Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My letter to Texas, plus my summary of the BigTex situation  (Read 7364 times)

WoeIsMe

Re: My letter to Texas, plus my summary of the BigTex situation
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2005, 09:17:38 PM »
I'm Asian adopted by Caucasian parents. 

Now imagine this, I walk into a company meeting with all of you present and say "Hey everyone, I'm caucasian!"  What would your thoughts be?  "What has this guy been drinking?"  Then I qualify, "Oh, but my parents are caucasian, so I identify myself as white!"  Again, the toughts would be "I see his point, but he's really an asian who happens to be adopted by a white family".

Now as much as I would like to be white, it just isn't going to work.

Look at the absurdity of this:  President Bush submits BigTex to be the first Hispanic to be nominated for the Supreme Court!!!!!

Then they show the picture of this white dude.

That is the difference between an interpretive identification and a reasonable interpration of the race/ethnic question.

Yonvan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2005, 09:51:18 PM »
If UTexas really reads these boards, why don't they send people to troll for them? Texas is bashed here (and on XOXO) constantly, and it's obvious that these boards have a profound affect on the way people think about schools, and that a large share of the best applicants spend a lot of time here.

This seems like a huge waste of resources. Also, isn't UTexas supposed to not use AA, or is all good after the UMich case?

AtticusFinch

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - randrewfree@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2005, 01:09:32 AM »
  Wasn't there a section on the LSAT called "identify the argument?"

No.  There wasn't.  Twit.

AF

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2005, 01:24:56 AM »
Pookie, I love it when you argue...so professional  ;)

ha ha, thanks!  i love it when your hippo dances :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

DannyJunior

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2005, 01:35:19 AM »
Wow. SO many of you completely misunderstand the issue completely.

This is NOT about Tex and how he views his cultural heritage, or how that cultural identification was related to law schools or how he explained his identification decision.

The simple facts at hand, and the issues that should matter much more to each and every one of you, are the improprieties displayed by U Texas. We can argue until we are blue in the face over whether Tex should have checked box X or box Y. The truth is that that is a NON-ISSUE. What is at issue is the proposition that the Law School at the University of Texas-Austin is cross-referencing your applications with your LawSchoolNumbers and LawSchoolDiscussion accounts. It is assuming that that information is an accurate and correct depiction of your personal information. It is contacting other schools it believes you have applied to to discuss personal and private information disclosed under the strictest confidence to that law school admissions committee, violating the implied understanding that such confidential information would not be shared without your EXPRESS and definitive consent.

UT is really showing its ass here. If this is the respect it shows to its applicants, I can't wait to see what liberties it takes with its students. Don't sit back and endorse this violation of privacy, decorum and respect for the admissions process.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2005, 01:40:50 AM »

Now imagine this, I walk into a company meeting with all of you present and say "Hey everyone, I'm caucasian!"  What would your thoughts be?  "What has this guy been drinking?"  Then I qualify, "Oh, but my parents are caucasian, so I identify myself as white!"  Again, the toughts would be "I see his point, but he's really an asian who happens to be adopted by a white family".

Look at the absurdity of this:  President Bush submits BigTex to be the first Hispanic to be nominated for the Supreme Court!!!!!

That is the difference between an interpretive identification and a reasonable interpration of the race/ethnic question.

Are you dense or what. Hispanic is not a f-ing race, its an ethnicity. Just as there are black Americans or white Africans, there are white and black Hispanics. One is a series of cultural beleifs and rituals and the other is a series of physical traits we catagorize into race. Try and guess which is which.

Tonerockyhorror

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2005, 02:26:07 AM »
In regards to BigTex "checking the box" I think everyone is approaching the issue in the wrong way. Fundamentally it is an issue with AA in terms of why is there AA. It is generally believed that AA comes from historical racism and the modern rectifying of past wrongs, current prejudices, a lack of ethnic minorities, or all three. (Forgive me if I am leaving anything out)

The fact is that BigTex does not fit any of these categories. While he may culturally identify with a Latino heritage it does not translate to the desired outcomes of AA. He is not mexican so he has nothing vested in past wrongs, he is white and thus not technically open to prejudice and he does nothing for the implied goal of law schools to increase diversity.

