Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting really excited about the prospect  (Read 1128 times)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Getting really excited about the prospect
« on: March 12, 2005, 06:18:41 AM »
...of going to law school! It's a reality now, you know?  Many of us have gotten into at least one of our schools, and a lot have chosen which school we want to attend.  So it's kind of all the fun stuff from here. I mean, I know we have to stress about classes, exams, the bar - but all of these things are privileges, stressful as they are.  Heck we applied for the right to do these things!  They should be enjoyed even while we are cursing our professors.  The stress of not knowing the outcome of our applications (I know some of us are still waiting on some schools) is over.

I might be feeling so excited because my decision is made -- I know the stress isn't over for some of you!  But this feeling of knowing where you're heading is great, so look forward to it.  I'm loving this: looking at housing, reading the course catalogue.  I mean, a year ago exactly I hadn't considered going to law school since I was 13 (long story).  Now all of the sudden it's what my life is about.  Woohoo!

...I should probably keep a copy of this post somewhere to read when I reach the point everyone apparently reaches and want to drop out.  :P
HLS

ilsox7

Re: Getting really excited about the prospect
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 07:10:16 AM »
Way excited here, too.  But I am just too anxious now b/c I still have 8 decisions out there.  Pretty sure I'll end up at IU.  Even have an apt. all picked out and everything.  But I cannot commit til I hear from Wash U., ND, GW, W&L, and UM.  All would possibly/probably get me away from IU.  Mostly I am looking foward to studying law, which is my biggest interest.  My years of studying finance and working finance had some high points, but law is my calling.

I am sure LS will have its stressful moments, however I think a lot of the horror stories are a combination of myths and undergrads who never had to work too much freaking out b/c all of a sudden there is intense pressure on them.  I just don't see it being more stressful than having your ass on the line in the real world. 

For me LS was always in the future, just didn't think it'd be this soon.  But hey, *&^% happens and this is where I'm sposed to be right now and I am very happy/excited.  I just hope in a month I know where I am going.  A summer on a WL would be interesting.

geni

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:06:20 AM »
I totally agree!  I am so excited about it, I can hardly contain myself!  ;D

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:42:21 AM »
lol :)

Congratulations on IU, sox :)  I feel the same way about myths.  Law school is going to be very tough, no doubt about it.  But if I keep my good habits and put some extra effort in, I won't be overwhelmed, just challenged.
HLS

Kaycee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 10:47:27 AM »
I totally agree! I know where I'm going to law school, and everything is all set. Now, I can't wait to get started. I know it's going to be stressful, and there will be plenty of times I'll wonder, "What was I thinking?" But as you said, we've worked very hard to have the privilege of this stress in our lives. Now it's time to enjoy what we've worked so hard to achieve!

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 11:31:09 AM »
Nicely put, Kaycee.

And I don't meant to be annoyingly cheerful, btw (for anyone who was wondering).  There's just so much negativity out there regarding law school, and I think a lot of it might be true at particular moments (as in, I'm sure all of us will wonder at some point whether this was the right decision), but I think there will be many great things -- peers, classes, professors - that will outweigh those moments. :)
HLS

geni

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 05:52:23 PM »
And I don't meant to be annoyingly cheerful, btw (for anyone who was wondering).  There's just so much negativity out there regarding law school, and I think a lot of it might be true at particular moments (as in, I'm sure all of us will wonder at some point whether this was the right decision), but I think there will be many great things -- peers, classes, professors - that will outweigh those moments. :)

I agree with you.  I think law school will be a tremendous opportunity in so many respects.  While I'm sure that it will be difficult, I am equally sure that it will be challenging, interesting, and fun!  As a non-trad, I am used to a very low level of intellectual stimulation in my day-to-day life... and I am sooooooo looking forward to getting involved in some intense debates and expanding my perspective on life.  Woo-hoo!!

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 03:14:14 PM »
I can't really be excited about going until I hear back from all my schools.  I want to be excited, but I need to know where I am going and specifically what I should be excited about.  This is probably because I am mentally ill; which raises another point.  Why don't law schools offer scholarships and placement due to mental illness.  As a homicidal maniac, I would appreciate some sort of help.  Needless to say, the cards are stacked against me. :P
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 03:20:13 PM »
I can be a pretty compulsive person.  So even though I'm excited about law school, I seem to be in this zone where until I get everything figured out (my apartment, a roommate, my FinAid, etc.), I'll not be calm.

Oh well.  It's a good stress -- one I paid hundreds of dollars to apply for...

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »
Dolcejn: Thanks for starting this thread! I'm getting ready for a 10-day trip to the east coast, and I'm really looking forward to visiting a bunch of schools (6 of them, to be exact!). Having already visited 3 schools this spring, I'm really hoping that at least one of them feels "right," so that I can make my decision and get on with it! I noticed, Dolcejn, that you've made your decision to go to HLS. Way to go! I'm looking forward to my visit next week. Perhaps I'll see you there in the fall!

Go law school! Woo hoo!  :)
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale