Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 97582 times)

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2005, 11:22:40 AM »
its true that their applicants might be less in number, but I dont think so in qualifications, since we all made our decisions about where to apply based on last years data, which has not been changed by the hurricane. Since tulane will most likely be slashing their acceptances by at least 1/4 or maybe even 1/3 (the dean was quoted at saying that Tulane UG will accept HALF as many applicants this year), I think that their ranking will be unchanged in terms of selectivity, maybe even boosted.
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
its true that their applicants might be less in number, but I dont think so in qualifications, since we all made our decisions about where to apply based on last years data, which has not been changed by the hurricane. Since tulane will most likely be slashing their acceptances by at least 1/4 or maybe even 1/3 (the dean was quoted at saying that Tulane UG will accept HALF as many applicants this year), I think that their ranking will be unchanged in terms of selectivity, maybe even boosted.

it will be interesting.  peoples decisions to apply to a place are based on more than last years data.  personally im not applying bc i dont have any desire to move to nola in 9 months specifically due to the hurricane.  it has nothing to do with the ranking or professors or anything else

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2005, 02:50:55 PM »
Baylor doesn't autoding everyone below 163/3.5, I know that for a fact (especially in the Spring and Summer application cycles).

I also know that may lawyers I have talked to view Baylor as the clear #2 to UT, with SMU rounding out the top 3.  Also, Baylor places well in Houston and DFW- which are the 2 largest legal markets in Texas, so I don't see a problem with that.  I am not saying that they should be T14 or anything like that, but I think their ranking is a bit decieving considering their grads place very well in the 2 largest legal markets in Texas.

Clearly though, UT is the school to go to if you want to practice in Texas- but Baylor isn't bad at all.

spud1987

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2005, 02:14:41 AM »
I dunno if it's been mentioned but I think San Diego is underrated.  It seems to me that everything I've read has been great about it.  I think it could be a tier 1.  Just my humble opinion though.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2005, 10:25:06 PM »
I think San Diego places well b/c it is the best school in San Diego and has no real competition from schools in its own city (LA- UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, Loyola, etc) (Northern Cal- Hastings, Davis).  The only schools they really compete with are Stanford and Boalt, and they really compete for jobs nationally instead of in San Diego.

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2005, 10:17:03 PM »
I don't think it's been said, but from reading up on it thus far it seems like Franklin Pierce is pretty underrated.  Granted, it's tough to place in Boston with all the competition from schools in that area, but their IP program is stellar (2006 USNews #6, higher ranked than Columbia, NYU, BU, Harvard, etc.).  Sadly, it's another victim of poor rep.

Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2005, 10:42:03 PM »
I don't think it's been said, but from reading up on it thus far it seems like Franklin Pierce is pretty underrated.  Granted, it's tough to place in Boston with all the competition from schools in that area, but their IP program is stellar (2006 USNews #6, higher ranked than Columbia, NYU, BU, Harvard, etc.).  Sadly, it's another victim of poor rep.

although the specialty ranking is flawed and I wouldn't trust it in general, I think franklin pierce places remarkably well in IP.

IP market is slowing now though
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

RocketBot

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2005, 03:38:19 PM »
I dunno if it's been mentioned but I think San Diego is underrated.  It seems to me that everything I've read has been great about it.  I think it could be a tier 1.  Just my humble opinion though.

San Diego is hugely underrated for sure.  Leiter pointed this out in his studies.  Many regard it as the fifth best law school in CA (after Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and USC).  I think over the years it will be ranked as such.

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »
Howard University is definately an underrated school. It has a caring faculty and has an almost equivalent number of law firms that come to hire students as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. I think it is an underrated school simply because it is an mostly African American school.