Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The identity of school x!  (Read 7738 times)

mattb23

Re: The identity of school x!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 10:06:28 PM »
Though I personally would not do so without this guy's permission, I'm certain someone is going to get fed up with this and email a link or two off to some journalistic programs.  Hell, this is the sort of thing I can imagine showing up on some sort of CNBC 15 minute discussion or something and maybe getting some hype if it catches some momentum. 

I could see Olbermann running it from Tex's standpoint; and I could easily see O'Reilly "looking at for you!" and defending school X.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 10:17:12 PM »
Specifically, what law did School X break?

I never have really cared for the way adcomms share information with one another (I've heard they do so often from so many sources, I'm inclined to believe it is true), but I am at a loss as to what law or code of ethics is being violated.

I will say that they should have phoned BigTex first, but, then again, they thought they smelled out a violation worthy of notifying other schools.  Understandable since URM status is such an advantage.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 10:23:29 PM »
Though I personally would not do so without this guy's permission, I'm certain someone is going to get fed up with this and email a link or two off to some journalistic programs.  Hell, this is the sort of thing I can imagine showing up on some sort of CNBC 15 minute discussion or something and maybe getting some hype if it catches some momentum. 

I could see Olbermann running it from Tex's standpoint; and I could easily see O'Reilly "looking at for you!" and defending school X.

I could see O'Reilly making out with hitler... but I don't want to get political :P

careful... UT is watching...
douchebags!

(163+172)/3.5

mattb23

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 10:26:06 PM »

I could see O'Reilly making out with hitler... but I don't want to get political :P

careful... UT is watching...
douchebags!

:)

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 10:29:01 PM »
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Statement+on+Economic%2C+Social%2C+or+Personal+Disadvantage%22

::)

OOoooooooh, ok I can't resist adding to our little investigative journalism, (hey, if they can investigate us, WE can band together and investigate THEM...and there's a lot MORE of us!), but that appears to be the same school that XOXOHTH poster said contacted him about his lsn account.  also read somewhere on XOXO (not confirmed by any means) that the dean of this school likes to be in touch with the online boards...hmmmm.....

on the other hand, I had an interesting revelation... yes, law schools can find out a lot about us from these onlien boards, but WE can also find out a lot about them.  I was just thinking, what did people do before this year, before the access to the information of thousands of strangers allowed them to find out when schools are sending acceptances, rejections, waitlists.... lsn was around last year, but the amount of people using it this year, i'm sure, has increased its statistical consistency...

Furthermore, the sharing of information has allowed many intelligent hypothesis arise about how different schools pick applicants, (i.e. numbers, work experience, applied early on etc etc)

I LOVE this board, xoxohth, and lsn because of the amount of data that can be viewed through them; and for those who wish tocareful study can lead to deriving theories and understandings about how the admission cycle works!  It's like a big pool of information, and a lot of really smart kids on here have figured out how to analyze it and see why the information is the way it is.

I think it's quite possible that the accumulation of information has given some applicants an upper hand over the schools, rather than the other way around.  I could be wrong though, but I really do like how everyone has come together to contribute to this, and the best part of it is that its free!  minus the need for internet connection, (which i believe is even oferred at some public libraries), you can be black, white, rich, poor, two headed, etc, and still be able to access this and educate yourself beyond what the applications for certain schools tell you, (i.e. except our decisions sometime around april....hmmmm, not always true now is it?!? ;) )

I agree wholeheartedly. LSD is, for all intents and purposes, the discussion, information sharing, and friendship of all the other prelaw people I know.

Without LSD, I wouldn't have any 'real' friends because I would never shut the @#!* up about law to everyone I know  :P

Maybe some adcoms don't feel comfortable with the information sharing... it certainly changes the dynamics for us. Hey, I know now that if I am gonna claim hispanic, I better send the addendum to all my schools
(163+172)/3.5

RegularGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 10:41:45 PM »

I never have really cared for the way adcomms share information with one another (I've heard they do so often from so many sources, I'm inclined to believe it is true), but I am at a loss as to what law or code of ethics is being violated.

I will say that they should have phoned BigTex first, but, then again, they thought they smelled out a violation worthy of notifying other schools.  Understandable since URM status is such an advantage.

I was under the impression that for *any* part of your application or record at a school to be discussed, shared or released, your explicit permission was required.  Hell, we've all seen what a pain in the ass it can be to get dean certs, transcripts, etc, etc because of all these provisions to keep them from being released to unauthorized parties.  No i certainly can't give you an exact law or statute that was broken, but my impression has *always* been that what you put in your app is pertinent to this school and the school alone.  I mean, even for the bar examiners to look at your apps, i'm fairly certain you have to explicitly release this right to them (though I'm sure someone will tell us for sure). 

Bit of a tanget, but f schools are allowed to start sharing information given as a part of an admissions process, where is the line drawn?  I mean, if someone writes about their experience as a closeted homosexual, can a particularly pious adcomm alert their church?  I should hope the #@!* not. 

Oh, and as a bit of a PS, weren't schools explicitly outlawed from sharing fin aid information with one another (i thought the ivies and a few others were all busted for that some years back)?  I'd have to think that the umbrella under which the illegality of that fell might cover this as well.  But then, I'm going to law school precisely because I don't know jack sh*t about this stuff.

uponcripplecreek

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 10:50:38 PM »
Heh, looks like I'm about 4 hours too late to cracking this mystery :)

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 10:53:07 PM »
So, I was just explaining this interesting and disturbing development to my wife and she brought something to my attention. With all due respect to Bigtex, people tend to tell a story in a light which most favors them. We only have one version of this story. Unless this can be corroborated, it's simply not trustworthy. Can anybody think of a way to find out from someone ELSE if Bigtex's version is what actually happened? If so, what the dean did is entirely unacceptable and should be exposed. Otherwise, there's nothing to get excited about.

Bigtex, this has nothing to do with you personally. I would want confirmation of a story the Pope told, too.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 10:55:07 PM »

It is a potential violation of the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act. That being said given that 1) the school did not disclose any info they had obtained form the student and 2) that any disclosure may be permitted under b1b, any legal action would be difficult.

http://www.epic.org/privacy/education/ferpa.html

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 10:59:04 PM »
I still say sue.

And now I feel all violated ...  :-[. Does anyone else feel like LSD is less of a safe place? I mean, not that I've said anything I'd regret, or that i wouldn't say in real life ... but I just don't like that the schools have the power to find something they don't like and MAIL IT TO OTHER SCHOOLS.