Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Affirmative Action is for people not smart enough to get in without it  (Read 21369 times)

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmative Action is for people not smart enough to get in without it
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2005, 11:31:12 AM »
Affirmative action has been around for a VERY VERY long time. Read this book (ISBN 0393052133) before you start talking about who's smart and who's not...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2005, 12:57:37 PM »

I am saying that those who make adjustments do better in the business world.  This is not a big factor in my opinion.  But for those people who do well in school and have skills that are marketable, I believe that it helps to make adjustments to "fit in."

I would also like to reinterate that I am not saying that this is the only or even close to the biggest problem (my vote is for family structure), but it is important to those who have done everything else right.

That is a quote from me, saying that it is one and not even the biggest factor, in my opinion.  So please stop characterizing it otherwise.

On that note, I am not going to quote you because this is getting too messy.

The real world isn't race neutral.  I don't know if it ever will be, but that is the direction we are heading.  The world (or the US, since that is really what we are talking about) is much fairer now than it was pre-Civil War and pre-Civil Rights Act (1964).  I think that most people would agree with this.  Maybe it is idealistic for me to say that the gov't should not condone any discrimination, and by discrimination I mean treating someone better/worse based on race.  Instead the gov't and many people justify one form of discrimination w/ past discrimination.  That is if I understand the argument as, "the only reason minorities do not perform as well in high school/undergrad is that our country has developed a system that is unfavorable to them."  Or, in other words, factors such as family income/wealth and family education are disproportionately slanted away from the minorities in this country.  If education, wealth and income had not been distributed unfairly in the past, we would have a greater balance.  Well, I find it somewhat offensive to take away someone's wealth, but anti-discrimination laws in hiring and promotion could help balance the disparity in income.  But this is contingent on equal ability.  And equal ability is contingent on equal education (at least, if not more).

So can we justify AA as a means to balance.  I would argue that if certain steps were taken in the lower levels of education (elementary-high school), there would be an improvement.  But this is not the whole of the problem, just like current or past racism is not the whole of the problem.  Although it is not the entire problem, it is a problem, and steps should be taken to ensure that all kids receive a quality education.  Remember, there are many poor, white southerners who receive similarly bad schooling to what inner-city schools provide.

Okay, that is not everything about that, but I am going to move on.  We have a gov't assistance program that encourages single-family homes.  We have a paternalistic gov't that isn't even doing a good job.  We have a society (black and white) that celebrates pop stars and athletes over doctors, lawyers and pharmacists.  Does anyone really believe that the number of young black men attempting to pursue a career in the NBA or NFL is too high.  Not that basketball and football are bad things (I am a fan of both) but that pursuit of education should come first.  And like the music I mentioned before, the impression that basketball is "your way out" is heaviest on the poor and the fatherless.  Please don't misinterpret this as me saying that it is all the NBA's fault; like the things I have mentioned before, I introduce this as simply a factor.  I hope I have gotten the message across that I do not support some theory that if blacks learn to talk like whites, all their worries will go away.

On to your response about my spelling.  If you didn't care, why did you bring it up.  If you don't care, why do you respond when I take up for myself.  And I never said anything about a spelling b.  I also think it is a pretty sorry way to address the issue at hand.  To say that 'you can't spell very well and you have presumably not been held down by that fact, therefore, speaking in some way should not hold someone down'  Well, my poor spelling is on this message board, I wasn't suggesting that if someone used poor grammar on this message board, they will have a hard time being successful.  Apples and Oranges.  Now, if my personal statement is riddled with spelling errors and I still get into a top school, I will let you know, but I don't think I will be writing it on this message board and not proofreading it.

On to making adjustments.  There are many people who have been able to keep a job while underperforming.  When the economy is good, business is good, profits are up, people can avoid being laid off by just being liked by their coworkers.  You can accept this fact or not, I don't care, but the working world is not a meritocracy; nor is it something you can conquer on your own.  

I would go on, but I want to hear criticism of what I have written so far.

This person is getting the same critique aparently. Although it seems he says a lot of the same things i think. Interesting, you really do NOT listen to the other points? Or maybe just trying to ignore them? I don't know anymore, but just thought I would point that out.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2005, 02:31:44 PM »
will be ordering this...good looking out

Affirmative action has been around for a VERY VERY long time. Read this book (ISBN 0393052133) before you start talking about who's smart and who's not...

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2005, 01:11:41 AM »
No prob. Hopefully a few others will also take a look at the book.....

will be ordering this...good looking out