Law School Discussion

$$$ from W&Lee

Andie203

• LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
$$$ from W&Lee
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:36:55 PM »
17,500 a year from Washington & Lee.  Makes my full tuition at Iowa kind of a toss up.....hmmmmmm...

Andie

dubris

Re: $$$ from W&Lee
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »
Congrats!! Puts my $$$ to shame...
Have you visited both schools yet?

Andie203

• LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »
Now don't go pooh-poohing your $$$ from Washington & Lee, it's exciting to get any $$$ from a school.

I haven't visited W&L yet, I will be there this coming Sunday/Monday.  I've visited Iowa.......cause I live there.   I live in Iowa City right now.

I'm going to have a hard decision turning down full tuition at Iowa b/c it's a good law school but also b/c I LOVE Iowa City and Iowa Football and Iowa Basketball and my brother lives in Iowa City and on and on.....

I guess we'll see....

Andie

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 10:18:41 AM »
If you plan on practicing in Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin I'd definitely stick with Iowa. 

Effectively, W&L is a Southeastern school. The good jobs you'll be offered are located in Virginia State, Pennsylvania, DC, The Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and somewhat in Georgia/Florida. 

I talked to a 2001 graduate of W&L who is practicing in Chicago, and he said that in order to get back to Illinois (he graduated from Bradley University for his Undergrad) he had to take a firm job in Columbus, OH (according to him, the only midwest firm at OCI) and then through that, he got a federal clerkship in Northern Illinois, and via that, landed a solid firm job in Chicago.  That's a LOT of extra effort to get back to his home area, so keep this in mind.

I got $10,000/year less than you at W&L (though I'm probably going to request more) and I'm still considering it over the midwest offers ($10k/year at IU-B, some money at Iowa, Illinois, etc...) because W&L seems much more prestigious, and the student body, overall, will most likely be a lot more diverse and intelligent. 

The class of 2007 had 128 students, and between them they were from 46 different states.  The median LSAT score was 166 (this far eclipses Iowa and any other big 10 school excluding Michigan and Northwestern) and they placed 30% of their students in clerkships, which is second to only Yale's placement.

Another BIG factor I'd take into consideration is the requirement to keep your scholarship at Iowa.  Staying in the top 20% isn't something ANYONE should assume, even if it's a Harvard level student attending Cooley.  It's extremely risky to hedge your confidence on a scholarship that has such lofty requirements.   If our scholarships for W&L are similar, then yours is also without a minimum GPA or minimum class rank to maintain it--this is a big factor for me, personally.

Good luck in your choice.