Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative Action is for people not smart enough to get in without it  (Read 22241 times)

Jay the Great

• Player
    • View Profile
Should I really feel sorry for you because you're an URM? Honestly. You have the same brain as anybody else don't you? Or are you admitting you're not as good? AA hurts applicants because in reality it's saying "you're black/hispanic/poor/etc therefore you need this little boost in order to get in." Not to mention the fact that for every person who gets in undeservingly from AA, there is another person who deserved it more who was denied in order to make room for you.

If I were black, I would hate AA more than I already do.

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I second.  I'm definitely more deserving because I'm white, have a trust fund, and could afford to spend $5K on LSAT prep.  URM's and the poor should have had the good sense to be born white and rich.
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

SleepyGuyYawn

Please nobody respond to this thread.  The author is a troll (somebody who only tries to elicit reactions).  Don't go for it.

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
Affirmative Action is for people not smart enough to get in without it...

WHAT!?!?  This is BRAND NEW INFORMATION!!

How come I've never heard anything about this before??

:o  :o  :o

Jay the Great

• Player
    • View Profile
Please nobody respond to this thread.  The author is a troll (somebody who only tries to elicit reactions).  Don't go for it.
I'm not a troll, you female dog. I'm a regular poster on this board and I just started a thread. Unfortunatly, nobody is taking this thread seriously which is a shame really.

Affirmative action is racist against the people it intends to help.

SleepyGuyYawn

Even if you aren't, your post has a tone that's too incendiary for this topic.  It seems like you just want to start an argument -- not have a genuine discussion. 

And don't call me a b*tch.  It's not nice.

Jay the Great

• Player
    • View Profile
I'm just tired of hearing everybody and their mom exploit the AA system. It's out dated anyway. Minorities and the poor now have the same opportunity to attend college and excel as  anybody else. I'm sick of seeing people on this board asking if they apply for AA status because they're gay, or socially different, or their grandfather is half black, etc.

-edit-

Nevermind. I like AA now. I'll just slack off on my gpa and mark the "gay" box on the lsac so I can get into a top law school.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Dude, read the other threads here about the same thing you're bitching about. Learn from people who've already discusse this topic with a lot more clarity and add something if you have an opinion that hasn't already been said 20 times.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm just tired of hearing everybody and their mom exploit the AA system. It's out dated anyway. Minorities and the poor now have the same opportunity to attend college and excel as  anybody else. I'm sick of seeing people on this board asking if they apply for AA status because they're gay, or socially different, or their grandfather is half black, etc.

-edit-

Nevermind. I like AA now. I'll just slack off on my gpa and mark the "gay" box on the lsac so I can get into a top law school.

Some people are known to check boxes that don't apply to them, like "hispanic", if they have any relatives by marriage who qualify (apparently if you write some BS addendum and send it to half the schools you apply to it's ethically OK).  Aside from such questionable practices I'm for AA, recognizing it as a necessary evil for the present time.

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
Your wrong, family connections are for people not smart enough to get in, like Mr. Bush. Affirmative Action is to help groups that don't get a fair shake, have schools with no books, are disadvantaged and marginalized by the power structure. I am not saying the recipients are always the ones that need it most, or that it isn't a flawed system, but clearly, it is not just about intelligence. Intelligence doesn't help everyone overcome institutionalized obstacles. It serves to increase representation of underrepresented groups.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law