Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 100204 times)

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 04:11:12 PM »
Portland is NOT a major metropolis. Small to midsized city, at most. You can drive clear across town in 20 minutes.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 04:12:31 PM »
Prospect, we all can't be New York.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 04:19:10 PM »
NYC is more of a megalopolis. Once portland builds up some of those funny looking buildings that hold tons of people they will definetly grow.

peanutty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 04:20:33 PM »
well, actually according to definition, portland, OR is most certainly a metropolis. (no specific population number has to be met to confer the honor of "metropolis", it simply has to be the center of activity for a larger region.) A small sized city is no larger than 200,000 at the very most, and portland is more than twice that size.  And after living and owning a car in Portland, I know for a fact you can't make it across town in 20 minutes - although that would have been nice. Semantics maybe, but i thought you might like to know.

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 04:22:42 PM »
I lived and owned a car in Portland for five years.  You certainly can drive across town - say from Lewis & Clark to the Columbia River - in 20 minutes.

In terms of the definition of metropolis, I'll concede it.  However, in terms of whether proximity to the 'metropolis' of Portland should boost L&C's ranking, you'd first have to give greater creedence to every school in every city larger than Portland, which, I think, would negate any positive associated with such a reconsideration.

peanutty

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »
that may be, but the columbia river is not clear across from Lewis and Clark (maybe halfway across town)...you cannot drive from one end of town to the opposite end of the town in 20 minutes, which is the argument you originally made.  hell you can't even do that in madison, WI. 

anyway - this is not the matter at hand, i simply suggested that they are underrated, and one of the criteria that i listed is their proximity to a metropolis - and that is correct.  fair?

peanutty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »
I see what you are saying about creedence given to every larger city than portland, but i think that those schools have been given consideration and that perhaps lewis and clark has not.  that is what this posting is about right? schools that have not been considered fully based on all criteria? 

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 04:34:18 PM »
Lewis & Clark is south of Portland, & the Columbia is north of it, no?

Yes, if all other schools have been properly credited for their location, & L&C has not, then certainly, L&C is underrated b/c of their location.  I find it difficult to believe, however, that L&C's location is not adequately factored into its ranking as compared to other schools and their locations.

peanutty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
Technically, L & C is not south of portland, it is IN portland.  not even technically....it just is. 

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »
Touche!  But you can drive from Milwaukee to the Columbia in 20 mins...