Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 101968 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
And how do you know that people don't come here to the U.S. to use the system?  I have spoken with many who have admitted the same.  They aren't horrible people and they don't represent the entire population, but to pretend that such people don't exist is naive and foolish. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »
   good day, sir.

And a good day to you.  I'm sorry that the truth was so difficult to swollow. 

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
Yes, there are lots of statistics about this.  I never said that illegal aliens are the cause of all evil in this country, although lawlessness definately doesn't make the U.S. a more democratic place to live. 

I understand that they come here to seek a better life (many do, not all-there are those who just want to use the U.S.)

Another sad little fact is that 1/4th of Guatemala's GDP is based off of remitances (money sent by Guatemelans in the U.S. and other countries back to their families). 

Finally, if they are all so proud of their countries, why don't they try and change their governments and their policies instead of coming up here and trying to force us to accomodate them. 

There are huge percentage of people who agree w/you. I live in the south and when I walk around a store I get the worst looks (I'm not latino but I'm told I look like one)and comments. CAL may call it a flame but I know too many people who have this point of view.

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2007, 04:36:36 PM »

It shows that there are people who agree with the statement. carry on. I was just checking to see the underrated schools.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2007, 04:38:26 PM »
Border security will reduce illegal immigration which will reduce crime (not to mention save the lives of hundreds who die crossing the border every year.  It is a pretty simple chain of thought. 

2. Yes, they come here for a better life. No one is going to move to another country just to screw them over. Don't be ridiculous.
You obviously misunderstood.  They didn't come here just to screw over the United States, but to take advantage of its abundance.  I have met several who trash their apartments and could careless-why?  It isn't their property and it isn't their problem.  They are in the U.S. for a few years to make a ton of money and then they want to go back to their country.  Unfortunately, they don't understand how expensive the U.S. is and they get stuck here for MANY more years than they had anticipated.  Those are two very different concepts.  Try reading more closely. 

I understand that they come here to seek a better life (many do, not all-there are those who just want to use the U.S.)

Maybe you should read all of my post next time so I don't have to quote myself.

My other comments are not irrelevant, they are statistics WHICH YOU ASKED FOR. 

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_1_the_illegal_alien.html

Here is the Minnesota link:  http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:vL_95FeshPgJ:www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/Administration/Report_The_Impact_of_Illegal_Immigration_on_Minnesota_120805035315_Illegal%2520Immigration%2520Brief%252026.pdf+Illegal+immigrant+prison+statistics&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2007, 04:45:31 PM »
I don't see why you are struggling to understand points that others are making.  These aren't difficult concepts we are discussing. 

And I did think-if you had read of all my posts, then you will see that I was only speaking about a small part of the population that are here to "take advantage" of the system. This means that they ARE NOT trying to bring down the U.S., but are seeking their own self interests as the expense of others. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2007, 04:50:42 PM »
  you never showed that reducing illegal immigration reduces crime

One third of prisoners are illegal aliens, yet they make up MUCH less than one third of the general population.  There is a greater tendency towards crime among illegal aliens.  WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?  Significantly decreasing illegal immigration will help to reduce crime. 

Great.  Make them legal and your argument goes poof.

Ha ha, this is true.  Unfortunately that doesn't reduce crime, it just perverts statistics.  Besides if we made them all legal, would that stop illegal immigration and the problems associated with it? 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »
  As opposed to you

The difference is that i don't break the law when I am out trying to improve my life.  I don't have to steal someone's identity to gain employment (SS number), use government resources paid for by citizens of another country to help out fellow citizens who are struggling, and I don't try to force another to change their system and laws to accomodate me. 

So YES, there is a BIG difference.  I work legally with in the established system to improve my life.  I don't cheat the system or break the rules (which hurts others) for my own benefit. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2007, 05:01:26 PM »
In 2005, I paid exactly zero dollars to both my state of residence and the federal government.  That's right; they gave me refunds for every penny I paid in taxes (except sales taxes and such, which anyone who buys stuff in my state would be paying).

Meanwhile I received benefit from both state and federal programs.

Connect the dots. 

Exactly!  This is a great system.  And one day when you (and myself included) have good jobs and are out of college, then we will be paying taxes into the system, which will be used to help other college students.  We maybe taking more than we are giving now, but that will change.  NOT so with illegal aliens. 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
  you never showed that reducing illegal immigration reduces crime

One third of prisoners are illegal aliens, yet they make up MUCH less than one third of the general population.  There is a greater tendency towards crime among illegal aliens.  WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?  Significantly decreasing illegal immigration will help to reduce crime. 

a) you never stated this before.
b) link?

People who are functionally illiterate make up less than 2/3 of the population, yet that's what percentage of the prison population they take up. It has more to do with economics and ability to navigate the system than anything else- not necessarily that a certain group is more inclined toward criminal behavior.