Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: waitlisted at Michigan  (Read 4035 times)

thegrouch

• View Profile
Re: waitlisted at Michigan
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2005, 12:02:43 PM »
I was really surprised to be waitlisted. I'm 172/3.55(3.73 degree-granting), and I thought they'd really like my essays.

Meanwhile, the same day I got back an acceptance from Virginia right quick, and they are almost identical to Mich in admissions stats. Anyhow, I suspect something unsavory.

Hey Miguel - I was accepted to the Rochester PoliSci Ph.D. program. It's looking like I'm going to law school, but if I choose the Ph.D., Rochester is my first choice at the moment. (Pre-visit.) What do you think about the department there? Like the people and culture.
172(171 + 173)/3.55(3.73)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=thegrouch

In: UVa, Duke
Out: Harvard (Don't cry for me.)
Waitlist: Georgetown, UMich
Pending: Chicago, NYU, Columbia

michaelduke

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2005, 01:00:43 PM »
Do you think they send rejections by email as well?  I do not have an email message from them.  I think they might have sent out my rejection using snail mail. 

JulesSF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2005, 01:13:50 PM »
yield protection = ego protection

...and since mine is fully intact, I can safely say that my numbers definitely fall in the waitlist category...I'm not surprised, but I was hoping for something more definite so that I can move forward with my plans...c'est la vie
166 / 3.5
He loves me: ATTENDING: GWU $$ (obvi)
He loves me not: NU, GULC, UVA, UCLA
He decides not to decide: U Mich (WL)
Preemptive dump: BC, UC Hastings, USC

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2005, 01:39:36 PM »

Hey Miguel - I was accepted to the Rochester PoliSci Ph.D. program. It's looking like I'm going to law school, but if I choose the Ph.D., Rochester is my first choice at the moment. (Pre-visit.) What do you think about the department there? Like the people and culture.

Congratulations. I studied Poli Sci as an undergrad there (as you've gathered) and I have high praise for the department. It has been top ranked for awhile now, and while Rochester doesn't have loads of cache-value name recognition, people seem to respect that dept all over. They are doing a lot to overhaul the faculty, which was getting very old when I left there (they staked there reputation on political theory in the 60s anad 70s when they really became a national program, but have had the same gray heads since then) and in the past 5 years have hired lots of new, young people. They also have a good budget there, and buy good professors as well as students. I'm sure you have a good funding package...

Anyhow, Rochester the city grows on you. It only can, because it seems like a hole on first glance. But it has some charm, and is more cosmopolitan than anyone would have guessed. Feel free to IM me with any more questions if you end up going.

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2005, 05:55:04 PM »

Generally, that may be true, but something is definitely a bit off with the range of Michigan waitlists.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2005, 05:58:51 PM »

Generally, that may be true, but something is definitely a bit off with the range of Michigan waitlists.

Well it's pretty obvious that my case was NOT yield protection, so I consider myself lucky to have made it this far. 

ArmAndHammer

• Quack, quack, quack, quack... Gooooooooo DUCKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »
There are over 60 people on this waitlist, according to LSN alone. The FAQ said that they take maybe 35 or so off the list, so our chances aren't very good  :(  How many people do you guys think are on the waitlist?
Going to Cornell unless I get off Michigan's waitlist.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2005, 08:38:34 PM »
There are over 60 people on this waitlist, according to LSN alone. The FAQ said that they take maybe 35 or so off the list, so our chances aren't very good  :(  How many people do you guys think are on the waitlist?

From my perspective, waitlist is for people who didn't have overwhelming odds of getting in to begin with.   Obviously the odds aren't over 50% if you're on waitlist, but I didn't give myself over a 50% chance at Michigan in the first place.  Somebody posted a link to old waitlist statistics from various schools in another thread.  I don't remember what the Michigan numbers were, but Penn accepted 10 out of 300 waitlist students that cycle. 

long ago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 12:28:04 AM »
Hey I got the stupid waitlist thing too.  I guess applying late and writing no optional essays and not sending in fall grades when they ask you to are not good ideas if you want to get admitted no matter how much higher your numbers are than there 75th percentiles.  I thought I was an auto admit and would have considered it with money.  I will call them if waitlisted students can't get money then I will decline and figure it is their loss not mine I don't want to freeze to death in Michigan anyway and my Duke scholarship is on the way according to the financial aid office I would rather go there anyway. (yes I am a little bitter)

ArmAndHammer

• Quack, quack, quack, quack... Gooooooooo DUCKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2005, 01:11:57 AM »
10 out of 300, huh? That's very encouraging...  ::)  Oh well. And to Jared: sorry dude, I would have expected you to get in too. You should have written one of the extra essays, though. They probably just thought you weren't too interested. I dunno. There are no certainties in this process.
Going to Cornell unless I get off Michigan's waitlist.