Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 101922 times)

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »
 There seems to be a lot of people saying BC is under rated. Any ideas why? I am considering that school but it would be a huge move from california and I would need a good reason.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »
BC is a great school.  Check out the BC v. BU threads.

I like its location.  Even though its not in the heart of Boston (end of the green line to the undergrad then a shuttle to the law school, basically in Newton), the campus is in a beautiful residential neighboorhood.

Also, though not for me because I am certain of my concentration, I like that they don't specifically do concnentrations in order to get a more well-rounded and complete view of the law.  If there is something you want to take that they don't offer, you can take it at ANY Boston ls if you qualify (though the process to go to Harvard is a lot more difficult than some of the other schools, for example, which makes sense).

This is all just what I heard on the tour, if you search BC and check out some of those threads they get a lot more detailed b/c a lot of people from Boston or BC post.  GL!
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

pistolpete23

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2006, 05:29:09 AM »

Tier II: San Francisco (USF)
-selective admissions, excellent starting salary, first-rate programs
-just doesn't seem to fit among the other Tier II schools

Tier IV: Suffolk
-beautiful facilities, excellent reputation throughout Boston area, powerful alumni
-just doesn't seem to rank among Tier IV schools

on a somewhat related matter, how the @#!* is Whittier and Golden Gate expected to compete with UCLA, Stanford, Boalt, Hastings, Davis, San Diego, and Pepperdine in their BAR passage rates? i don't think that they should be placed on ABA probation for not having adequate "human resources" in terms of their student body.

pistol pete

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2006, 05:39:04 AM »
Isn't USF a Tier III?
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

pistolpete23

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2006, 05:41:47 AM »

correction: Tier III

well, it should be a Tier II. if i went to USF, i would find this to be an outrage.

pistol pete

pistolpete23

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2006, 05:49:17 AM »

according to the results of the July 2005 CA Bar, USF had higher passage rates than UC-Davis, Pepperdine, and Pacific (which just happen to have higher USNWR rankings). they were also ranked at the bottom of the rankings in 2004.

that must count for something,

pistol pete

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2006, 05:50:45 AM »
I'm actually quite a fan of USF, but the real problem is that it competes with Stanford, Berkeley, Hastings, Davis, and even McGeorge in the area.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

pistolpete23

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2006, 08:08:21 AM »

nonetheless. i would go there in a heartbeat. i hope that there are some USF adcomms out there watching...

i'm all about promoting unrightfully underranked schools...

pistol pete

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2006, 01:54:07 AM »

nonetheless. i would go there in a heartbeat. i hope that there are some USF adcomms out there watching...

i'm all about promoting unrightfully underranked schools...

pistol pete

I have been thinking a lot between my most likely top choice acceptances (although I could get lucky with something else), and they are Southwestern in LA (one that I heard is grossly underrated with their alumni base), and USF, and then Pacific (which is ranked 90th).

The whole time I've been thinking Pacific with it's 2nd tier as opposed to 3rd tier ranking, but I have heard good things about both SW and USF, so it's going to be a tough choice.

Go_Blue26

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2006, 12:03:45 AM »
I hate these rankings.  I know many of you do as well.  That said, most of us are all very familiar with them.  Some are obsessed.  I've read some historical analysis of the US News Rankings.  I've also read some other studies of law school reputation. 

I'd say that some of the most underrated schools are:

UNC - Formerly ranked in the top 20 in USNWR, but - IMO - continues to focus more on GPA as opposed to LSAT.  Also continues to evaluate applicants with a bit more focus on subjective factors.

Illinois - Faculty is apparently highly regarded.  Again, another school once ranked to 20.

Tulane - Apparently, Tulane is one of the more national schools outside of the top 14.

Wisconsin - Again, another school that was once ranked top 20.

American - A *&^% ton of DC insiders, politicians, etc have gone to American.  I think American - likewise - tends not to play the rankings game, and is genuinely interested in admitting people based on more than primarily LSAT/GPA.  I also think American is seriously dedicated to helping underrepresented minorities and women.  Given that the university was founded by women, and began as a female-only institution, it makes sense.