Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 97555 times)

twoxfaced

• View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2006, 03:18:44 PM »
id have to say cuny from what i've heard.  the students i've met are all brilliant and hardworking and passionate.  i hear the same about the faculty. i hear many opportunities are given to cuny students that they wouldnt receive at other larger, more cuthroat and numbers based schools.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2006, 04:06:26 PM »
It's my impression that law students in general are not ridiculously bright but are instead hardworking.

I don't think that impression is really all that accurate.  It really depends on the individual law student in question.  I know some law students and lawyers who are real idiots.  Seriously.  And on the flip side, some of the smarter people I know are law students.  I don't know anyone attending a top 20 school at this point, either.  Of the people I know who did attend top 25 schools, the people I know who attend schools in the 50-70 range are pretty much their equals.

I don't think 'law students' is valuable as a group identifier for any purpose other than lumping together a bunch of people who all share in common the study of law.  Beyond that, there are jocks, drama queens, hippies, nerds, geniuses, idiots, hard workers, slackers, alcoholics, drug addicts, the out of shape, gunners, parents, ex military, etc.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »
The kids I know at Fordham aren't that smaht but they work hahd...I think a stunner could walk in there and tear it up if you put your mind to it...
Boalt 1L

redemption

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »
There are probably very few law schools about which that is not true.

redemption

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »
I think I was a bit stand-offish in my statements. That night be it. I'm not fretting.  :)

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2006, 05:47:13 AM »
[quote author=retake
Here comes my GAK:

I agree.  In fact, I think that it could be argued that it is better.  It takes people who have statistically significantly lower GPA's, statistically significantly lower LSAT scores, and puts them into SCOTUS clerkships, top 50 law firms all over the country, and academia at nearly the same rates as Yale.
[/quote]

It's been said that ranking schools by the quality of students they admit is akin to ranking hospitals by the condition of the patients they admit.

An imperfect analogy, but one that has some sense to it.
Columbia 2L.

redemption

« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
[quote author=retake
Here comes my GAK:

I agree.  In fact, I think that it could be argued that it is better.  It takes people who have statistically significantly lower GPA's, statistically significantly lower LSAT scores, and puts them into SCOTUS clerkships, top 50 law firms all over the country, and academia at nearly the same rates as Yale.

It's been said that ranking schools by the quality of students they admit is akin to ranking hospitals by the condition of the patients they admit.

[/quote]

Really? Gee, I don't know about that.

Stifler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
fordham is the 15th most selective school in the nation.  they are ranked around 30...

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Selectivity = Input
We can measure this very well. The other main criteria for evaluating a school should be output, but measuring career prospects is considerably more difficult than gpas, lsats, and acceptance rates. Is Duke better than Yale because more Dukies enter private practice immediately and thus make more $$$? Some clerkships more presitigious than V50? Measuring the quality of the incoming students is probably the best way to evaluate a school, assuming the career options are in line with your expectations. Fordham is extremely tough to get into for its rank and places very well in the largest market.
Emory '09

cyberrev

« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »
[quote author=retake
Here comes my GAK:

Really? Gee, I don't know about that.
[/quote]

no, it would be more like ranking hospitals by the interns