Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should Admissions Officers match LSD/LSN users to applications?  (Read 721 times)

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
I am divorcing this topic from the original thread to reinforce that my comments are not meant to judge specific people's actions.

Adcomms matching LSD/LSN profiles to applicants raises some big issues:
  • Privacy of the applicant
  • Honesty in the application
  • Schools using the rules that they set for themselves

Privacy
There is no privacy issue here. This is a public place; if you make comments here then anyone can read them. Having a conversation on this board or posting information on LSN is not fundamentally different from having a conversation or posting information in the halls of your favorite law school.

Even if you desired or intended for your conversation/information to be private, you willingly acted in a public place. Naked people in a mall cannot complain about voyeurs.

Honesty
If someone were to deceive the adcomms, and information on LSD/LSN helped to uncover that dishonesty, then I think it is a good thing. Two examples: one, imagine that Applicant X intentionally did not send a transcript to LSDAS from a summer school program. They got 2 bad grades in that program and it would bring down their GPA. Their main undergrad school never knew about it, so it is not on any other transcripts. During the application process Applicant X then reveals this on LSD. If the adcomms were to read it, then I would hope that they would follow-up on the issue. I don't think they should automatically reject the applicant, but I think they should investigate.

Example two: Applicant Y claims to be a resident of State E where College E is located. To be a resident you have to meet 3 criteria. Applicant Y reads the criteria and honestly believes that he is a resident. Applicant Y has discussions on LSD about residency and applications. College E reads the threads and realizes that Applicant Y has misunderstood the criteria. Again, the school should investigate, not eliminate.

In either case, this prevents people from cheating the system.

Playing by their own rules
There is a constraint on the actions of law schools though. If a school makes a big deal out of the fact that they do not make marks in people's files based on phone calls, visits, interviews, etc, then I think they should not read LSD/LSN during application season.

It is not ethical for them to break their own guidelines when they were too short sighted to realize that they might actually want to use information not contained in the application to make admission decisions.

Conclusion
Unless adcomms say they won't consider information outside of the application, it is a good idea for them to read LSD and LSN. Ultimately, everyone needs to practice discretion, because the Internet is not a private forum.