;

Poll

How many schools did you apply to

1-5
6-10
11-16
17-21
More than 22

Author Topic: How many schools did you apply to?  (Read 3106 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
How many schools did you apply to?
« on: March 12, 2005, 01:13:58 PM »
The lame pre-law advisor at my college told me to only apply to 6 schools.  Looking at the stats on LSN, it seems like people applied to a ton of schools. 

If you applied to more than 10 schools, why? Are you applying first and asking questions later?  Did you just apply to the top 15 or middle 20?  I am just wondering the merit of applying to 25 different schools.  I undertand this for applicants who are borderline (like me), but not for someone with a 3.9/175. 

All input is welcomed and appreciated. 

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: How many schools did you apply to?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 03:00:54 PM »
Six.  Five of them in the DE commuting area.  One safety (Widener), three target (Villanova, Temple, Rutgers-Camden), and two big fat reaches (Penn and Harvard).  The funny thing is, after visiting all the local schools, I felt that Widener was the best fit for me.  The campus, the housing (where I can crash a couple of nights a week if I don't want to drive 45 minutes home), the people (a professor approached my tour guide, my husband and me as we were walking across the campus just to say hi), the area, etc. really impressed me.  In fact, it went from being my last choice/safety to my #3 choice, trumping each of my target schools.  I've sent in my $$ to hold my dorm/seat, and will only NOT go there if I get into one of my reaches.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

YankyKitten

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:54:25 PM »
Six:
 Two miracle schools (Penn & Cornell)
 One reach (Temple)
 Two realistic (Hofstra & Villanova)
 One safety (Widener)

I pray for Penn and Temple almost every minute of every day, but I would be very happy to attend Villanova, Hofstra or Widener.  Cornell was a weird ap because I read their papers online and one of the professors wrotes a paper that really interested me immensly and something said, hey, why not it's just a few more bucks.  I would love to take a class with the Prof. that wrote the paper. All they can say is no right?

YankyKitten

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:58:47 PM »
Six.  Five of them in the DE commuting area.  One safety (Widener), three target (Villanova, Temple, Rutgers-Camden), and two big fat reaches (Penn and Harvard).  The funny thing is, after visiting all the local schools, I felt that Widener was the best fit for me.  The campus, the housing (where I can crash a couple of nights a week if I don't want to drive 45 minutes home), the people (a professor approached my tour guide, my husband and me as we were walking across the campus just to say hi), the area, etc. really impressed me.  In fact, it went from being my last choice/safety to my #3 choice, trumping each of my target schools.  I've sent in my $$ to hold my dorm/seat, and will only NOT go there if I get into one of my reaches.

Good for you twarga, I go to the undergrad at Widener Law Center, you will love it there.  Your experience with the Prof. was not atypical either.  I have found that everyone at Widener is very appoachable and helpful.  Food sucks there though, go across the street for some real food.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 07:07:59 AM »
I only applied to one school - and just got the acceptance yesterday! Phwew! Now I can start breathing again.

Jeff

WKRUSE

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 07:15:03 AM »
Two schools.  I had to stay in Miami and had to go at night.  Kind of limits the choices, eh?
Going to FIU in the fall.

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 11:13:01 AM »
Seven.

Two safties: Georgetown, UVA - I'm in-state, otherwise, UVA would have been a target
Three targets: Columbia, NYU, Penn
Two Reaches: Harvard, Yale

Most "traditional" students in my shoes probably would have added at least Chicago (target) and Stanford (reach)
to this list, but I only applied to schools that I would realistically attend if accepted. Chicago and Stanford are both awesome schools, but my spouse was opposed to the locations. Husband isn't keen on NYC either, but could be convinced. He's still hoping for Cambridge or New Haven to come thru and save him from living in NY.

We don't have kids, and husband can find work just about anywhere - so these weren't concerns for us.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 11:48:14 AM »
I ended up with nine

Saftey: None really. Maybe Ohio State though my GPA is technically below their 25%
Target: Lewis & Clark, Wisconsin, Indiana Bloomington, Boulder
Reaches: Minnesota, Washington & Lee,
No way in hell, but I still tried: Boalt & Harvard

My GPA is pretty low compared to my LSAT.  However, I have big time grade accelleration, so I was told by many that some schools will only count my post-1995 GPA of 3.75. (I left school, got an AAS and returned  5 years later to finish my BA)If that happens, I have a shot everywhere but Boalt and Harvard.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 07:23:27 PM »
I applied to 2, the only 2 which LS would be worth it for me.
161, 2.99.