Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 100791 times)

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »
Whats the other? Marquette U? They are Tier 2, aren't they?

yea
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2006, 03:54:33 PM »
From what I understand, you need a 155 to be in the running at Marquette and a 162 for Wis.

rugger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »
stetson by far is underrated... it is the 1st US school to win the world moot court championship since 96', it has the #1 trial advocacy program in the country and #3 legal writing and research program, highly respected, the attornies i work for all say that it is much better than U Miami (which is overrated)
Stetson Fall 2006

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2006, 03:37:21 PM »
Rutgers - Newark...
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

redemption

« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2006, 03:42:24 PM »
The correct answer is Fordham. A school should be measured by the quality of its student body and by the quality of their career opportunities afterward. There's no way that Fordham is 27th by that metric. It's a T14 that isn't recognized as such by USNews.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »
I agree that Chicago is underrated. It has the best faculty of any law school in the country, bar none. Plus, it's a small school so there are better student-faculty relationships, from what I've heard. I can't quite figure out why it isn't ranked 4th, ahead of NYU and Columbia, and maybe it should even be a bit higher than that. In terms of just the education quality that you get, it might be the best. I guess it doesn't have the universally recognizable name that some of the schools ranked above it have, but it does get mad respect in the legal community.

Would have applied, but I did undergrad at Chicago and was ready to move on. Plus, personal factors meant I needed to be on the East Coast.

Columbia 2L.

redemption

« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56:04 PM »
Red, I usually find myself in agreement with you so often that someone felt compelled to introduce me to the term GAK.  ;)  But on this I disagree.  The quality of a school should mostly be a reflection of the quality of the faculty, specifically the faculty's influence on the student body.  We don't have a standard of measure for law school to show this, but it would be measured by pre and post testing.  If a school can take an average student body and create above average graduates, it's a good school.  If a school can regularly take a student body with credentials lower than their peer schools and create graduates who clearly outperform their peer schools' graduates, then they are underranked.  I think that is why so many of us value the U of Chicago.  Some people pick NYU and Columbia over Chicago, but usually because of either geography or the perception that it is much more difficult than other law schools.  If anything, Fordham's strong student body (I haven't looked at it, but trust you) should be a mark against it.

I am Chicago's biggest fan. I think it may be the best law school in the country, with only Yale as its peer.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »
The correct answer is Fordham. A school should be measured by the quality of its student body and by the quality of their career opportunities afterward. There's no way that Fordham is 27th by that metric. It's a T14 that isn't recognized as such by USNews.

i have read in a couple of books that Fordham kids r seen as very hard working but not rediculously bright. i have never met someone who attends fordham nor am i saying this is true. i just found it interesting that it appeared in more than one book i was reading.
Attending: OU

redemption

« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »

i have read in a couple of books that Fordham kids r seen as very hard working but not rediculously bright. i have never met someone who attends fordham nor am i saying this is true. i just found it interesting that it appeared in more than one book i was reading.

It's my impression that law students in general are not ridiculously bright but are instead hardworking. By the imperfect measures of LSAT scores and GPAs, those students outperform many student bodies above them in the rankings.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »
i concede the second point. the first point is rather interesting. i wonder how true it is. i guess we will all find out in a few months.
Attending: OU