Law School Discussion

Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ole Miss

ch537

Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ole Miss
« on: March 14, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »
    Hey everybody, I need some feedback about these schools.   Particularly:
1)the social life there
2)the job prospects (only regional or boardering states?)
3)what does everyone think about working in each respective state?

Any feedback about any of the above schools would be greatly appreciated, even if its something that i didnt specifically ask feedback about.   - thanks. 

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ole Miss
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:09:24 PM »
In my opinion all these schoola are pretty much the same as far as their reputations. They are regional schools with lots of appeal to in state firms but not much past that. But if you want to work in these states you will have no problem. As far as social life, I don't know much about KY but I know that Knoxville and Oxford are great college towns. Both are geared more towards undergrad-type fun (i.e. casual bars, not much culture or fine dining) but I personally still find that fun  ;). Guess if you are a basketball fan, go to KY. If you are a college football fan, go to TN or Ole Miss!

I worked for the DA's office in TN for a while and had a great experience. Don't know what kind of law you want to practice but I personally think southern people are the friendliest so therefor better to work for and with  ;). J/k (kinda.) None of these states are particularly high paying but, as with any state, there is money to be made (Nashville, etc.) My .02.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:46:18 PM »
I go to Tennessee for undergrad and here is what I know. Knoxville is a pretty good town. A lot of people are surprised at how big it is when they get here. It is pretty terrible in the city planning department and sometimes all I can do is scratch my head when they start new construction but overall its a very livable city. Its cheap as hell too, my rent is going to be 285 a month if I stay for law school and it is a 3 bedroom nice but small house in a very nice neighborhood. Oxford kinda sucks. The bars close at one and there is nothing there but the school. It is great for undergrad cuz of fraternity parties but I wouldnt want to go for grad school.

The law building here is really nice, by far the nicest on campus. All the buildings on campus are wireless. Our law library was rated higher than Harvards by some website (i think PreLawMagazine.com or something like that.) As far as academics I predict a pretty big rise in the polls over the next few years. It is the best kept secret in America I think and I am glad. Also tuition is really cheap (8000 in-state, might as well be free) so you come out with little to no debt and a great education. If you look at ranking its as good as Tulane, Cordozo (I thought that school name was a joke at first), Case, American, Temple, Baylor etc but nobody talks about it. Once again fine with me. It may not matriculate to NYC but people on this site fail to take into account that people from here for the most part have no desire whatsoever to live in NYC. And you know what? Nothing is wrong with a person for not wanting to live in the north. There is plenty of money in Nashville to be made. OleMiss doesnt rank near as high and from what I have hear, for good reason.

The only school I would pick over UT is Vandy but I want to live in Nashville and maybe spend a few years in DC. You get free football tickets at UT and you havent seen football until you have seen 109,000 drunk rednecks at a SEC football game in Neyland Stadium. A lot of the people on this site are a bit dilusional. There is more to life than going to the Ivy's. UT is pretty relaxed and would be easier to make top 20% if you bust your ass. And if you do, you will get a fancy job if you want one. As for me having fun, making 90,000 in Nashville, then making partner and 200,000 or more and getting rich off real estate on the side sounds pretty good to me. Tennessee is moving up in the rankings just watch (whereas Tulane is dropping like crazy). I dont know much about Kentucky and I know this sounds like a sales pitch but I just thought I would give all of my opinions since I know as much or more about Tennessee as anyone else on here, and because nobody EVER talks about UT. I'd be happy to answer any more questions that you have.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 04:59:20 PM »
Kentucky is the only 'tier 1' of the three. I dont know if that means anything. Their employment numbers are pretty impressive also, as are their judicial clerkships placement numbers. Also, they supposedly have over 100 OCI's working there, which suggests that they most likely place pretty well.

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 05:08:47 PM »
Kentucky is tier 1 but just barely. They report 100% employment for the 2003 class though the average salary isn't especially impressive, around 70k I believe. Its a regional school and this region just doesn't pay all that much.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 11:23:55 AM »
I would be thrilled to make 70K in Lexington, KY. 70K in Lexington = 125K in NYC, LA, CHI. By all accounts UK networks pretty well. They have interviewers from 20+ states. I dont want to work in NYC anyhow.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 11:39:31 AM »
You are right Jackson. Salary may be low but cost of living is dirt cheap.
I pretty much feel the same way. I have NO desire to work in NYC or any other big city for that matter so it doesn't matter to me. It is just that a lot of people on this board are focused on Biglaw in the big city. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But it means most of their advice is geared towards that goal, which not everyone shares. They are all good, regional state schools. You have to taylor your law school choice to match YOUR needs and your goals.

ch537

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 12:20:10 PM »
     Actually, I am from Chicago, went to U of C, and I am looking for a change of scenery.  I only applied to southern schools, and Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi look to be the three that I am going to decide on.   
    I want to live and work in the south, I just want a little bit of flexibility down there, such that I dont want to go to Mississippi and have no option other than working in Mississippi, or go to Kentucky and not be able to possibly work in Tennessee after graduation.  I just want a little bit of geographical options.  Hopefully my grades will make up for a lacking in regional recruitment.   
   with that said, I am placing a large emphasis on enjoying my three years of law school.  I plan on studying hard and partying harder.  Three years is a long time, and I really hated U of C's social atmosphere, and i dont plan on repeating that mistake.  I think earning a lighter salary in a southern state is worth it, because the cost of living is lower and the weather nicer -- and in my opinion the girls are cuter :-).   
    I would, however; like to have the option of earning some good money, possibily, eventually, moving to a big city, but a big city in the south, not the North, such as; Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, etc.   So which of the three has better southern mobility?  I am guessing either Tennessee or Kentucky?   
     How does everyone like living and working in Mississippi and tennessee and kentucky?  Any other opinions on each respective law school ??? The more input the better,  and thanks for all of your help so far,  chris. 

PresClay_00

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 12:25:39 PM »
For what it's worth, I think UT prob has the greatest mobility of the three.  Kentucky is ranked higher, but it's also farther from Atlanta, which is the "big" city of the South.  Ole Miss is a good school, but prob travels the least of the three. 

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 12:34:17 PM »
I agree with PresClay. Being from the south I can tell you that if you want to work in a ATL or Birmingham or Nashville, Kentucky is a little far removed and less well known in these areas. Tenn. is closer. And I know this may sound bad but it is true. People in GA, AL, etc. are much more familiar with UT not just b/c they are closer but b/c they have a good football team. So TN in more "in the club" than KY, which helps networking and name recognition. I kid you not.
I think UT is your best bet. I used to live in TN and I think it is a great place to live. Better weather than MS (marginally) and more access to big cities, events, etc. You sound a lot like me in that I plan to balance life in law school. I refuse to be miserable for 3 years. Study hard, play hard. My motto for sure. I do not know much about KY but I can tell you that Ole Miss and UT are in great, student-oriented college towns. This means lots of bars, drink specials, and parties. Knoxville is a fun town for sure. But if you decide to go there, make sure you like the color orange because the entire town (cars included). Bright freakin orange.