Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 99722 times)

m123

Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »
The University of Oklahoma is underrated.

Outstanding Court room. The 10th Cir. held court en banc for an entire week. The Oklahoma Civil Court of Appeals did the same.

Library is outstanding. I have visited almost every school in the top 15 or so and Oklahoma's is definitely in the top three or four. Harvard is obviously number one because of its size and history.

Faculty is easily accessible.

A very good regional image. The problem is that most Oklahoma student want to stay in the region so the New York and Chicago firms just don't have a lot of exposure to Oklahoma. This seems to be changing.

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2005, 05:47:49 PM »
To the OP.  Georgia State if you want to work in Atlanta is underrated.  Actually, regional preferences are completely left out of the formula, which I think completely undermines the ranking system.  It is my belief, through research, that the USNWR rankings are pretty much useless outside of the T20.

Also, if you wanted to practice environmental, Vermont is THE BEST, but they are ranked very low.

Infinite0

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2005, 07:55:24 PM »

I was thinking about Northeastern, which I think is probably underrated as they tend to downplay LSAT/GPA a little in their admissions which would bring down their ranking.  I really like the school, but have gotten into a couple of much better ranked schools (Loyola and American) and am having a hard time not going for the better ranked schools. 
I'm looking at the rankings published by USNews for 2004, certain things, like GPA, LSAT score, acceptance rate, bar passage (NU is a little better), starting salaries, etc. look pretty similar.  I picked NU because I'm already in Boston, and they came right out and offered me money.  I figure with the co-op program I don't commit to studying in just one city during law school (applied to schools in Boston, DC, and NYC).

I went to an open house at NU, and (an obviously biased) student explained how she was at the UN High Commission for Refugees for her co-op, along with an American student.  The American student, she said, didn't get as much out of the experience as she, because as part of the co-op program, this person got to be there full time, whereas the American student was there at odd hours and days.  The overseers didn't  give her as much to do because they didn't have her devoted full time, and also didn't have as much time to work with her and be confident in her abilities. 

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 02:51:54 PM »
NYC is more of a megalopolis. Once portland builds up some of those funny looking buildings that hold tons of people they will definetly grow.

you mean arcologies?
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 03:34:58 PM »
Is that a SimCity reference?  Classic.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 10:12:52 PM »
 :D

Your avatar looks like a cat begging for a treat... I just keep seeing it say "bc bc ...please.."

BC is a good school. I'm sure it'll hold its place at the very least.

bc bc bc bc bc please bc

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2005, 06:18:57 AM »
whotsamotta u.

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 03:12:12 AM »
See, now you're just pulling stuff out of your hat  ;)
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 08:44:06 AM »
I'm going to have to go with Appalachian School of Law. They just hired a new dean, and it looks like he's really going to take the school to the next level...

The new Banjo Law program is sure to be a hit.

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 09:27:06 AM »
I've lived in the south-east for about the past 15 years, Samford gets as much respect as Mercer does. Samford also has a huge alum base. For the life of me I can't figure out why Mercer made it to T2 and Samford hasn't. I went to Mercer undergrad and interned at the law school. It was ok, but from what I've seen Samford is in a better location and has a much nicer campus. Samford LSAT and GPA medians are a tad lower than Mercer's. That's the only thing I can think of that is keeping it out of T2.