Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Type of Law do you want to Practice  (Read 28113 times)

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Type of Law do you want to Practice
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »
My interest:  Public Interest, Criminal Law, Family Law // Most likely Private Practice in one of those areas
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
I am hoping to be a public defender (eventually moving to death penalty appeals) so: Criminal law.

Nice to see such a variety of interests, and less emphasis on $$$ or perceived prestige. I love my nontrad 0Ls!

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
My biggest concern is not whether I'll enjoy it but if I can afford it!  I may be so deep in debt that I'll have to take a higher salary to survive, but I sure hope not.

I don't think I copied the above comment from another poster correctly, but anyway....

Last year Congress passed and Bush signed a new law.  I'm also deeply concerned about debt -- I have a 10 year old son and cannot work firm hours, thus it's low paying public service work for me b/c the hours are better.

The new law provides loan relief for JD's who go into public service work (e.g. prosecution, public defense etc).  Loan payments are capped at 15% of your income and if you stay in p.s. work for a decade your remaining loan balance is wiped out.

Check out this link:
http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resource/ccraa

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2008, 11:52:41 PM »
I'd LOVE to puruse art law, with an international focus. Art law, not entertainment law, nothing wrong with that, just not what I'm interested in. I'm really interested in the legal issues concerning reclamation, that is where native countries are up in museum's grills asking to have pieces of art, relics, etc returned to them, very general definition. But I was an art history and international relations major in college and I would love to put both of my interests to work in my legal career!

No joke that sounds awesome - you'll probably rise the ranks quickly too because that niche of the legal world must be so small. Congrats on figuring out a way to combine two very different majors!
!!!

Dr. Rose

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's brilliant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »
I'd LOVE to puruse art law, with an international focus. Art law, not entertainment law, nothing wrong with that, just not what I'm interested in. I'm really interested in the legal issues concerning reclamation, that is where native countries are up in museum's grills asking to have pieces of art, relics, etc returned to them, very general definition. But I was an art history and international relations major in college and I would love to put both of my interests to work in my legal career!

No joke that sounds awesome - you'll probably rise the ranks quickly too because that niche of the legal world must be so small. Congrats on figuring out a way to combine two very different majors!

That does sound awesome!
I was thinking of trying to use my undergrad in theatre, and become a talent agent, or lawyer for a film/talent/music company.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
does anyone know

for immigration, when the clients are in another country, can you only represent them if they move to your state?

for example, if you lived in florida, and you had someone from Europe say they wanted to move to cali, could you take the client?

Immigration law is federal, so it doesn't matter where your client comes from, or what state you are a member of the bar of.  I work for an immigration lawyer in MA that represents clients from all over.
Fed gov't atty

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »
I'm fluent in Mandarin Chinese. Do you think that would help me get a job in International Law?

I'd love to be an in house attorney for a hospital/group of hospitals.
I'd also consider Banking/Corporate law.

army76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »
Once my law degree is complete, I would like to continue my military career and go Army Jag.  Later in my career, I would like to do some teaching ay West Point.

Willy Beachum

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »
I would like to work as a legal analyst for a news organization such as CNN, especially after seeing CNN's legal analyst play Wii Fit on TV this morning.  Can you say dream job?

Here's the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=01YqwrrfJh0

Plus, it's actually a good way of helping people a lot of people and such. Maybe even get a book deal.  :D
LSAT: October 2008
Practice Tests: 170, 165

LSN

Nupe Law

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
Health care law for me!!!