Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 100220 times)

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2006, 01:20:43 AM »
question: you may not know, but do all those credit card companies do a lot of recruiting at widener?

just curious cuz it seems like theres a trillion credit card companies out of delaware, and widener is the only LS
I know they do a ton of corporate stuff.  In fact, they have a whole seperate law journal just to deal with corporate law.  Plus, most of the biglaw firms have offices in Wilmington to deal with all of the corporate stuff.  I'm going there more for the trial advocacy program, so I'm not sure that biglaw is my thing.  Although, after filling out all of the financial aid forms, I'm starting to think that I may not be able to do gov't law right now.

As for those credit card firms, I'm not sure that they hire folks right out of law school.  I'm almost positive you'd have to have about 5 years of experience in order to get an in-house counsel job.  But that's only a guess.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2006, 08:24:32 AM »
In all fairness, I posted that before the jump (or return) to #26...

I'd say Emory is right where it should be...24-26...

I'd love to see us get down to the low 20s again, but I think the rankings game is too insane now.... schools in the top 25 will be VERY unwilling to give any ground....

i think we'll pass W&L at least in the next rankings...we stole their dean  8)
Emory 3L.

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »
Or you can look at it as...the Dean at W&L already brought that program up to par and is now looking for a new challenge - Emory.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »
Emory 3L.

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »
It just sounds like he accomplished what he set out to accomplish and is now looking for a new challenge.
http://www.law.wlu.edu/news/storydetail.asp?id=156

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2006, 05:01:41 PM »
i agree with you, but i think he left W&L because he brought it up as high as it can get and emory has the potential to go higher then W&L, people are going to disagree with me but what's the point of having an opinion if no one disagrees with you  8)?
Emory 3L.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2006, 04:54:17 PM »
so all these  schools you guys say are underrated- which schools ranked above them should not be?

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2006, 08:03:26 PM »
I think the overrated question is much more interesting. WUSTL is overrated for sure. Northwestern is also overrated, IMO. Yale is overrated only in the sense that it is not clearly superior to Harvard, even though it is always ranked way superior. You could make a case for either being 1, but Yale always is 1 just because it's smaller.

Columbia 2L.

Dunson II

« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »
I think the overrated question is much more interesting. WUSTL is overrated for sure. Northwestern is also overrated, IMO. Yale is overrated only in the sense that it is not clearly superior to Harvard, even though it is always ranked way superior. You could make a case for either being 1, but Yale always is 1 just because it's smaller.

I used to think Fordham was underrated, but now I think the opposite is the case.  They have like the 16th best student bodies yet they cannot crack the top 25...something is wrong about that.  There placement is better than BLS and Dozo, but not that many places better. 

Dunson II

« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »

I used to think Fordham was underrated, but now I think the opposite is the case.  They have like the 16th best student bodies yet they cannot crack the top 25...something is wrong about that.  There placement is better than BLS and Dozo, but not that many places better. 

IMO Fordham's ranking this year is right where it deserves to be... it is a regional school.

But it is overrated because of the region it is in, if it were in Portland, Maine, it would not be ranked so high.