Law School Discussion

$$ at UT!

IndyEntrepreneur

• 3.94 / 168
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - indy_entrepreneur
    • View Profile
$$ at UT!
« on: March 11, 2005, 05:14:57 PM »
A nice little gem in my mailbox tonight... UT is awarding me the Tom C. Clark Fellows scholarship.  5k per year plus in-state tuition!  Makes tuition about 10k/yr at the end of the day.  They're beginning to seriously compromise my love affair with Duke!   ;D

Re: $$ at UT!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 07:46:19 PM »
me too!  now what?

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 09:28:39 AM »
i didnt get this, but if i did, i'd seriously consider it over duke as well.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 11:14:19 PM »
Before accepting at UT, I'd look into this Leiter controversy. He is a professor at UT who called out some LSD/XOXO posters on some racist things they posted and contacted law schools they applied to, etc. Look it up on the xoxo board.
http://www.autoadmit.com/leiter.html
The story is pretty complicated but the student wrote an excellent critique of ratings for law schools...a link can be found in the xoxo board. They(whoever they are) claim the Professor was peeved about this report and decided to get back at the student. Sorry I don't have the complete story, but this Prof at UT seems like a real ass. While this may not be part of your decision making process, it's an interesting controversy at the least. Good luck!

IndyEntrepreneur

• 3.94 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 08:33:38 AM »
Before accepting at UT, I'd look into this Leiter controversy. He is a professor at UT who called out some LSD/XOXO posters on some racist things they posted and contacted law schools they applied to, etc.

Sorry I don't have the complete story

This last bit is probably the only statement in your post that is arguably true.  You are weaving together at least two independent events, and have attributed something to Prof. Leiter (i.e. personally calling BigTex's other schools) for which there is 0 evidence and is more than likely not the case.  I believe some hothead at xoxo started this theory, and IMNSHO it is rapidly approaching libel.  You may want to think a bit about this before you join in the gossiping any further.

As far as this situation, whatever the truth behind it, influencing my choice of law school?  Highly doubtful.  The odds that Brian Leiter and I will cross paths in a meaningful way during my education (without a decision on my part to pursue same) are fairly low to nil.  Controversial things happen in the educational world all the time, and the last time I checked the affected institutions are all still chugging along.  I strongly believe that the only reason that the posters on this board and xoxo feel that this situation rises above the pale is that it is an event that happened in their (still fairly small) sphere.  In contrast, when the infamous Ward Churchill "little Eichmanns" debacle hit (which targeted far more people and was far more widely publicized that this situation will ever be) there was barely a yawn either here or on xoxo.  No statements about how UC will be shut down in 2 years, no rearranging of preferred school lists, nothing.  The only statement of substance I could find was along the lines of "things like this tend to blow over fairly quickly," which I will predict to be the case here as well.

Rant over.  I'll post my theory on why UT seems to be such a target of opportunity at another time.   :)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:51:22 AM »
Who's Ward Churchill?

IndyEntrepreneur

• 3.94 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 09:03:32 AM »

wanderingalaskan

• Probably won't have moose in the yard at UT!
    • View Profile
    • WanderingAlaskan's LS info
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 02:06:43 PM »

I am curious about your theory on why UT takes so much regular bashing on the discussion boards.  From my perspective the vitriol and animosity displayed towards particular institutions is reflective of the endemic immaturity of the (nearly always anonymous) posters.

IndyEntrepreneur

• 3.94 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
I am curious about your theory on why UT takes so much regular bashing on the discussion boards.  From my perspective the vitriol and animosity displayed towards particular institutions is reflective of the endemic immaturity of the (nearly always anonymous) posters.

Sure... there's always that aspect.  The impression I've received in the short time I've been involved in the law school scene is that UT is the school that has the greatest opportunity to make a jump into the hallowed "T14."  Now, what would result if that were to take place?  In my mind, the members of the displaced school (and perhaps others in fear of shortly joining them) would need to abandon the T14 concept, thus tacitly acknowledging that it was an artificial construct from the beginning.  It appears that there are quite a few people who are extremely hung up on prestige and have placed a lot of stock in the fact that they "got into a T14 school," and can be quite disparaging of those who don't.

In short, if UT were to climb any higher in the rankings, a ton of face would be lost by this group of bashers.  I suspect that they fear this, and take every opportunity to do their part to ensure that it doesn't happen.  The associated hatred of Leiter would seem to be explained by the fact that his rankings research has indicated that some of the T14 really aren't, particularly when it comes to the issue of faculty quality.

As I said before, I'm fairly new to all this.  Thus, you should be able to take this theory and about $1.80 down to your local Starbucks, and it just might get you a cup of coffee.   ;)

Have you decided where you're going to attend yet?

wanderingalaskan

• Probably won't have moose in the yard at UT!
    • View Profile
    • WanderingAlaskan's LS info
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 07:23:09 PM »

Sure... there's always that aspect.  The impression I've received in the short time I've been involved in the law school scene is that UT is the school that has the greatest opportunity to make a jump into the hallowed "T14."  Now, what would result if that were to take place?  In my mind, the members of the displaced school (and perhaps others in fear of shortly joining them) would need to abandon the T14 concept, thus tacitly acknowledging that it was an artificial construct from the beginning.  It appears that there are quite a few people who are extremely hung up on prestige and have placed a lot of stock in the fact that they "got into a T14 school," and can be quite disparaging of those who don't.

In short, if UT were to climb any higher in the rankings, a ton of face would be lost by this group of bashers.  I suspect that they fear this, and take every opportunity to do their part to ensure that it doesn't happen.  The associated hatred of Leiter would seem to be explained by the fact that his rankings research has indicated that some of the T14 really aren't, particularly when it comes to the issue of faculty quality.

As I said before, I'm fairly new to all this.  Thus, you should be able to take this theory and about $1.80 down to your local Starbucks, and it just might get you a cup of coffee.   ;)

Have you decided where you're going to attend yet?
Thanks for the insight.  I was thinking something along the same lines.  Given the faculty and resources at UT, it would not be surprising if they continue to advance in the rankings.

As for my decision, I am visiting Austin and Tucson next month, but have not yet ruled out GWU or Lewis and Clark.  The rest of my schools should have their withdrawal notification in the mail after tomorrow.