Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 100465 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #370 on: May 12, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »
The U.S. provides more aid than any other country

uh huh, and its the SMALLEST percentage of GDP of any developed nation.  And you want to know why the money gets misused?  Because WE give it to the wrong people.
I like the US, but please ... foreign aid is not the place to try to point out our nation's strengths.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 12, 2007, 04:08:42 PM »
If you had read ANY of this thread, then you'd see that I am comparing welfare used by illegal immigrants within the U.S., to the welfare given to people outside this country.  We give aid to other countries to help them, and we have our OWN welfare system for OUR OWN citizens.  Our domestic system should not be used by those illegally in our country.  (I SAID ALL OF THIS ALREADY)

And besides, even if it is the smallest compared to GDP, it is still more than everyone else.  65% of NATO aid to Darfur came from the U.S. 

And who else are we supposed to give it to?  When we give it directly to the people, the government or local warlords steal it.  When we give it to the government to distribute, then they misuse it.  Are you saying that we should stop all aid because it might end up in the hands of the corrupt?  Then you'd be complaining that the U.S. doesn't give any aid. 

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 12, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »
If you had read ANY of this thread, then you'd see that I am comparing welfare used by illegal immigrants within the U.S., to the welfare given to people outside this country.  We give aid to other countries to help them, and we have our OWN welfare system for OUR OWN citizens.  Our domestic system should not be used by those illegally in our country.  (I SAID ALL OF THIS ALREADY)

And besides, even if it is the smallest compared to GDP, it is still more than everyone else.  65% of NATO aid to Darfur came from the U.S. 

And who else are we supposed to give it to?  When we give it directly to the people, the government or local warlords steal it.  When we give it to the government to distribute, then they misuse it.  Are you saying that we should stop all aid because it might end up in the hands of the corrupt?  Then you'd be complaining that the U.S. doesn't give any aid. 

yeah, I don't care about your argument.  I just really hate when people cite the statistic that we give more money than any other country.  The point is, we don't give as much as we could.  We don't get bragging rights.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 14, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »

yeah, I don't care about your argument.  I just really hate when people cite the statistic that we give more money than any other country.  The point is, we don't give as much as we could.  We don't get bragging rights.
We don't give as much as we could but we don't actually have to give. 

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »

We don't give as much as we could but we don't actually have to give

That's debatable and probably not true.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 14, 2007, 06:55:02 PM »
Keep in mind that foreign aid is not just charity- it is also a political tool. Very often, it comes with terms and conditions.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 14, 2007, 07:51:02 PM »

We don't give as much as we could but we don't actually have to give. 

That's debatable and probably not true.

Why?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 14, 2007, 07:56:18 PM »
see my post above

We give aid to get a country to do what we need it to do. Sometimes its quite necessary.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 14, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »
see my post above

We give aid to get a country to do what we need it to do. Sometimes its quite necessary.

Without debating the substance of the above, that's not what you said earlier. What you said was "That's debatable and probably not true" in response to "We don't give as much as we could but we don't actually have to give." Your saying that *sometimes* we have to give aid suggests that there are instances where we do not actually have to provide any aid, no?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 14, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »
sigur said "thats debatable and probably not true" - not me.

All I did was give a reason for why we sometimes need to give aid.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?