Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ Houston Admit Day on Saturday  (Read 1360 times)

abcd

• View Profile
Univ Houston Admit Day on Saturday
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:36:04 PM »
anyone going to be there?

texas1

Re: Univ Houston Admit Day on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:57:33 PM »
anyone going to be there?

Not unless I get an email tomorrow!

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 10:01:34 PM »
Wish I could go but I can't afford to go back until I house hunt.  Have fun!

BTW, if they say they're feeding you, eat before you go. The food was good, but it was in very small quantity--like Hollywood Star Diet Small.  ;D

abcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:22:02 AM »
BTW, if they say they're feeding you, eat before you go. The food was good, but it was in very small quantity--like Hollywood Star Diet Small.  ;D

Lol! thanks for the tip.

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 11:11:54 AM »
I'm going to the one in April. I think I'm also going to the thing at Fullbright & Jaworski.

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 04:12:53 PM »
DEAN NANCY B. RAPOPORT
and the faculty of the
University of Houston Law Center
cordially invite you
to a special reception for

Accepted Students &
UH Law Center Alumni

Monday, April 4, 2005
5:30 P.M.-7:00 P.M.

Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
1301 McKinney, Suite 5100
Houston, TX 77010-3095

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 11:34:08 AM »
If anyone went to this can you let us know what it was like?

where2g0

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 11:46:31 PM »
If anyone went to this can you let us know what it was like?

I went to the Admitted Student's Day on Saturday.  To be honest, I had already pretty much taken Houston out of consideration.  However, after Saturday, they are back in the mix.  I really don't know what I am going to do.

The biggest drawbacks for Houston, in my opinion, is the building itself and the part of town that it is in.

However, it is certainly a good school.  Saturday was the first day of their Spring Break and there were several students who had volunteered to be there to help tour us around.  Dean Rapaport taught a mock class and spent some time selling Houston.  I found her to be very straight forward and refreshingly honest.  She made the comment that "if you come to Houston, you will have to be top 10-15% of your class to get a Big Law job with Baker- Botts, or Fulbright-Jaworski, etc."  But, that 90% of UH graduates find legal jobs within 6 months and the average salary is $78K, which is a bit over the national average. 

I was not overly impressed with the students, but they seemed very congenial and happy with their decision to attend Houston. 

The alums that came to the luncheon were all very nice and seemed to be extremely happy in their jobs.  Of course, they were employed in Houston. 

Houston, itself, is a great city.  The fourth largest city in the country, yet lower cost of living than many smaller cities (including Austin).  The clinic offering at Houston is very enticing also, compared to schools like Baylor.

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 04:23:46 PM »
Thanks for letting us now what the visits were like!!  :) Does anyone know what the grading curve is like there?

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 10:50:22 PM »
That's cool about the rank-per-section. I like that.

I'm going to attend. Do you think you'll go?

I went and was pretty happy with it.  I really like the city of Houston so I know that that influences my opinion to a certain extent.  After hearing about how ugly U of H is I expected a dump, but I didn't think it was bad at all.  The school is definitely a commuter school.  I'm not sure how as an undergrad people walk from building to building because they seem so far apart with large parking lots in between, but the law school is two buildings right next to each other.  Supposedly the school is in a not-so-hot area, but the entrance to campus is right off the 45 exit and I didn't really see the surrounding area.  The campus has some greenery and appears to be separate from the rest of the area in that I didn't see anyone walking around on campus who looked like they were not affiliated with UH somehow and I felt completely safe and removed during my time on campus.  The architecture of the building isn't the traditional old campus style, but I thought that the buildings were nice and up to date.  (I believe they might have done some renovation after the flood.)  The entire building is wireless and there are a lot of little areas set-up throughout the building where you can congregate to either socialize or study.

I thought that the tour guide students were helpful and they seemed very happy with their decision to attend UH.  Both my guides said that Houston did not have as competitive an environment as they expected although everyone in law school is a little more anal/obsessive-compulsive/neurotic than your normal group of people.  Of course, I was there on a Saturday so I couldn't get a feel for the general intensity level.

They really pushed using the career center to find employment.  Apparently most of the on-campus recruiting just serves the top 10-15%, but the office really pushed that they were able to assist in finding a job for the rest of the group if you used the resources and worked with the folks at the career center.  They help out with resumes, job postings, mock interviews, etc. They've also apparently got a binder of firms in Houston that describe and will give you an idea of individual firm cultures and help to match you up with a good fit for your personality.  There's also a book in the Admissions office that outlines each professor's curve grading scale so you can see how many A's, B's, C's each professor hands out before you sign up for the class.

I don't know if this is normal procedure or not, but your rank after your first year is determined by your section.  For instance, there are about 4 sections and the law review invitations go out to the people who are in the top 10% of their section as opposed to top 10% overall.  One section is made up exclusively of the part-time students.

Let me know if you've got any other specific questions!