Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative Action is for people not smart enough to get in without it  (Read 20900 times)

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Affirmative Action is for people not smart enough to get in without it
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2005, 01:17:45 PM »
I want to know why when people look at hockey they say it is a racist sport because most of the people are white, but when they look at basketball or football they don't say that. They samething goes with entertainment. It is fine for something to be all black, but it can't be anywhere near all white. Many people grow up in the same situations as URM's but don't get the boost. The only difference may be that the person is white. In a lot of these situations it is a disadvantage to be white. Another problem is that this is not only to right past wrongs. If it were then Asians would still benefit. They were greatly discriminated against, but since they work hard to become successful they get nothing.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »
I want to know why when people look at hockey they say it is a racist sport because most of the people are white, but when they look at basketball or football they don't say that. They samething goes with entertainment. It is fine for something to be all black, but it can't be anywhere near all white. Many people grow up in the same situations as URM's but don't get the boost. The only difference may be that the person is white. In a lot of these situations it is a disadvantage to be white. Another problem is that this is not only to right past wrongs. If it were then Asians would still benefit. They were greatly discriminated against, but since they work hard to become successful they get nothing.

Daymn I had resigned myself not to post on this thread again, but this was hilarious..Who the hell looks at hockey and call it a racist sport?   :D Where did you get this from? Your black friends? hahahah
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2005, 01:33:48 PM »
That's true Oracle ...

I have never heard anyone complain that there aren't enough blacks in hockey! But hey, as long as we're complaining about
racist sports ... I nominate skiiing. Oh, and swimming!
And if we didn't have Tiger Woods I'd complain about golf too.

I don't know where some of these arguments come from.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2005, 01:42:11 PM »

This is true.  Jews are a minority, have been discriminated for the past 3500 yrs - you don't see them getting AA benefits.  They didn't whine and demand special priviledges..they did it for themselves.  Asians-same thing.  I've said this already, and I'll say it again.  If AA worked, I'd be all for it.  But it doesn't.  AA exists in High School, AA exists in college, AA exists in Law School, and let's not forget that AA exists in the job field.  If AA really worked, then someone benefiting from it got into highschool, or college, or even law school - it would all be fair game after that.  But alas, it isn't so....AA continues to every level of professional development, and people get judged on the color of their skin and not the contents of their character. 

thefaceman

• Sr. Citizen
  • I saved Latin. What did you ever do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »
I want to know why when people look at hockey they say it is a racist sport because most of the people are white, but when they look at basketball or football they don't say that. They samething goes with entertainment. It is fine for something to be all black, but it can't be anywhere near all white.

umm, I hope you are joking.  

But if you are'nt...BECAUSE ALL PROFESSIONAL SPORTS IN AMERICA WERE STARTED BY WHITE PEOPLE, AND MANY WERE EXCLUSIVELY WHITE TO BEGIN WITH.  Blacks were forced to start their own leagues even though they often had better players.

As for entertainment...if I have to see one more show about or starring all white people I am going to kill my TV.  It is not that there are not black stars, but just think about it,  when was the last time you saw a black person on any of the shows you watch?  I don't watch much TV, but I do watch the news.  How about a national news anchor, strike one.  My wife watches Gilmore Girls, totally honky, Desperate Houswives, honky, all the other shows on the WB like the OC, the Mountain, Smallville, honky, honky, honky.  My favorite is Extrememe Make-over Home Edition, white people to the rescue!!!!  

From one white person to another, you really need to wake up to reality.  Your argument in these areas is groundless.
But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »
Dude..there's a whole channel devoted to black entertainment. BET.  I guess you and your wife never flipped your channels that far huh?  You must have also forgotten The cosby show, fresh prince of bel air, family matters, hangin' with mr. cooper.

wtf are you talking about??!?

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2005, 01:56:02 PM »
Dude..there's a whole channel devoted to black entertainment. BET.  I guess you and your wife never flipped your channels that far huh?  You must have also forgotten The cosby show, fresh prince of bel air, family matters, hangin' with mr. cooper.

One out of 200, everything else is W.E.T hahaha...orright let me stop messing with you guys.
Peace and love
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

thefaceman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2005, 01:58:26 PM »

Yeah, I watch dance 360 too.  You missed my point.
But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2005, 01:59:15 PM »
do not forget that blacks make up 12% of the population.  To expect 50% black shows would be stupid.  If there was a demand for more black shows, there would be more black shows.  I can't think of a single all asian-cast-show.

so now they should get AA too?  So does this mean americans are discriminating against asians?  this is ridiculous.

thefaceman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2005, 02:03:19 PM »
do not forget that blacks make up 12% of the population.  To expect 50% black shows would be stupid.  If there was a demand for more black shows, there would be more black shows.

I am sure they are reminded daily.  Thanks.