Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC smells funny  (Read 1412 times)

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNC smells funny
« on: March 14, 2005, 10:31:14 PM »

jello. ex-squeege. puh-lisa.

so UNC decided to reject me today.  it doesn't matter, who wants to go there anyway.  i don't even nkow where UNC is on the map.  it's not important.  but poo.

someone pleaes tell me that if i were not an out of state student i would have like so totally got in, like for sure.

*squeezes boston c* i wuv u.

Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNC smells funny
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 10:57:31 PM »

jello. ex-squeege. puh-lisa.

so UNC decided to reject me today.  it doesn't matter, who wants to go there anyway.  i don't even nkow where UNC is on the map.  it's not important.  but poo.

someone pleaes tell me that if i were not an out of state student i would have like so totally got in, like for sure.

*squeezes boston c* i wuv u.

Ya, who wants to be a Tar Heel?  Sorry

blondielaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:52:40 AM »
Well, I take it YOU wanted to go there.

It sucks to be rejected, but there is no need to be immature about it.  Chapel Hill is really awesome, and if you had gotten in you would have loved it!

PS I don't think being out of state has anything to do with it.  It does for undergrad, but I don't think for the law school.

PresClay_00

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:00:05 AM »
Yeah, it does matter for Law School, but they let in more out of state people for LS than UG (25% i think). 

birdysails

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:13:14 PM »
It definately matters -- the Dean told me himself that they received 4,000 applications this admissions cycle - 1,000 from in-state residents who will receive 75% of the seats in the incoming class and 3,000 from out-of state students who will receive 25% of the seats.  But he made sure to point out that "the whole pool is considered together."  Whatever that means...
Going to William & Mary!

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 07:11:51 PM »

that system is poo.

i think if other states do it, all of california's public institutions should work exactly the same way.

poo double poo.
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:27:10 PM »
It's called state taxes.  Residents who subsidize the university should definitely get some benefits from their tax money.  I don't know what you're bitter about.

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 09:43:31 PM »
Birdy,

I think he means that the indexes of instaters are bumped up, and then the pool is considered. If I had to speculate, they probably have some sort of formula for how much to adjust it, and then when they're getting down to the last 5-10% they do a little extra juggling if they need to in order to meet the 25-75 ratio.

SillyMia

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 10:30:24 PM »

It sucks to be rejected, but there is no need to be immature about it.  Chapel Hill is really awesome, and if you had gotten in you would have loved it!

PS I don't think being out of state has anything to do with it.  It does for undergrad, but I don't think for the law school.

I think being light heartedabout the entire situation is a pleasant change - not immature. 

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 12:35:57 AM »

I think being light heartedabout the entire situation is a pleasant change - not immature. 

There's a line between lighthearted and babyish.  I think the OP is treading the line.