Law School Discussion

~*****~A Question for TESTMASTERS ALUMNI!!!!!!!!!!!~******~

~*****~A Question for TESTMASTERS ALUMNI!!!!!!!!!!!~******~
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:14:42 AM »
Hi everyone!

I just found this board about an hour ago and I'm so glad I did! I was THISCLOSE to enrolling in a Kaplan course, but then I read all of your advice and decided on TestMasters instead! (I hadn't even HEARD of TestMasters prior to coming to this discussion forum, so I thank my lucky stars I found it.  ;D)

I am planning to enroll in a full TestMasters course this summer and I just want to know how many hours per week I should plan to commit to TM (not counting actual class sessions). I'm going to be juggling a few classes at school in addition to TM, so I just want to make sure that I'll have enough time to study/do homework for TM in order to get the most out of the program.

So...for all the TestMasters alumni out there:
-Approximately how many hours/week did you spend studying for TM or doing TM homework (not including class time) while enrolled in the program, and did you feel like it was enough to maximize the learning experience?
-How many hours/week of studying would you RECOMMEND for someone enrolled in TM (other than "as much as possible")?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!  :D

Re: ~*****~A Question for TESTMASTERS ALUMNI!!!!!!!!!!!~******~
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 03:16:07 AM »
Hi everyone!

I just found this board about an hour ago and I'm so glad I did! I was THISCLOSE to enrolling in a Kaplan course, but then I read all of your advice and decided on TestMasters instead! (I hadn't even HEARD of TestMasters prior to coming to this discussion forum, so I thank my lucky stars I found it.  ;D)

I am planning to enroll in a full TestMasters course this summer and I just want to know how many hours per week I should plan to commit to TM (not counting actual class sessions). I'm going to be juggling a few classes at school in addition to TM, so I just want to make sure that I'll have enough time to study/do homework for TM in order to get the most out of the program.

So...for all the TestMasters alumni out there:
-Approximately how many hours/week did you spend studying for TM or doing TM homework (not including class time) while enrolled in the program, and did you feel like it was enough to maximize the learning experience?
-How many hours/week of studying would you RECOMMEND for someone enrolled in TM (other than "as much as possible")?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!  :D

As much time it takes for you to do the homework.  As you will see for yourself once you receive your books, there is one book assigned to every class.  The material you will go through in class each day is less than 10 pages and the rest is homework for the next class.  The homework can take a few hours each day if you really commit yourself but that is easier said than done.  In addition to the homework from each class, you will also receive an additional booklet containing only LR questions.  Testmasters claims that their books contain ALL the LSAT questions ever published (excluding Feb. LSATs) so you will have enough material to prep for the test. 

Honestly, although it is possible, I haven't seen anyone in my class actually do ALL the homework.  In my opinion, if you can commit yourself to a couple hours(1-2hrs) of problem solving each night and take many actual length practice tests you will be good to go.  I started with a 155 without any prep and I was able to hit mid 170s on my practice runs before the test.  Unfortunately, I stumbled on the real deal and got a 162 & 169.  Anyways, good luck & I wish you the best!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:09:54 PM »
As much time it takes for you to do the homework.  As you will see for yourself once you receive your books, there is one book assigned to every class.  The material you will go through in class each day is less than 10 pages and the rest is homework for the next class.  The homework can take a few hours each day if you really commit yourself but that is easier said than done.  In addition to the homework from each class, you will also receive an additional booklet containing only LR questions.  Testmasters claims that their books contain ALL the LSAT questions ever published (excluding Feb. LSATs) so you will have enough material to prep for the test. 

Honestly, although it is possible, I haven't seen anyone in my class actually do ALL the homework.  In my opinion, if you can commit yourself to a couple hours(1-2hrs) of problem solving each night and take many actual length practice tests you will be good to go.  I started with a 155 without any prep and I was able to hit mid 170s on my practice runs before the test.  Unfortunately, I stumbled on the real deal and got a 162 & 169.  Anyways, good luck & I wish you the best!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO AND ADVICE, JUSTIN!! I really appreciate your help.  :)
By the way, is there a difference between www.testmasters.com  and   www.testmasters180.com ??
Are those DIFFERENT companies? If so, then which one is it that people on this board are raving about?
As you can tell, I'm SUCH a newbie!  ::)

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:24:14 PM »
I took Testmasters and the instructor told us to estimate two hours of homework for each hour of class.  That's probably a good average, although in the beginning you work through it faster.  Later in the class you get a lot more homework and it took more than that to complete it and review it sufficiently.

Testmasters180 is the Testmasters people talk about and the one you want (it's based in California).  They operate under another name in Texas becuase the testmasters.com company owns the Testmasters name in Texas.

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 01:25:59 PM »
You want testmasters180.com

I took it, and did all the Logic Games. I missed one on the real test. I didn't bother with the reading comp, because I already had that under control. I wish I had focused more on the LRs (only did a few per section). That's what ended up being the difference maker. I missed 13 questions on the test: 12 on LR.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 01:27:36 PM »
Based on the number of asterisks and exclamation marks, I was expecting a more rivetting question.

My instructor actually said 8 hours per lesson.  2 Hours is a minimum.. in any event consider it a part-time job.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 01:32:03 PM »
Based on the number of asterisks and exclamation marks, I was expecting a more rivetting question.

My instructor actually said 8 hours per lesson.  2 Hours is a minimum.. in any event consider it a part-time job.

This is the same as what I'm saying- two hours per hour of class = eight hours per lesson.  Lessons were four hours.