Law School Discussion

What do you wear when visiting a school?

Re: What do you wear when visiting a school?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 06:48:38 PM »
DO NOT wear a suit - trust me, I'm at a T14.  Jeans are fine - whatever you feel comfortable in.  There's no need to dress up unless you want to.  All of the students will be in jeans, so if you wear a suit you are bound to stand out, and not in a good way.

lil_token

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »
DO NOT wear a suit - trust me, I'm at a T14.  Jeans are fine - whatever you feel comfortable in.  There's no need to dress up unless you want to.  All of the students will be in jeans, so if you wear a suit you are bound to stand out, and not in a good way.

My admit day at a T14 was pretty casual, but others who went to ours said that other T14's (I think maybe Columbia, Chicago, Penn) were pretty stuffy and most people were in at LEAST business casual, with some going all out in suits.

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 06:59:41 PM »

I wore jeans and a sweater to a T14 admit day and felt severly underdressed. I dressed business-casual at another T14 admit day and was slightly overdressed but felt much better. 

My advice: err on the side of over-dressed, not under-.

burp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 08:10:12 PM »
I usually wear khakis, dress shirt, and tie - for no other reason than the fact that I like wearing ties and I don't have other opportunities to dress this way. ;)

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 08:19:58 AM »
I've been to a couple of admit events here in Chicago (usually alumni receptions), and almost everyone was wearing formal gear. Most people didn't have a jacket on, but there was only one person with jeans. I thought I'd be on the more dressed up end of things, with a sweater and suit pants, but it ended up being just fine.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 06:17:39 PM »
Depends on the situation. If it is an admit day (an event at the law school), casual is fine. I wore jeans and a dress shirt to UVa and felt perfectly fine. On the other hand, if you are talking about other events, like those MC posted about, then Business casual, at least.