Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My letter to Texas, plus my summary of the BigTex situation  (Read 7334 times)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: My letter to Texas, plus my summary of the BigTex situation
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 02:24:27 PM »
perhaps you missed all the posts where the gov't says that hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race, and that people of any race can be hispanic. 

Although race/color is not an issue, you must be of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, etc. DESCENT to be considered hispanic.  I think the only real issue here is whether Tex can claim to be a descendant based on adoption.  My gut tells me no, but in this politically correct society in which we live, where nobody wants to tell the white kid he's white, who knows?  
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 02:25:53 PM »
Although on second thought you just made my point:  notice the word "descent."  Can any of you - mom, ilsox or dookie - tell me what constitutes "descent" and whether you'd want to argue in front of the UT ethics committee that you genuinely believe that one "descends" - according to the intent of the wording - from one's step-dad?  I'm not disparaging step-parents - I like mine - I'm just disparaging absurd extensions of logic.
"...I keep getting older, and they stay the same age."

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 02:29:40 PM »
perhaps you missed all the posts where the gov't says that hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race, and that people of any race can be hispanic. 

...My gut tells me no... 

Your cat's gut tells me no too. And what a cute gut it is!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 02:30:39 PM »
You can't see his gigantic cat testicles in that shot.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 02:32:48 PM »
Again, numerically speaking over half of my family is black.  Also, numerically speaking, over half my family are women.

don't berate the intelligence of others when you're making comments like the one quoted.  *YOU* don't get it.  black is a race.  female is a gender.  both are in your genes, and can't be altered (exception for gender operations).  hispanic is not in your genes; it's a cultural identification.

i love how you choose to ignore whatever doesn't jive with your argument.  i made the comment about how race and culture are not the same thing, and you quoted it and made the comparison to you being black again.  and once again, enjoy the bottom of your LS class.

Nice try genius (see, now I'm complimenting you).  Apparently you missed my slick switch, in which I went from the word "black" to "african american" to appease your nitpicking - or are you going to tell me that African American is genetic?  Oh yes, those American genes.

WE always must remember that we pretty much made the whole/race ethnicity thing up. That being said what we call race generally has to do with traits that are pasted on genetically. most notably skin color. If my family moved to Kenya and lived there for 4 or 5 generations we would still be white. Now ethnicity refers more to traits that are past on socially. So my family in Kenya, while not black may become Kenyan. That is we would speak the language, know the culture, etc.

Now most Hispanic people are decentants of white colonists from Europe. There are many that can also trace their linage to native Americans or other racial groups, but they are mostly white. The difference between a person in Brazil and one in Germany, is ethnic. There are Brazilians who have very pale skin and Brazilians who have very dark skin. The bond they share is a cultural one.

With African Americans you are talking about something that has two components. One is racial, that is black, and the other is ethnic that is American.

Although on second thought you just made my point:  notice the word "descent."  Can any of you - mom, ilsox or dookie - tell me what constitutes "descent" and whether you'd want to argue in front of the UT ethics committee that you genuinely believe that one "descends" - according to the intent of the wording - from one's step-dad?  I'm not disparaging step-parents - I like mine - I'm just disparaging absurd extensions of logic.

This is amore interesting questino and one that has not really been answered legally or otherwise. I owudl say that being adopted is enough. For example if I adopted a kid from Germany and raised them here, they could be considered ethnically American. Sicne ethnicity has no assigned genetic componet it is much more difficult to determine. Although race is not as set as we liek to beleive either.

momofthree

• Sr. Citizen
  • my sweetie in action
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 02:34:55 PM »
Updated info from 2000

Ethnic groups:   
white 77.1%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1.5%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.3%, other 4% (2000)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.) 
You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 02:36:51 PM »

With African Americans you are talking about something that has two components. One is racial, that is black, and the other is ethnic that is American. (Quote)

You almost pulled it off - but sorry, NO.  Since when is "African" a racial term?    Why is it any more racial than "American."  Contrary to your belief they are both cultural.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 02:38:44 PM »
Again, numerically speaking over half of my family is black.  Also, numerically speaking, over half my family are women.

don't berate the intelligence of others when you're making comments like the one quoted.  *YOU* don't get it.  black is a race.  female is a gender.  both are in your genes, and can't be altered (exception for gender operations).  hispanic is not in your genes; it's a cultural identification.

i love how you choose to ignore whatever doesn't jive with your argument.  i made the comment about how race and culture are not the same thing, and you quoted it and made the comparison to you being black again.  and once again, enjoy the bottom of your LS class.

Nice try genius (see, now I'm complimenting you).  Apparently you missed my slick switch, in which I went from the word "black" to "african american" to appease your nitpicking - or are you going to tell me that African American is genetic?  Oh yes, those American genes.

so you're african by osmosis?  tex isn't saying he's mexican; he's saying he's hispanic (and has a mexican last name because his dad is mexican).  there's a difference, and that's what the comparison would be, BoC.

Although race/color is not an issue, you must be of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, etc. DESCENT to be considered hispanic.  I think the only real issue here is whether Tex can claim to be a descendant based on adoption.  My gut tells me no, but in this politically correct society in which we live, where nobody wants to tell the white kid he's white, who knows?  

nice misquote.  it says "a person of Latin American descent (especially of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin)."  "especially" doesn't limit it to those possibilities.

did you all read tex's very lengthy post that included his addendum and his explanation?  i don't even particularly like the guy, but i don't think he's guilty of an ethical violation here.  it UT does (if that's the real reason behind them contacting other schools), then i think less of UT.  isn't AA not allowed at UT anyway, so wouldn't it not even be to his benefit (nor to his detriment) as an applicant to say he's hispanic?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »
Updated info from 2000

Ethnic groups:   
white 77.1%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1.5%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.3%, other 4% (2000)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.) 

Apparently you missed my earlier response.

Say, how many of your kids are named "Experience"?

momofthree

• Sr. Citizen
  • my sweetie in action
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 02:39:28 PM »
my argument is that a hispanic person can be of any race. hispanic is not a race.

as far as the definition of hispanic, it looks like there are different ones everywhere we look.  i guess law school apps should have a definition beside the box unless they want to keep having situations like this arise.

i personally think that when someone is adopted into a family, the family identity becomes theirs regardless of race.  

You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?