Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My letter to Texas, plus my summary of the BigTex situation  (Read 7422 times)

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
Re: My letter to Texas, plus my summary of the BigTex situation
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 01:59:22 PM »
Um, the first  thing they teach you in law school is to read entire paragraphs, not to mention entire sentences.  It was already established (on another thread - the one about "school X") that Tex f'd up.  The complete application instructions (as opposed to your ghetto edited version) left room for him to submit information.  Given he was guilty of a lie of omission (at the very best) without the addendum, he should have sent it.  Or perhaps he shouldn't have claimed to be hispanic because of a non-blood relative.  I've got plenty of black relatives and that doesn't make me black.  Just like I've got a mom and a sister, but that doesn't make me a women.

Let's end this whole stupid "Ohhhh the injustice" crusade and get back to talking about interesting things.

it hasn't really been established that tex screwed up.  that's the opinion of some LSDers, and we're not on the adcomm, and it's not for us to decide whether he screwed up (though we're certainly free to discuss and have our own opinions; it just doesn't *establish* anything).

perhaps you missed all the posts where the gov't says that hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race, and that people of any race can be hispanic.  i'm really sick of the retarded hyperboles of "i went to cancun; am i mexican?" "i have a mother; am i woman?"  if you really think that's a logical comparison to tex being adopted and absorbed into an extended hispanic family, get ready to be at the bottom of your law school class.

Everyone seems to be choosing sides. This is what I don't get about your comment. Some are judging what UT did. Others are judging what Big Tex did. Do we honestly know exactly what UT did? It seems to me like there could be more to this story. Didn't somebody mention that Tex sent a thread to an adcom. Wouldn't that stir up their interest. It just seems like there could be a lot more to this story. Maybe UT did something terrible, maybe not, but I suppose all the speculation is amusing.

I don't think tradewonk was that serious about the Cancun thing. He has already given a more nuanced opinion on the matter in previous posts.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

ilsox7

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 02:01:46 PM »
Either way let's drop it.

Um, I've made about 4 comments about this whole issues.  You're the one going on and on and on and on and making these assumptions about UT and being Hispanic.  I'm only going with the facts as presented.  If you want to drop it, go right ahead.  This is apparently a HUGE deal to you. 

jaxon

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 02:01:52 PM »
There is a reason why its known as the University of TTTexas .  Lets also not forget that they have the insecure trolling LeiTTTer on staff.  UT is a regional state school that is vastly overrated.  It doesn't surprise me that they would resort to big brother type tactics.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »
Again, numerically speaking over half of my family is black.  Also, numerically speaking, over half my family are women.

don't berate the intelligence of others when you're making comments like the one quoted.  *YOU* don't get it.  black is a race.  female is a gender.  both are in your genes, and can't be altered (exception for gender operations).  hispanic is not in your genes; it's a cultural identification.

i love how you choose to ignore whatever doesn't jive with your argument.  i made the comment about how race and culture are not the same thing, and you quoted it and made the comparison to you being black again.  and once again, enjoy the bottom of your LS class.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 02:06:44 PM »

Um, I've made about 4 comments about this whole issues.  You're the one going on and on and on and on and making these assumptions about UT and being Hispanic.  I'm only going with the facts as presented.  If you want to drop it, go right ahead.  This is apparently a HUGE deal to you. 

This may come as a shock Ilsox, but my comments were not only directed at you.  Yes, it's true, there are other relevant people in the world too.  So my comment goes out to, oh I don't know, maybe people who are writing letters to UT expressing moral outrage, or demanding facts (ironically, given they are bi***ing about privacy issues??); issuing condemnations to the school, suggesting we get Drudge and CNN involved (I actually laughed out loud) etc, etc. etc.  So Ilsox, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.  I was using the "royal" "you" and meant EVERYONE.
"...I keep getting older, and they stay the same age."

momofthree

• Sr. Citizen
  • my sweetie in action
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 02:08:40 PM »
I support bigtex.  most hispanic people are considered white as far as race is concerned.

You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?

ilsox7

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 02:09:57 PM »

This may come as a shock Ilsox, but my comments were not only directed at you.  Yes, it's true, there are other relevant people in the world too.  So my comment goes out to, oh I don't know, maybe people who are writing letters to UT expressing moral outrage, or demanding facts (ironically, given they are bi***ing about privacy issues??); issuing condemnations to the school, suggesting we get Drudge and CNN involved (I actually laughed out loud) etc, etc. etc.  So Ilsox, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.  I was using the "royal" "you" and meant EVERYONE.

Here's a thought: when you quote someone, it is implied that you are responding to that person.  Then again, you don't seem to be able to comprehend basic logic, so I'm not surprised if this would go over your head, too.  As Pookie said, enjoy the bottom of your class.

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »
Again, numerically speaking over half of my family is black.  Also, numerically speaking, over half my family are women.

don't berate the intelligence of others when you're making comments like the one quoted.  *YOU* don't get it.  black is a race.  female is a gender.  both are in your genes, and can't be altered (exception for gender operations).  hispanic is not in your genes; it's a cultural identification.

i love how you choose to ignore whatever doesn't jive with your argument.  i made the comment about how race and culture are not the same thing, and you quoted it and made the comparison to you being black again.  and once again, enjoy the bottom of your LS class.

Nice try genius (see, now I'm complimenting you).  Apparently you missed my slick switch, in which I went from the word "black" to "african american" to appease your nitpicking - or are you going to tell me that African American is genetic?  Oh yes, those American genes.

momofthree

• Sr. Citizen
  • my sweetie in action
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »
From the World Fact Book (1992)

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/factbook/us/popula.html

Population of the US
Ethnic groups  white 83.5%, black 12.4%, Asian 3.3%, Amerindian 0.8% (1992)

note:a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (especially of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)
You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 02:20:54 PM »
From the World Fact Book (1992)

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/factbook/us/popula.html

Population of the US
Ethnic groups  white 83.5%, black 12.4%, Asian 3.3%, Amerindian 0.8% (1992)

note:a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (especially of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)

Yo mom, I know you've been busy with other things besides thinking these last few years, but get with the program.  What you wrote was never in dispute.  Wasn't there a section on the LSAT called "identify the argument?"