Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&M Apps up 26%  (Read 593 times)

Packman2162

• View Profile
Re: W&M Apps up 26%
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »
I've applied their and am still waiting.  I don't think I'll get in because my numbers are a bit low.

But I'd rather go to UNC anyway.

Macul

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 06:23:44 PM »
 :D Didn't do so well on reading comp eh? 

"During the 2004 admission cycle, the Law School Admission Office experienced a 26 percent increase in applicant volume and work load."

"All this in a year when they physically handled and completed all of the application processing steps for 4377 JD and LLM applications"

So a) it was for last year and b)those numbers are for llm and jd applicants...

There is good news at LSAC.org however.  Check out volume summary and you will note that total number of lsat takers is down.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 06:42:03 PM »
That would explain why I still haven't heard back on my app.

uhhgh

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

I call it as I see it

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:26:14 PM »
Modest and quick to give credit where credit is due, Antinori and Harmon cite excellent recruiting efforts for last year's dramatic increase in applications. But the team's utilization of the LSAC (Law School Admission Council) database also helped. The LSAC maintains a database of every applicant that has taken the required test for law school applicants (LSAT).

Translation: Our apps are way up because we sent out a ton of fee waivers.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 07:41:43 PM »
I would believe it on the fee waivers. W & M sent me a huge packet.  I decided to apply to W & L instead though. (Also fee waiver)

My LSAT was only a 163...how many of those did they hand out?

I call it as I see it

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 07:54:44 PM »
I would believe it on the fee waivers. W & M sent me a huge packet.  I decided to apply to W & L instead though. (Also fee waiver)

Well, they send them out to anyone above a certain lsat score.  There were 145,258 test takers for the 2004-05 cycle, since you got one at the 90% that means an estimate of at least 14,526 and possibly more depending on the exact cutoff.

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 12:12:10 AM »
Good eye, Macul. Actually, I did very well on reading comprehension. But I bombed the logic games.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 06:10:37 AM »

Well, they send them out to anyone above a certain lsat score.  There were 145,258 test takers for the 2004-05 cycle, since you got one at the 90% that means an estimate of at least 14,526 and possibly more depending on the exact cutoff.

But they don't send them out to everyone. They probably take the geographic preferences that people selected on CRS into account; not sending waivers to people on the west coast (like me), unless they stated a preference for eastern law schools. Still, I am sure that they sent a significant number of waivers out.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.