Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: richmond...as nice as the pics look?  (Read 1191 times)

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
richmond...as nice as the pics look?
« on: March 10, 2005, 06:17:27 PM »
the pictures make the campus look gorgeous...richmond doesnt evoke a good picture in my mind though...has anyone taken a campus tour??
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Re: richmond...as nice as the pics look?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 06:36:40 PM »
Is anywhere really "as nice as the pics look"?
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

grad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 06:40:06 PM »
I've actually taken two tours.  Once when deciding where to apply, and then again when I was accepted.  And to answer your question, yes, the campus is a beautifuul as the pictures elude.  My sister-in-law graduated UG from there and I've been living about 10 miles away the past two years and the campus is gorgeous.  It surrounds a lake so it may be a long walk depending on where you are going (the law school is all in one building), but the scenery will be worth it.

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 07:15:41 PM »
how is the atmosphere on campus? i hear its rich southerners...i'm assuming thats bs right?
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:29:48 PM »
No, it is rich southerners. My roommate has a cousin there. Went to visit him and said it's all new SUVs, and rich white kids. Of course, it's a private college in the carolinas, so that's to be expected.

grad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:30 PM »
Rich Northerners actually.  Just kidding.  I really liked the atmosphere.  UR was actually like middle of the pack for me in the rankings game compared to other places I applied, but after my visit it shot up to top two (W&M is #1).  The students were VERY friendly.  I would randomly stop kids in the hall and ask questions and they were very enthusiastic about the school and more than willing to help out.  I didn't sense that feeling of cut throat competition at all.  

As for the whole campus, most of the students are well off financial, well, at least their parents are.  However, I have a hard time seeing the snobby rich attitude that you would expect.  I've been spending time there, visiting my sister-in-law and going back with alumni I've met, and the people just don't come across as snobby or anything.  And most students appear to be from the North actually, Jersey, PA, etc.

The atmosphere though is freindly, open, and warm.  I walked on campus and immediately felt at "home."  I figure where one goes to law school will consume the next 3 years of your life, so you want to go to a place that will feel like a home away from home, and UR was definitely that.  The faculty and staff is very friendly and encourage that atmosphere.  I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like the atmosphere there.

grad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »
Yes it is rich, it's private as you stated, but most of the people I've met have been from the north.  When I started working out of UG I started with a group of 9 new graduates.  4 graduated from UR and 3 were from PA and 1 was from Maryland.  They were saying most everyone is from north of the mason dixon.  Not that this really matters.  But it is rich, and it is mostly white.  However, I never got the upiddy feeling you'd expect from most wealthy schools like that.

williamwallace50

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - caveman7321
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 08:16:50 AM »
the pictures make the campus look gorgeous...richmond doesnt evoke a good picture in my mind though...has anyone taken a campus tour??
I live in Richmond and I took the LSAT at UofR. The campus is quite striking. I can't say too much for the city though.

PS. Only place I have ever seen with designated parking for electric cars (charges inlcuded and all). I have never seen a car parked in either of the spots.

coolioom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 02:37:58 PM »
I live in Richmond and I must say that it is a great city to live and work in. I know a lot of Richmond law students and many of them love the school buildings, the general campus area, and the city itself. U of R is on the outskirts of the city limits of Richmond, but Richmond as a general metro area is a good size (little less than 1 million in all the surrounding counties).

I think most of the law students live in apts. near or around the school (10-15 drive) and for fun most of them head to bars, clubs, or friends houses.

I went to the law reception they had for incoming fall students last year, and a word of warning - there were hardly ANY hot girls. Like 0. The guys also looked mostly like tool-bags, but I guess if you are cool, you can get whatever small amount of girls there are (including some of the hot undergrads).

However, I wouldn't worry too much about the girls at the actual law school, because there are plenty of fine women in Richmond. Any other questions

captmiseee

• AOL Instant Messenger - captmiseee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 03:07:15 PM »
I went to the law reception they had for incoming fall students last year, and a word of warning - there were hardly ANY hot girls. Like 0. The guys also looked mostly like tool-bags, but I guess if you are cool, you can get whatever small amount of girls there are (including some of the hot undergrads).

However, I wouldn't worry too much about the girls at the actual law school, because there are plenty of fine women in Richmond. Any other questions

Om you would post something like this... yes the most important thing in law school is hooking up LOL.... ;)