Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are underrated by US News?  (Read 97491 times)

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are underrated by US News?
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2006, 06:58:37 AM »
Another underrated school: UCLA & Texas.  It really should be Sweet Sixteen, not T14. 

t14 is a little strange, but 'sweet 16' isnt any better.  vandy is as national as ucla

Yeah.  They're included too.

I think the top 25 is a better term to use.  Of course, you can still distinguish between 1-10, 10-15, 15-20, 20-25 etc.

But it is not so hard and fast like we make it on the internet.

i agree, round #s are better and there t14 is a line in the sand.  regionality still comes into play for the lower t14 schools

It comes into play for all of the T14.  Going to a t14 does not suffice.  You need to do well there to access jobs around the country.  Of course, you can do relatively poorly and get a good job in a major market or a great job in a secondary market with ties to the area.  But you're less likely to make market and you almost definitely won't get your first choice firm.

it doesn't matter where you rank at harvard, unless you have your heart set on one of the ten most selective firms in the country
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »
It does depend. I remember you from way back & saw your lsn.

Choosing between Villanova/Temple v. GW would be a tough call. 

If you are set on Philly, go to a Philly school and try hard to do kick ass.  GW would be better if you wanted to do IP or you weren't set on PHilly, just on the midatlantic region or DC or something.

I applied to GW because my dad strongly encouraged me to, for convoluted family reasons.  I'm not expecting and admit there.  Sure, anything is possible, and if it happens, well that'll be a hard choice to make, since I primarily want to be here in Philly.  Actually, if I get dinged there, I'm making my dad give me $80.

Temple has the better rep in Philly right? 

Villanova has an aura effect from its undergrad.  And since I'm from LI, a lot of people go down there for school. 

This is only anecdotal evidence but when I saw Philadelphia Magazine's listing of the best lawyers in town it seemed like a lot of them went to Villanova, not so many from Temple. They're about the same in the USNWR rankings though.

Ego

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2006, 08:56:06 AM »
Another underrated school: UCLA & Texas.  It really should be Sweet Sixteen, not T14. 

t14 is a little strange, but 'sweet 16' isnt any better.  vandy is as national as ucla

Yeah.  They're included too.

I think the top 25 is a better term to use.  Of course, you can still distinguish between 1-10, 10-15, 15-20, 20-25 etc.

But it is not so hard and fast like we make it on the internet.

i agree, round #s are better and there t14 is a line in the sand.  regionality still comes into play for the lower t14 schools

It comes into play for all of the T14.  Going to a t14 does not suffice.  You need to do well there to access jobs around the country.  Of course, you can do relatively poorly and get a good job in a major market or a great job in a secondary market with ties to the area.  But you're less likely to make market and you almost definitely won't get your first choice firm.

it doesn't matter where you rank at harvard, unless you have your heart set on one of the ten most selective firms in the country

When I was using the term t14, it includes but can't really reflect the differences, between the T3 schools and the rest. 

My basic point was that getting into the T14 doesn't just open up every door to you.  You still need to do pretty well to get a V20 job.  And if you want to clerk or do academia like so many people do, then you better do extremely well. 

And also it was in terms of regionality.  Being bottom half at a t14 (sans hys) may have difficulty getting back to X market across the country.  Because their grades are poor.  And the firm might as well just hire a local tier 3 grad that graduated Summa and EIC. 

Basically I meant that the great firms have high cutoff points.  You'll get a job, just maybe at a 50-100 or in a secondary market.  Like I said, not your first choice.

Ego

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2006, 08:57:16 AM »
It does depend. I remember you from way back & saw your lsn.

Choosing between Villanova/Temple v. GW would be a tough call. 

If you are set on Philly, go to a Philly school and try hard to do kick ass.  GW would be better if you wanted to do IP or you weren't set on PHilly, just on the midatlantic region or DC or something.

I applied to GW because my dad strongly encouraged me to, for convoluted family reasons.  I'm not expecting and admit there.  Sure, anything is possible, and if it happens, well that'll be a hard choice to make, since I primarily want to be here in Philly.  Actually, if I get dinged there, I'm making my dad give me $80.

Temple has the better rep in Philly right? 

Villanova has an aura effect from its undergrad.  And since I'm from LI, a lot of people go down there for school. 

This is only anecdotal evidence but when I saw Philadelphia Magazine's listing of the best lawyers in town it seemed like a lot of them went to Villanova, not so many from Temple. They're about the same in the USNWR rankings though.

Yeah they are about the same I thought so.

Maybe Nova has a few more legacy kind of lawyers.  Or the old money in Philly goes there or something.  Seems like that kind of place to me.  From what people who attend say. 

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2006, 09:32:30 AM »
I've been trying to figure out the differences in perception between Villanova, Rutgers, and Temple.  I'd prefer Temple based only on tuition, if nothing else, but they are much stronger in study abroad opportunities, something important to me, and I'd like to be there because a family member went there and then we'd have a family tradition.  I'm still thrilled to be in at Villanova and would go there without hesitation if it came to it, though it's not cheap (~$28k tuition).

It seems like the schools have almost equal reputations, but I'd be interested in seeing that magazine article.  What month was it in?

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
I've been trying to figure out the differences in perception between Villanova, Rutgers, and Temple.  I'd prefer Temple based only on tuition, if nothing else, but they are much stronger in study abroad opportunities, something important to me, and I'd like to be there because a family member went there and then we'd have a family tradition.  I'm still thrilled to be in at Villanova and would go there without hesitation if it came to it, though it's not cheap (~$28k tuition).

It seems like the schools have almost equal reputations, but I'd be interested in seeing that magazine article.  What month was it in?

Pretty sure it was December. It had Ben Franklin holding a laptop on the cover.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2006, 11:55:18 AM »

Pretty sure it was December. It had Ben Franklin holding a laptop on the cover.

Thanks for the info.

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2006, 04:17:03 PM »
I think UHouston is underrated.  I don't understand how it can be #2 on the Healthcare Law specialties list, and #4 on the IP specialties list, but end up #65 on the general list.
UGPA 3.18 / GGPA 3.9 / LSAT 168
In: UT, UH, UI-UC, UI-B, SMU
Waiting: W&M, George Mason, STCL
WL/Held: None
Out: None

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
has anyone mentioned south texas as underrated?

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »
Akron is #84 without rep rating. Their new stats will be (156-160, 3.2-3.7) with a median of 56K salary and a bar rate of 84%. This is something you would expect of a T2 school. Their rep rating is 1.8 and 2.1.. though they are a pretty small law school.