Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: someone calm my shattered nerves!!!!  (Read 5413 times)

TBoneUCLA

someone calm my shattered nerves!!!!
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:10:26 AM »
i feel like i am at an "AA" meeting or something....

okay, i have been accpeted to loyola la, my "backup school"

i have been dinged at ucla, michigan, and surprisingly, u wash (the three schools i really wanted to go to)

5 left to hear from!!

i am just freaked cause my numbers arent bad 3.42 from ucla/164 lsat. (though i was scoring 170+ bunches of times in practice tests, i was not convinced the lower score would matter THAT much)

clearly, it does. ALOT.

i have glowing LORs, a very well recieved PS, 3 years of unique and successful WE, and all that stuff. but i am feeling like all the effort i put into this crap is going down the tubes because i scored lowish on my lsat! someone calm me down! this isnt supposed to happen to "me" (i think we all feel that way about crappy events)

waiting on: hastings, ut, nd, wustl, usc

lil_token

Re: someone calm my shattered nerves!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 01:29:52 AM »
I'd be surprised if you didn't get into Hastings, unless there is something wrong with your application. 

Keep your head up -- things will work out!

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:35:47 AM »
I'd be surprised if you didn't get into Hastings, unless there is something wrong with your application. 

thanks lil_token. you and i have butt heads in some other thread, so i appreciate the commradery.

i also want to say i didnt apply to ANY schools i would not have an interest in going to, so i am not whining. i could get psyched about some aspects of loyola if it was my only choice, i just assumed it wouldnt be my only choice....

lil_token

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 01:39:16 AM »

thanks lil_token. you and i have butt heads in some other thread, so i appreciate the commradery.

i also want to say i didnt apply to ANY schools i would not have an interest in going to, so i am not whining. i could get psyched about some aspects of loyola if it was my only choice, i just assumed it wouldnt be my only choice....

That's a good attitude to have.  Be prepared to go to Loyola and love it, but keep your hopes up for the other schools.  When did you go complete?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:45:38 AM »

That's a good attitude to have.  Be prepared to go to Loyola and love it, but keep your hopes up for the other schools.  When did you go complete?

well that is a big question. i applied to 6 in mid dec, but one of them went complete jan 11 (UW), one feb 1 (michigan) and two that i know of mid feb (hastings/usc). ugh

i freaked out and applied to ut, nd, and wustl kinda late (late jan-mid feb) i KNOW that isnt the best, but i am glad i did seeing as how everything is going down. i think i might get a bite from wustl and maybe a little nip from ut and nd, but who knows....

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 02:48:39 AM »
you have two options: (1) be happy with what you have (loyola and possibly some others soon to come), or (2) take a risk, retake the LSAT if you think you can score higher, sit out a year, apply super early in the next cycle.  the two most obvious things that are hurting you are your LSAT score and the date you applied.  if you're happy with loyola or any of your pending ones, it might not be worth waiting a year.  if you think it's worth waiting a year, think about retaking.  you could even put down a deposit at loyola/other, retake in june, get your score in early july, and decide whether you're going to withdraw your deposit and apply in the next cycle based on your score improvement.

the rejections you've gotten so far are from your reaches with those numbers, though, including UW since you're out of state, right?  the ones you have left are your targets, so a couple of those could easily come through for you.

btw, a third option is to go where you get in and try to transfer up, but that is so difficult to do that i wouldn't count on that as your game plan.

good luck!  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 03:27:16 AM »
you have two options: (1) be happy with what you have (loyola and possibly some others soon to come), or (2) take a risk, retake the LSAT if you think you can score higher, sit out a year, apply super early in the next cycle.  the two most obvious things that are hurting you are your LSAT score and the date you applied.  if you're happy with loyola or any of your pending ones, it might not be worth waiting a year.  if you think it's worth waiting a year, think about retaking.  you could even put down a deposit at loyola/other, retake in june, get your score in early july, and decide whether you're going to withdraw your deposit and apply in the next cycle based on your score improvement.

the rejections you've gotten so far are from your reaches with those numbers, though, including UW since you're out of state, right?  the ones you have left are your targets, so a couple of those could easily come through for you.

btw, a third option is to go where you get in and try to transfer up, but that is so difficult to do that i wouldn't count on that as your game plan.

good luck!  :)

well i would hope my applying in feb wouldnt be nearly as detrimental as my lsat score. but we shall see.

even if everyone else shines me on i would be pretty happy with hastings, cause the bay area is pretty bomb and i was never gonna get into boalt or stanford, even with a big fancy 172 lsat!

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 03:43:15 AM »
well i would hope my applying in feb wouldnt be nearly as detrimental as my lsat score. but we shall see.

probably not, but it didn't help.  they're on rolling admissions, and lots of offers had already gone out before you even applied, which means you're applied for one of, say, 300 acceptance letters, instead of one of 600.  (totally making up the numbers there; don't take them seriously.)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 03:55:13 AM »

probably not, but it didn't help.  they're on rolling admissions, and lots of offers had already gone out before you even applied, which means you're applied for one of, say, 300 acceptance letters, instead of one of 600.  (totally making up the numbers there; don't take them seriously.)

well, hastings actually got my app on 12/16, i just went complete there on 2/18  (HELLOOOOOOO hastings, is anyone there?)

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 02:24:26 PM »
Deep breath in…. and out…

Since you’re late in the game you are going to be held till the last inning.  Find solace in the fact (based on others’ LSN reports) that you most likely would have been deferred if you had applied early on.  You have been let in at one place you want to go and to and to be honest you’ll likely get in elsewhere.  It takes time to get to and analyze the “soft factors” you have -- be happy you took care in preparing them.  Your numbers won’t get you automatically accepted at those schools but be happy they’ll get you a full review.

Pookie is on point, if you wait to apply early (October 1st) in next round you will have a good chance of getting in to those upper T1 schools (even with little to no improvement in those numbers).  But really T, if you keep that fight in ya you’ll end up on your feet no matter where you go, why put off the inevitable.  ;)