It is obvious I think that some schools have taken his past as evidence of urm status so the question of whether he is one or not is irrelevant. However, there is a moral argument of whether or not he should have ever checked the box. He full-well knows the implications and desired effects of AA and that his experience is not one towards the desired goal. Yet he still opted to gain an unfair advantage over his white counterparts in the law school process and unjustly take AA spots from other students (whther they deserve them or not).

I certainly don't agree with what UT did in terms of matching up posters to applicants, but do understand their feeling of BigTex misrepresenting himself. Even with an addendum this is not a case of AA all schools would even be willing to accept. Furthermore, we have all read or can read what the application really says and that he most certainly should have submitted an addendum or not checked hispanic on the application. UT obviously feels that this one instance of 'fraud' is indicative of his character and warranted notifying other schools regardless of whether he submitted it to everyone else.

I won't make an overt statement vilifying BigTex but we are considering a common school and I will not be able to forget that he manipulated a system meant to favor a true urm (again fair or unfair). We all have to sit next to black, mexican, etc urms knowing they got a boost, and I can live with that; however, I can't feel the same way when sitting next to a middle-class white kid. Needless to say I have a few issues with AA as well, but will leave them out of this argument as they have no bearing.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2005, 03:59:53 AM »

Are you dense or what. Hispanic is not a f-ing race, its an ethnicity. Just as there are black Americans or white Africans, there are white and black Hispanics. One is a series of cultural beleifs and rituals and the other is a series of physical traits we catagorize into race. Try and guess which is which.

Uh, where did I say Hispanic was a race (name-calling-expletive deleted)?  Furthermore where did I ever use the word race and ethnicity in that post?  If anything you've proven your dense-superiority by inventing what doesn't exist.  I was using myself as an example for the adopted issue regarding ethnic/racial identification that I believe a lot of people are clouding with warm-fuzzy feelings of family.  While it is true someone may identify with family racially/ethnically during their growing years, after years of being on their own and certainly by the time they reaches 30, the identification is in terms of a larger social construct.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2005, 04:05:18 AM »
http://www.sisyph.us/blog/archives/2005/03/does_the_univer.html

The only stated attachment that would have been close to acceptable for my “diverse race background” description was a “Statement on Economic, Social, or Personal Disadvantage”. However, this description for this essay required that the essay demonstrate severe hardship one has experienced in the past due to the socio/racial/economic background. I do not feel that I have experienced hardship because of my background and my “diverse race background” essay does not assert so.

------------------------------------------------------

And I totally agree, BigTex gamed the system.  Despite being caucasian, he checked the box for Hispanic, yet he acknowledges he did not experience the "economic, social, or personal disadvantage" hardship that would qualify for the intent of AA and justify writing an addendum.

Isn't there a box for caucasian on this app? seems like a reasonable option given he identifies as white/caucasian on LSN

certs

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2005, 05:17:33 AM »
"Look at the absurdity of this:  President Bush submits BigTex to be the first Hispanic to be nominated for the Supreme Court!!!!!

Then they show the picture of this white dude."

I rarely post on this board but this just blew me away. As a legit White Hispanic I am quite offended by the notion that a picture of a "white dude" automatically means that they are not Hispanic. I am as Hispanic as it gets with my entire family having come from Latin America yet I am as white as any Anglo. Having been born in this country I have been educated in the Northeast just as many other "white" Americans have and speak the language flawlessly. You would not know from looking at me or talking to me that I was anything but "white", yet I fit the textbook definition of Hispanic. If any president nominated me for any post they could very well say I was Hispanic while showing a picture of a "white dude". So no, it is not an absurd image.