Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 487 times)

ccorsi

Need advice
« on: March 13, 2005, 08:09:46 PM »
OK - just starting to panic.

I only applied to 1 law school - Temple.  Why only one you ask?  Because I didn't realize that I was supposed to apply to 20 or so like the rest of you :)

Anyway, Temple makes the most sense for me because I am 34 with a good job and I have to go to school at night.  I didn't take the LSAT until Feb since I didn't decide until December that I wanted to go to law school.  I just got my score last week and it was a less than stellar 156 (I knew I should have studied more than 2 practice tests from a book I bought at Borders).  I have a strong GPA from UPenn (3.89) that LSAC calls a 3.95.

OK, it is late in the game and I am starting to worry that I might not get into Temple since I tanked the LSAT a bit.  I need to get some advice on schools in commutable distance from Philadelphia metro area that take applicartions post March 1 and offer an Evening program.

Thanks.

C2

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:49:12 PM »
Looks like you should be doing some research on the LSAC site

sclclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 11:40:27 AM »
dude, you didn't tank the lsat, a 156 is strong, specifically for a 34 year old in the workforce.  I earned the same score, am 33, and can choose among Colorado, Texas and Wisconsin.  keep your chin up

ethelmag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »
Maybe you should wait and apply again next year. That would give you time to study more for the LSAT and take it again, apply to more schools, and be among the first people considered instead of trying to sneak in under the wire to whoever has room left. Since you've already got a good job, it probably wouldn't be too much of a hardship to wait. Besides, it will give you more time to mull over the idea of law school, since you just decided to go.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:56:50 AM »
1) you should have panicked before now
2) wait it out, if you get in it doesn't matter
3) contact the admissions office (or hit their website) and inquire on when all decisions will be made by
4) if you don't hear shortly after that date, plant to retake the LSAT in June or October and reapply for '06 entry
5) start picking about 10 schools you might want to attend and do your research - web first, LSD, and then visit a couple of your top picks - maybe 3 reach, 4 you're pretty sure about, and 3 no kidding they'll let you in and worship you for choosing their school.

IMO you're too late for 05 admissions for most schools given your scores (not that they're bad, but they are not outstanding given the timing)  I base this on the recent open house I attended at IU-Indy where they said they plan to have all the scholarship and financial aid info out by the end of March with deposits due in April.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 12:49:34 PM »
dude, you didn't tank the lsat, a 156 is strong, specifically for a 34 year old in the workforce.  I earned the same score, am 33, and can choose among Colorado, Texas and Wisconsin.  keep your chin up

Did you really get into Texas with a 156?  I'd be curious to see the rest of your app.  It must have been outstanding!