Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Type of Law do you want to Practice  (Read 28016 times)

sublimation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Type of Law do you want to Practice
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 05:03:47 AM »
ADR or healthcare law or, preferably, some combo of the two.

Gattomatto

• View Profile
    • Gattomatto
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 11:35:45 PM »
Anyone think about what type of law they want to get into after law school.  I know many are still running around and waiting or preparing for admissions.  The legal field is very large and has many different avenues.  I have worked for the past 10 years as a paralegal and have worked on different types of law.  Corporate, Real Estate, Intellectual Property, Securities, Blue Sky and Bankruptcy to name a few.  Please post your interest or thoughts on types of law that you may be interested in pursuing.

I'd like to know more about international law, having a rich cultural background and being a polyglot person, I wonder if all that might help? What kind of job prospects does that entail, UN, multinationals, NGOs?

I wish someone with hands-on knowledge could elucidate us more!

Also, I'd like to ask the paralegal what she thinks about corporate law, I hear it's less adversarial and more like a 9-5 sort of a thing (job), as  opposed to criminal law for instance, is that true?
a posse ad esse

My bark, once struck by the fury of the storm, dreads again to approach the place of danger.

NeverForever

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 11:40:03 PM »
Poverty law or Child Advocacy

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 09:25:56 AM »
[Also, I'd like to ask the paralegal what she thinks about corporate law, I hear it's less adversarial and more like a 9-5 sort of a thing (job), as  opposed to criminal law for instance, is that true?

I have been working in corporate law for a large law firm and it is not a 9-5 job. There is a lot of hours and time that you have to put in when working in corporate law.  If you work in house for a bank or company the hours may be less but in general 50 plus or more a week is not unusual.  Many people that come out of law school are very surprised how long the hours can be.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:57:32 AM »
High profit law - large scale torts, massive class action cases, etc.

Maybe something like a GS G200 to get around in...

Gattomatto

• View Profile
    • Gattomatto
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 01:21:49 PM »
[Also, I'd like to ask the paralegal what she thinks about corporate law, I hear it's less adversarial and more like a 9-5 sort of a thing (job), as  opposed to criminal law for instance, is that true?

I have been working in corporate law for a large law firm and it is not a 9-5 job. There is a lot of hours and time that you have to put in when working in corporate law.  If you work in house for a bank or company the hours may be less but in general 50 plus or more a week is not unusual.  Many people that come out of law school are very surprised how long the hours can be.

Hey Jim, thank you for your input. You'd be surprised how much misinformation is out there, which renders an "in the know" answer like yours even more invaluable.
a posse ad esse

My bark, once struck by the fury of the storm, dreads again to approach the place of danger.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »
animal rights

ruff!

DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 01:42:33 PM »
Admiralty.

Yar!

PresClay_00

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »
Bob Barker just gave $1M to Northwestern Law to start classes on animal rights.  This is in addition to what he's already given to Duke, Columbia, UCLA and one or two others.

Remember, have your pets spayed or neutered.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 01:58:56 PM »
I know!  Too bad those schools are not within my reach but go Bob!
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.