Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 102919 times)

Ego

Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2006, 07:20:07 PM »
Another underrated school: UCLA & Texas.  It really should be Sweet Sixteen, not T14. 

t14 is a little strange, but 'sweet 16' isnt any better.  vandy is as national as ucla

Yeah.  They're included too.

I think the top 25 is a better term to use.  Of course, you can still distinguish between 1-10, 10-15, 15-20, 20-25 etc.

But it is not so hard and fast like we make it on the internet.

i agree, round #s are better and there t14 is a line in the sand.  regionality still comes into play for the lower t14 schools

It comes into play for all of the T14.  Going to a t14 does not suffice.  You need to do well there to access jobs around the country.  Of course, you can do relatively poorly and get a good job in a major market or a great job in a secondary market with ties to the area.  But you're less likely to make market and you almost definitely won't get your first choice firm.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2006, 07:21:16 PM »
Another underrated school: UCLA & Texas.  It really should be Sweet Sixteen, not T14. 

t14 is a little strange, but 'sweet 16' isnt any better.  vandy is as national as ucla

I think the top 25 is a better term to use.  Of course, you can still distinguish between 1-10, 10-15, 15-20, 20-25 etc.

i agree, round #s are better and there t14 is a line in the sand.  regionality still comes into play for the lower t14 schools

It comes into play for all of the T14.  Going to a t14 does not suffice.  You need to do well there to access jobs around the country.  Of course, you can do relatively poorly and get a good job in a major market or a great job in a secondary market with ties to the area.  But you're less likely to make market and you almost definitely won't get your first choice firm.

So, you're saying doing well at Temple is better for Philadelphia placement than doing poorly at, say, Northwestern or Cornell?

Ego

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2006, 07:27:49 PM »

So, you're saying doing well at Temple is better for Philadelphia placement than doing poorly at, say, Northwestern or Cornell?

Maybe.  I don't know too much about the specifics.

Download the link at the bottom of this page, it is probably the best source for such information.

http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/ciolli/

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2006, 07:30:29 PM »

Download the link at the bottom of this page, it is probably the best source for such information.

Well, I didn't mean it in terms of specifics about those schools; i meant it generally -- let me ask it this way -- do you mean to say that doing well at a local tier two in most markets might be better than being bottom say...15-25% at an out-of-town t14/t25?

Ego

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2006, 07:33:03 PM »

Well, I didn't mean it in terms of specifics about those schools; i meant it generally -- let me ask it this way -- do you mean to say that doing well at a local tier two in most markets might be better than being bottom say...15-25% at an out-of-town t14/t25?

Being top 25% or top 3rd in the market you want to practice in at a local tier 1/tier 2, like the second or third best school in the market, is just as good or better than being bottom quarter at a better school across a few states. 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »
It all depends on the area and the school.  In my area, we have one tier 3 school and that's it. It's well recognized in the area and in the state, so I don't think that going to top-25 school just for the prestige factor in hopes of getting a job here is really going to help.  However, even at the top schools in my state, you can't really hope of getting a job anywhere else, so if you have an inkling that you don't want to work here, it's best to go out of state. 

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »

Being top 25% or top 3rd in the market you want to practice in at a local tier 1/tier 2, like the second or third best school in the market, is just as good or better than being bottom quarter at a better school across a few states. 

That's what I was thinking, but ...

It all depends on the area and the school.  In my area, we have one tier 3 school and that's it. It's well recognized in the area and in the state, so I don't think that going to top-25 school just for the prestige factor in hopes of getting a job here is really going to help.  However, even at the top schools in my state, you can't really hope of getting a job anywhere else, so if you have an inkling that you don't want to work here, it's best to go out of state. 

...It seems that it really depends on the individual market.

Ego

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »
It does depend. I remember you from way back & saw your lsn.

Choosing between Villanova/Temple v. GW would be a tough call. 

If you are set on Philly, go to a Philly school and try hard to do kick ass.  GW would be better if you wanted to do IP or you weren't set on PHilly, just on the midatlantic region or DC or something.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2006, 07:55:55 PM »

If you are set on Philly, go to a Philly school and try hard to do kick ass.  GW would be better if you wanted to do IP or you weren't set on PHilly, just on the midatlantic region or DC or something.

I applied to GW because my dad strongly encouraged me to, for convoluted family reasons.  I'm not expecting and admit there.  Sure, anything is possible, and if it happens, well that'll be a hard choice to make, since I primarily want to be here in Philly.  Actually, if I get dinged there, I'm making my dad give me $80.

Ego

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2006, 08:09:46 PM »

I applied to GW because my dad strongly encouraged me to, for convoluted family reasons.  I'm not expecting and admit there.  Sure, anything is possible, and if it happens, well that'll be a hard choice to make, since I primarily want to be here in Philly.  Actually, if I get dinged there, I'm making my dad give me $80.

Temple has the better rep in Philly right? 

Villanova has an aura effect from its undergrad.  And since I'm from LI, a lot of people go down there for school.