Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: someone calm my shattered nerves!!!!  (Read 5632 times)

siehead

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: someone calm my shattered nerves!!!!
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2005, 11:25:58 PM »
wow, i should have kept reading speedy's post. i kept trying to figure out what it said in farsi.

am i supposed to jump over a fire tonight or tomorrow night? i'll light a candle in the living room. :)

I don't know for sure. Tomorrow is the celebration, but I think that it is tonight that us persians head to the beach in droves. Kind of like Christmas and Christmas Eve. Actual new year is on Sunday morning though.

Speeedyyy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2005, 11:37:22 PM »
Happy Naw Ruz! I'm so bored I think I am going to eat my goldfish and nasty wheat (you have to be Persian to get the joke).

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2005, 12:11:15 AM »
oh no, i forgot to do a haftseen!  :(  maybe i'll buy a goldfish tomorrow?  and pull some grass out from the from of my building and put it on the table next to the goldfish?

oops.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

siehead

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2005, 12:26:44 AM »
I figure if I visit my mommy, and she has a haftseen, that it's good enough.
I can never remember all the stuff that is supposed to go on there anyways so what's the point. Also, I think you can buy some premade ones now at select persian stores, talk about lazy.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2005, 12:45:25 AM »
i know there are 7 things.  ;)  apple, coins...  fish and grass?  do those count in the haft?

i'm going to my parents' house too, so i'll join your "good enough" sentiment.  it's just my first year in a real apartment (not at school with roommates), so i wanted to have my own.  also wanted a christmas tree, but that didn't work out either.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

siehead

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2005, 12:54:22 AM »
It's wheat grass I think, or maybe some sort of bean-sprout..
OK, I broke down and just did a google search, here it are the ingredients.

Traditionally, the seven items are sekeh (coin); samanu (a sweet wheat pudding); sabzi (green sprouts); sonbol (hyacinth flower); seer (garlic); senjed (dried wild olive); and serkeh (vinegar). The various items symbolize justice, good thoughts, good deeds, prosperity, virtue, immortality and generosity. In addition, there are goldfish, colored eggs, a mirror and candles.

By the way, does anyone remember my old avatar with Isfahan in the background, maybe I should put it back up.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2005, 09:52:53 PM »
oh wow, i didn't know that was isfahan!  i've never been to iran.   :-[

thanks for looking up the seven "S" items.  i don't even own most of those items.  i have coins, a hand-blown glass aquarium, powdered garlic...  yeah, that's as close as i can get.  oops.  maybe 4 years from now.  :)

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2005, 09:59:58 PM »
now that my shattered nerves have been calmed by loyola i am glad to see this little thread has been adopted by others and will happily live on.... :)

siehead

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2005, 01:23:13 AM »
well done! Supposedly my app has been incomplete this whole time at Loyola, missing the personal statement. Let's see if they offer me anything...
But enough about me, good for you, glad your nerves can be put back together again.
Pookie - Go to Iran!!!! The most beautiful experience imaginable, especially with the family you will meet, that was one of the most intense experiences of my life, I never knew I had over 30 cousins, aunts and uncles!

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2005, 02:22:39 AM »
i'd love to go, but it's not the best time for a little american girl to be running around :)  my farsi has a pretty thick accent, so it would be glaringly obvious that i'm not from there.  i have some first cousins and an uncle that i've never met, so i definitely need to go at some point.  hopefully conditions improve, though.