Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to WEAR??- Admitted Students  (Read 2676 times)

NYBound05

What to WEAR??- Admitted Students
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:31:23 AM »
Ok, so I know there was a similar topic in the Where Should I Go thread, but that one was in regards to someone who had not yet been admitted or something; I'm wondering what's the general rule of thumb for proper attire at events for those who have already been admitted?

I'll be attending one pretty soon in an area that's been super hot lately.  I seriously can't see myself wearing a sweater and any type of pants.  I also think it's unnecessary to go business casual, but then again I don't wanna show up in flip flops and a tank top. And ladies, what about shoes?  I think the notification mentioned something about there being quite a bit of walking (tours), so I don't want to wear shoes that are going to have my feet screaming for mercy, especially since it's an all-day event.  I know, I know, such considerations shouldn't even be an issue, but they're definitely things one would want to know BEFORE they arrive.  At least I do.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who have already been to these admit day things, although I'd also love to hear thoughts from anyone who has any sort of clue.

Thanks.  :)

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What to WEAR??- Admitted Students
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 06:00:42 PM »
I just recently went to an admitted students day and I wore basically what I wear to class: jeans, a reguar top, and a corduroy blazer. There were some people dressed business casual, some in t-shirt and shorts, and some in full-out suits. I thought that the suits looked ridiculous and did not really notice the t-shirt and shorts people. I think that since you've already been admitted, there's no dress code. Of course you don't want to look grungy but I don't think anyone at the law school expects you to be dressed to the nines. My tour guide was actually wearing jeans, a star wars shirt, tennis shoes, and baseball cap. As for shoes I wore these new ballet flats that I recently purchased and my feet were killing me, no support for hte balls of the feet! I'd wear a comfortable flat or boot, becuase the campus I visited was pretty small but we did do an extreme amount of walking.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 11:12:57 PM »

I'll be attending one pretty soon in an area that's been super hot lately.  I seriously can't see myself wearing a sweater and any type of pants.  I also think it's unnecessary to go business casual, but then again I don't wanna show up in flip flops and a tank top. And ladies, what about shoes?  I think the notification mentioned something about there being quite a bit of walking (tours), so I don't want to wear shoes that are going to have my feet screaming for mercy, especially since it's an all-day event.  I know, I know, such considerations shouldn't even be an issue, but they're definitely things one would want to know BEFORE they arrive.  At least I do.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who have already been to these admit day things, although I'd also love to hear thoughts from anyone who has any sort of clue.

Thanks.  :)
Since you have already been accepted, you need not "dress to impress." I think it is reasonable to go the resort casual route (dockers, shirt with a colllar for men, ladies maybe a causal skirt and blouse.)  Now, MUST you dress this way? Of course not--most of the students in classes will be in t shirts and jeans (shorts in California). For the admit day that I went to, pretty much everyone dressed in resort casual, with maybe 5% dressing formally. I'd say you probably don't want to look out of place compared to those other admitted students, and you should just accept that fact that the admits will be dressed much better than the actual students that you see.  BTW, I saw women who wore high heels--they had a hard time on the tour.

NYBound05

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 04:55:22 PM »
Sweet, that's what I figured.  There really is no need to dress to impress once you've already been admitted.  I'm just gonna dress the way in which I would if I were going to class; for tacts sake, I hope it's not a super hot day!  :P

jziv2626

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 06:47:34 PM »
When i visited Tulane, i had just gotten off the flight to New Orleans and didn't have time to change out of my usual california clothes (t-shirt w/ a stain, shorts, and sandals, not to mention that one of my toenails was painted by my girlfriend while i was asleep and i didn't realize it until i was on the tour) so i just put on a nice jacket and went.  Both of the other people on the tour were wearing suits so i felt like a total jackass, but i really didn't care because they had already let me in.  If i didn't get my admission offer recinded, you won't.