20-30%, that means more people are applying.  (Unless only the good schools have the increase and the TTT's have a decrease)

Am I missing something here?

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 02:30:14 PM »
"applications are up, but not nearly as much as the number of applicants overall"

If the number of applications at schools have increased by 20-30%, that means more people are applying.  (Unless only the good schools have the increase and the third tier toilet's have a decrease)

Yes, actually you are missing something.  Overall this year LSAC reports that applications are up, however, the number of overall applicants are down.  What this means is that a fewer number of people are sending out a larger number of applications -- for more or less the same number of seats that exist out there.  So, if Beavis applied to Harvard and got in, but also applied to 34 other schools and also got in, he's going to be withdrawing those 34 other applications eventually...  In the past Beavis would have applied to a more reasonable number, perhaps 10, and therefore him accepting Harvard would only have meant rejecting 9 seats that were being held for him instead of 34. Repeat this a lot and this is the phenomonon that could lead it to be a big year for waitlistees (everyone holding out for first choices, then turning down the large number of seats being held for them, and these turned down seats trickling down to late acceptances).

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:12:33 PM »

If the number of applications at schools have increased by 20-30%, that means more people are applying.  (Unless only the good schools have the increase and the third tier toilet's have a decrease)

Right... so she's confused on the initial quote, "..but not nearly as much as the numbers of applicants overall"  There are more applicants and but even more applications... not the other way around as the quote made it seem.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 03:18:05 PM »
I guess I thought you were referring to individual schools, not all of them.  Leave it to me not to get it!  LOL!

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 09:45:46 PM »
update: i'm also deferred. i have a childish urge to say "screw you" to the schools that didn't jump at the chance to have me and go with one that said "yes." but no, i'll wait out the cycle as long as i can. uga's deposit is only $50, after all.