Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is anybody else really scared by this BigTex thing?  (Read 2392 times)

WoeIsMe

Re: Is anybody else really scared by this BigTex thing?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 01:51:45 PM »
http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/aba/2001/ABA_CODE.HTM#Part%201%20-%20Client%20Lawyer%20Relationship

Rule 8.3 Reporting Professional Misconduct

(a) A lawyer having knowledge that another lawyer has committed a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct that raises a substantial question as to that lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects, shall inform the appropriate professional authority.

see my previous post

IndyEntrepreneur

• 3.94 / 168
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - indy_entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 01:54:18 PM »
Indy - I agree with everything you just said and I think that it is the best synopsis of the situation that I have read on this board.

However, it absolutely blows my mind that the UT adcomms are taking the time to troll this board when they have a stack of over 6,000 applications sitting in their offices. 

It doesn't surprise me at all.  It would surprise me if they didn't read these boards.  Think about it: If you were responsible for hiring at an organization and prospective employees congregated online to debate the strengths and weaknesses of your company and your competitors, wouldn't you be curious enough to check it out?  I know I would.

I would as well.  For that matter, I don't think that we even know that UT unearthed this information themselves.  Someone reading this board could have been PO'd that Tex was possibly "taking their seat" and reported him to UT themselves.  Did I miss any concrete information to the contrary?
Accepted:  Boalt, Duke, IU Bloomington (in-state, 19.5k/3 yr), Miami, U Illinois (full tuition), U Texas(in-state, 5k/yr)
Rejected:  ---
Waitlisted:  Northwestern, U Michigan

Pending:  Harvard, Notre Dame, USC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=IndyEntrepreneur

Garbled

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »
An adcom isn't going to bother reading this rumer-sewer. Give me a break.

MBUSA

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 02:31:47 PM »
So, it's not really clear to what extent adcomms will read our posts. But my fear comes from the other side, namely how will this affect the tone of posts on LSD in the future?

This admission cycle is already in full swing and i think most posters here feel that they should be genuine on the boards here. But I feel a bit apprehensive about next year.

If new members in the next cycle get a hold of this set of threads before they've become acclimated (sp?) to the LSD environment, it's possible they'll take a "better safe than sorry" approach and treat LSD as simply another way of showing adcomms their personalities. Because they won't have any love for LSD yet, they'll simply see the board as a tool much like the personal statement and treat it as such.

What'll the end result of this "doomsday" scenario be? I dunno, but i think people will start being overly nice, which is sad.
For example, when I read a nice post from, say our global moderator, I feel confident it's genuine and she's actually a nice person. Were i to come back to this board next year and see a similarly nice post from a new member, I wouldn't be nearly as sure...

i think i'm just paranoid.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 04:01:53 PM »
MB -

I think the "being nice" stuff is already starting to happen.
It seems to me that in the past week or so the posts have become more friendly and helpful than the posts I've read in the past.

The posts a month ago seemed much more along the lines of "you suck, you're incompetent, what kind of TTT idiot are you!"
I was getting discouraged to the point that I wasn't sure I should read/post on these boards.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 05:00:18 PM »
Indy - I agree with everything you just said and I think that it is the best synopsis of the situation that I have read on this board.

However, it absolutely blows my mind that the UT adcomms are taking the time to troll this board when they have a stack of over 6,000 applications sitting in their offices. 

It doesn't surprise me at all.  It would surprise me if they didn't read these boards.  Think about it: If you were responsible for hiring at an organization and prospective employees congregated online to debate the strengths and weaknesses of your company and your competitors, wouldn't you be curious enough to check it out?  I know I would.

I would as well.  For that matter, I don't think that we even know that UT unearthed this information themselves.  Someone reading this board could have been PO'd that Tex was possibly "taking their seat" and reported him to UT themselves.  Did I miss any concrete information to the contrary?

That is very true!  I had not even thought of that.  UT may not have even been "trolling" these boards.  Someone else may have tipped them off and they may have just checked it out.

And if they weren't before, they probably are now!!!

I love the University of Texas!  Monica Ingram is all that and a bag of chips.  And Pat Ellison rocks!!!
Attending: Texas

TexasHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 10:29:42 PM »
TradeWonk  -    Where will you be attending law school in the fall?

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 11:29:49 PM »
TradeWonk  -    Where will you be attending law school in the fall?

Why do you ask BigTex?
"...I keep getting older, and they stay the same age."

TexasHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 11:31:39 PM »
I am not BigTex. I can't ask where you will be attending?

TexasHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 11:42:36 PM »
For someone attending a Tier 2 school you sure act like you know alot (not insulting other T2 student..just TradeWonk).  Why don't you just chill sometimes instead of acting like you will perform better than others in law school.

Once again I am not BigTex..which proves that you don't know as much as YOU THINK you do.