Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Type of Law do you want to Practice  (Read 28522 times)

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
Re: What Type of Law do you want to Practice
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2005, 12:50:05 PM »
what about cyber law? Or is there such a thing ???

Only on Star Trek.

I take it that means "no".  Sorry that I am not as informed as you are.

Not just Star Trek.

Harvard  offers courses in cyberlaw: "Cyberlaw is a burgeoning, exciting field. In the last several years the Law School has started expanding the number of courses that explore it."

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/registrar/catalog/cgroups/cyberlaw.php

I just happened to remember this from my tour of the HLS Web site while I was working on  my (apparently not so compelling) "Hold" essay. A quick Google search shows that many other schools, from Stanford (unsurprisingly) to Hofstra, also offer courses in cyberlaw. Also, a lot of what is being referred to "cyberlaw" by some schools seems to fall under the somewhat less geeky-sounding heading of Law and Technology at others.

Live long and prosper. 8)

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2005, 01:59:36 AM »
Gattomatto, international law does deal with the U.N. and multinational organizations. International law also involves ADR for disputes between countries about borders, international criminal law (like terrorism or drugs), and business transactions.

I like international law because I enjoy working with different cultures. I'm also interested in property/real estate law and education law.
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)

Gattomatto

• View Profile
    • Gattomatto
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2005, 04:15:48 AM »
CIlover,  I think it would be awesome to be able to do good that transcends national borders, at least from personal fulfillment standpoint. The only downside, if there is any, would be that sometimes int'l law is hard to enforce because some contries (US included)in recent decades have shown growing hostility toward any legal constraints upon their foreign policy. 

Gattomatto, international law does deal with the U.N. and multinational organizations. International law also involves ADR for disputes between countries about borders, international criminal law (like terrorism or drugs), and business transactions.

I like international law because I enjoy working with different cultures. I'm also interested in property/real estate law and education law.
a posse ad esse

My bark, once struck by the fury of the storm, dreads again to approach the place of danger.

letmeindamnit2006

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2005, 04:36:01 PM »
I have also been a paralegal. I have worked the gamut in my eight years.  Worked for non-profits, law firms and corporations.  Someone had asked whether corporate law was more of a 9 to 5 gig.  I would say that you get 9 to 5 only if you work in-house at an established corporation.  I work in-house right now and I have that type of setup but my hours still get wacky.  Although I do miss the variety of working at a law firm.  I love both the corporate law and litigation so I am planning on going into business litigation.  I will have my Masters in Tax Accounting before I start law school so I am hoping that will give me more of a business background.  My undergrad was in paralegal studies so I wanted a Masters that would give me the business knowledge.  Anyhow, my planned focus is business litigation and work at a firm that will allow me to do as much pro bono work as possible. 

e307515

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2005, 06:34:15 PM »
Entertainment law

Ceggon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2005, 07:22:09 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet (or they won't fess up to being the treehugger - actually I'm a seal hugger - that I am), but I'm most likely to focus on environmental law. I'm particularly interested in law focused on the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act (the idea of trying to work through the legal conundrum that occurs with multiple interacting endangered species gets me disturbingly excited). I work for NOAA now and am realizing my interest lies less in the research side, and more in the policy/environmental litigation side.

I figure I'll either end up back with the govt, or end work for an organization like the Center for Biological Diversity, SUEING the govt  ;D
Attending: University of Washington,
Withdrawn: Lewis & Clark, Michigan

I sacked up and made the hard decision that I feel will be the best for me and mine. Someone else can freeze their balls or unmentionables off in Michigan! :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Ceggon

tklimson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2005, 08:48:35 PM »
Let me preface my thoughts before I let everyone know what area of law to practice.  I by no means am trying to be condescending.  I am just offering some observations. I own an estate and financial planning practice in Florida.  I have been involved in this business since 1995.  I tried everything under the sun to gain clients through effective sales tools.  It did not work.  I read a book called "Marketing to the affluent" by Dr. Tom Stanley.  I realized that to be successful in any profession you have to know how to market.  That is the key.  I would recommend an area of law that you can market effectively.  I am not talking about tv ads or the yellow pages.  I am talking about finding people that need your services NOW.  I have found a way to find people that need my services as a financial planner before every tom male private part and harry does.  The same goes for attorneys.  Its great to know the law but you cant be successful unless you have clients and know how to get those clients before everyone else does.  Find an area of law that you love and market your services within the confines of ABA marketing rules of course.  Set yourself apart from the others.  I work closely with several estate planning attorneys in order to enhance my business through referrals.  They team up with me because I know how to market.  REFERRAL NETWORKS work!!!  I will attend law school in 2006 and will focus on estate planning and family law.  According to The Journal of gift planning $50 trillion will be transferred from one generation to the next.  That number may be a little high but what if only half of that is transferred.  You must learn how to get those clients before dewey screwum and howe does.

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »
entertainment law. i am just glad that the school that worked out for me happens to have a great program in entertainment. i was so ready to pack up and go to a school with absolutly no entertainment focus at all, but luckily i did not have to make that call...
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet (or they won't fess up to being the treehugger - actually I'm a seal hugger - that I am), but I'm most likely to focus on environmental law. I'm particularly interested in law focused on the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act (the idea of trying to work through the legal conundrum that occurs with multiple interacting endangered species gets me disturbingly excited). I work for NOAA now and am realizing my interest lies less in the research side, and more in the policy/environmental litigation side.

I figure I'll either end up back with the govt, or end work for an organization like the Center for Biological Diversity, SUEING the govt  ;D

VERY interested in that.   :)
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »
going back to the topic here.

i'm most interested in IP copyright and trademark law