Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted/deferred at Minn (top 20), but outright rejected at 'Bama (top 40)  (Read 383 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Technically I still have a shot at Minnesota (not a good shot); they will notify me by May. I was outright rejected at Alabama though. It seems like such a crapshoot.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think Alabama is going for 90th percentile LSAT "spliters" this year to bump up their USNEWS rank.  They're throwing all their money/effort at people in the 163 - 165 category, and dinging people with solid numbers but not meeting that cutoff.

I have a 163 and got an embroidered sweatshirt from Alabama, many hand-written notes, letters from current students from Illinois (hand-written) and from professors from Illinois (my home state) telling me about the great aspects of coming to Alabama from the midwest.

Other schools are doing this too.  U of Illinois is looking for 165-166-167 splitters.  They're throwing $10k and full-tuition scholarships at people with 165's and pitiful GPAs, and dinging people like me (as they did) with a 4.00 / 163 who don't make the 165 cutoff.  After UIUC fell out of the top 25 last year they are now scrambling, hardcore, to bump up their LSAT median and 25th/75th to get back to 23 / 25 where they usually are.

It's a pathetic race.

Technically I still have a shot at Minnesota (not a good shot); they will notify me by May. I was outright rejected at Alabama though. It seems like such a crapshoot.

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
I think Alabama is going for 90th percentile LSAT "spliters" this year to bump up their USNEWS rank.  They're throwing all their money/effort at people in the 163 - 165 category, and dinging people with solid numbers but not meeting that cutoff.

I have a 163 and got an embroidered sweatshirt from Alabama, many hand-written notes, letters from current students from Illinois (hand-written) and from professors from Illinois (my home state) telling me about the great aspects of coming to Alabama from the midwest.

Other schools are doing this too.  U of Illinois is looking for 165-166-167 splitters.  They're throwing $10k and full-tuition scholarships at people with 165's and pitiful GPAs, and dinging people like me (as they did) with a 4.00 / 163 who don't make the 165 cutoff.  After UIUC fell out of the top 25 last year they are now scrambling, hardcore, to bump up their LSAT median and 25th/75th to get back to 23 / 25 where they usually are.

It's a pathetic race.

Wow what a joke. Props to schools who actually pay attention to GPA.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list