Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would it be crazy to take Uconn over Emory?  (Read 2702 times)

lil_token

Re: Would it be crazy to take Uconn over Emory?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 01:54:37 AM »
I do think it'd be worth visiting Emory if you haven't.

lil_token, you bring up a good point about making a "dilligent investigation into the placement and salary stats of both schools," but how is this done without falling back on some sort of quantitative data?  And the only quantitative data that I seem to be able to find is USN -- and perhaps school websites and numbers of OCI employers.   I'd love other suggestions...

Other than that I feel like information gets really slippery -- the "my brother-in-law told me" variety...

I would look into the OCS information before relying on hearsay or USNews data.  The first for obvious reasons, the second because there are sometimes reporting errors in USNews data.  Furthermore, the US News data, even if correct, only gives a limited snap-shot of the placement and salary stats, because it doesn't account for things like students who willingly take more time to look for work to find a very particular position (thus they drag down the placement within 9 months of grad rates), students who choose lower-paying positions for lifestyle considerations, etc. The OSC will probably be able to provide you with such info. 

lil_token

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »
My two cents, for what they are worth:

DO NOT choose your law school location based on a boyfriend or girlfriend!!! The vast majority of relationships that 1L's are involved in FAIL!  Unless the other person is in law school or has been through law school, they cannot understand and comiserate with what you are going through.  By 2L, you will be single, stuck at a school and city you probably hate, and you will be kicking youself in the ass because your professional aspirations were shattered (unless the school has placement/salary stats comparable to the one you gave up).

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 12:21:38 AM »

DO NOT choose your law school location based on a boyfriend or girlfriend!!! The vast majority of relationships that 1L's are involved in FAIL!  Unless the other person is in law school or has been through law school, they cannot understand and comiserate with what you are going through.  By 2L, you will be single, stuck at a school and city you probably hate, and you will be kicking youself in the ass because your professional aspirations were shattered (unless the school has placement/salary stats comparable to the one you gave up).

Wow, I'm sure that makes her feel good.

And how would you know this?  Have you done a study on 1Ls? 

I have a really good friend who's a 2L.  She pretty much knew what she was getting into when she started law school.  She had a talk with her boyfriend and told him what being a law student meant.  She told him that she'd be "checking out" of life for eight months, and that she'd try her best to spend time with him, but she couldn't promise him anything.  He was really understanding.  They'd been in a relationship for 2 1/2 years and it survived through her first year of law school. The summer after 1L she committed a couple weeks to just spending time with him.  Now she's almost done with her second year of law school and things are really good for them.  She had a much less intense year in her second year and they've both learned to deal with what law school means.

So it worked for her.  And if it can work for her, it can work for anybody -- if you go into it with the right expectations and a relationship that's already strong.

Remember, you're not 17 (and while you might be 22, many of us are older -- perhaps even over 30).  I know your mom drilled it into your head to not go to college for your boyfriend.  But it's not puppy-love.  Treat it seriously.  A life-partner is more important than law school in the long run. 

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 12:33:26 AM »
so what you're saying is my 4 year relationship with my girlfriend will be ruined after one year of law school?  yikes, maybe i should choose another path here.  thanks for the info. 
FIU Class of 2009

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 01:39:08 AM »
thelawfool,

Yes, but what I believe she's actually saying is that, "By 2L, you will be single, stuck at a school and city you probably hate, and you will be kicking youself in the ass because your professional aspirations were shattered..."

Go figure.

Seriously though, it takes a strong relationship, a lot of caring and understanding, and perhaps a some dedicated time when you do have it (for instance, the summer after your first year).  It can work. 

XOXOHTH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2005, 11:21:57 AM »

Aren't your professional aspirations shattered enough as it is by attending Boalttt?

lil_token

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »
Actually, there ARE studies on this.  One in particular is cited in Law School for Dummies and I remember seeing references to a couple more in other pre-law books I have read. 

I realize some relationships are strong enough to withstand the test of law school, BUT if the relationship was serious enough, there would be some talk of marriage, engagement, co-habitation, etc.  If it's not puppy love, then sure it could work, but these studies and my observations of my classmates and friends indicate that most relationships with non-LS partners fail during the first year.

Wow, I'm sure that makes her feel good.

And how would you know this?  Have you done a study on 1Ls? 

I have a really good friend who's a 2L.  She pretty much knew what she was getting into when she started law school.  She had a talk with her boyfriend and told him what being a law student meant.  She told him that she'd be "checking out" of life for eight months, and that she'd try her best to spend time with him, but she couldn't promise him anything.  He was really understanding.  They'd been in a relationship for 2 1/2 years and it survived through her first year of law school. The summer after 1L she committed a couple weeks to just spending time with him.  Now she's almost done with her second year of law school and things are really good for them.  She had a much less intense year in her second year and they've both learned to deal with what law school means.

So it worked for her.  And if it can work for her, it can work for anybody -- if you go into it with the right expectations and a relationship that's already strong.

Remember, you're not 17 (and while you might be 22, many of us are older -- perhaps even over 30).  I know your mom drilled it into your head to not go to college for your boyfriend.  But it's not puppy-love.  Treat it seriously.  A life-partner is more important than law school in the long run. 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005, 03:11:38 PM »
Actually, there ARE studies on this.  One in particular is cited in Law School for Dummies.

Okay... this doesn't give me any real information...

I realize some relationships are strong enough to withstand the test of law school, BUT if the relationship was serious enough, there would be some talk of marriage, engagement, co-habitation, etc. 

Nobody said there wasn't talk of co-habitation.  On the other hand, young people are putting off engagement and marriage until later these days anyhow.  And perhaps marriage isn't right for everybody (or even legal, as is true for people in same-sex relationships). 

If it's not puppy love, then sure it could work, but these studies and my observations of my classmates and friends indicate that most relationships with non-LS partners fail during the first year.

Again, I'd have to actually see such a study that you said existed.  Or I'd have to talk to the people you're talking about -- otherwise it doesn't pass a BS test.  There's a reason that hearsay isn't admissible in court -- partially the understanding that people embellish what others say to give themselves more credibility (not necessarily saying you're doing that, but how am I to know). 

In any case, I think that if you're in your early twenties or older, and have been in a relationship for more than a couple years, "puppy-love" isn't likely to be a problem. 

lil_token

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 03:26:30 PM »
I gave you the source.  Go find the information before you call BS.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
No you didn't give me the source.  You said that you believe the source was cited in "law school for dummies" (certainly a reputable publication if there ever was one).

You'll have to excuse me if I don't drive to the bookstore, find the citation, drive to the library, look up the book, and make a copy.