Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: make my decision for me, please  (Read 593 times)

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
make my decision for me, please
« on: March 15, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »
Every time I get accepted by another school, I still find myself struggling with my decision.  There are very few schools that would be a sure "lock" for me - and I've been getting rejected by all of them.  Still, in 30 years, I want to be doing some sort of civil liberties law, but in the years directly following law school I see myself much more in a "BIGlaw" firm of some persuasion, hopefulyl in NYC.  I've been accepted to Wash U St. Louis w/money, George Washington, Vanderbilt and Fordham.  I understand that Fordham is strong in NYC - but it is substantially stronger than the others, enough to outweigh it's obvious lack of national reputation?  If you were me, where would you go?

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
Re: make my decision for me, please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:04:24 PM »
GW or Vandy
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 04:05:23 PM »
Do those two schools have solid placement in NYC?  Is there any sort of database to check this out?

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 04:12:37 PM »
Fordham, decent NYC biglaw placement. If you are in the top of your class you can get into the best NYC biglaw firms.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:17:33 PM »
I've been accepted to Wash U St. Louis w/money, George Washington, Vanderbilt and Fordham.  I understand that Fordham is strong in NYC - but it is substantially stronger than the others, enough to outweigh it's obvious lack of national reputation?  If you were me, where would you go?
I'd go to Fordham for two reasons. First, if you want to get a job in NYC, Fordham's local connections will be very helpful--moreso than the other schools. Second, if you plan to work Civil Rights, a city like NYC would be a great places to start (after your BigLaw days).
I would like to say, however, that it is not the case that Fordham has an "obvious lack of national reputation." Many Fordham graduates just would RATHER work in NYC, live in NYC, go to school in NYC, etc. than elsewhere. If GW were in NYC, it would have similar placement statistics.  I would say that GW is higher ranked, and has a "better reputation," but the value of that would be negated by Fordhams assets in my estimation. And, after working for awhile in BigLaw in NYC, no one is going to care where you went to school anyway.

IndyEntrepreneur

• 3.94 / 168
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - indy_entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 05:02:57 PM »
Do those two schools have solid placement in NYC?  Is there any sort of database to check this out?

I've been extracting data from Martindale to help me evaluate my own options.  Take this with some huge grains of salt, as there are many ways this data can be interpreted.

The question that I set out to answer was, "for all graduates practicing outside of a given school's home state, in which states were the graduates most likely to practice?"  Note that the answer to this question cannot strike any distinction between the possibility that graduates practice in a given state because the [good] jobs are available to them in those states, and the possibility that they practice in a given state because of geographical preferences.  Reality is probably somewhere in between.  At any rate, here are some numbers for GW and Vandy (the top 10 states outside the school's home state where graduates practice):

Vandy:

StateGrad %
Georgia16.25%
Texas12.18%
New York11.71%
Florida11.28%
DC10.98%
California9.73%
Alabama8.40%
Illinois7.16%
Kentucky6.86%
Ohio5.45%

GW:

StateGrad %
New York19.43%
Virginia17.46%
California14.34%
Maryland14.06%
Pennsylvania7.01%
Florida6.74%
New Jersey6.25%
Illinois5.97%
Massachusetts4.62%
Texas4.12%

New York placement is much more frequent for GW grads, as you might intuitively expect.  Vandy seems to slightly favor warmer destinations across the country, while GW has more of a Midwest/Northeast bias.  I hope this is of some help to you.
Accepted:  Boalt, Duke, IU Bloomington (in-state, 19.5k/3 yr), Miami, U Illinois (full tuition), U Texas(in-state, 5k/yr)
Rejected:  ---
Waitlisted:  Northwestern, U Michigan

Pending:  Harvard, Notre Dame, USC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=IndyEntrepreneur

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 05:11:42 PM »
Wow - that is wonderfully helpful.  Thank you

michaelduke

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
Run to Fordham if you are sure about working in NYC.  They have excellent placements. 

mobie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »
lonahawk--just saying that I'm in the same situation!  I am sure about working in NYC, so I appreciate the placement info.  I'm leaning toward Fordham.