Law School Discussion

Would it be crazy to take Uconn over Emory?

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: Would it be crazy to take Uconn over Emory?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 08:52:46 PM »
Um, can I ask why salary stats are useless?  I mean, why is your "assumption" better?

Everyman

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 07:17:08 AM »
Sleepy guy, I would be wary of UConn's salary stats.  Look at how low the report rate is, in all probability those that didn't report had lower salaries.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 08:48:20 AM »
You don't know that.  What makes you think that?  What information do you have, that I don't, that leads you to believe it's less than a random sample of grads?

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong.  Just that for you to say something like without any reason is absurd.

Everyman

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 09:23:46 AM »
I base it off of the assumption that those that would feel least comfortable disclosing their salary stats could have chosen not to do so for the following reasons:

(1) They are "ashamed" of their salary.  Humans with successes are much more likely to trumpet their accomplishments if they are better.

(2) They are angry or upset with the OCI office because they couldn't get a good job, so they refuse to participate.

I don't see well-paid lawyers who are content with their quality of law education refusing to participate, outside of a few stubborn outliers.  I'm not a huge Emory fan, anyway, at least not since I found out that it's like NYC-south there, so look at my post how you want.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »
So it's just your instinct.  Hmmm...

Everyman

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 10:18:41 AM »
I'd call it common sense.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 10:21:26 AM »
It really is common knowledget that salary stats are misleading at best, and generally worthless.  Assuming you didn't care where you lived, would you rather make 125K in NYC, or 90K in Atlanta?  

They say that even within one city it is misleading (e.g. Columbia vs. NYU) because there are a lot of firms that start at the same salary level, but within a few years you see massive discrepancies - depending on firm quality.  You need to look at the actual firms that recruit from there.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 02:26:40 PM »
It really is common knowledge...

They say...

Sure...

even within one city it is misleading (e.g. Columbia vs. NYU)

Give me a break.  What reputable person or publication ever said that there was a great difference in the quality of firms between the number four and five schools in the country?

Assuming you didn't care where you lived, would you rather make 125K in NYC, or 90K in Atlanta? 

When has it ever been the case that a person wouldn't care at all where they lived -- between Atlanta and NYC?  They're not exactly similar.  You can't remove this from the equation, unless you're talking about schools that are national (T14).  Conn and Emory aren't national schools. 

Besides, Atlanta isn't as cheap as it once was -- there's not as large a difference as you think between 90k in Atlanta and 125k in NYC.  It would still be more expensive in NYC, but not by that much.

lil_token

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 06:51:50 PM »
If the schools were even close to comparable in terms of reputation, I would tell you to go to UConn, since you seem to predict that you would be happier there.  Your satisfaction with the school and its location is a critical factor in your overall success as a student, but I cannot escape the feeling that you have not given Emory even an ounce of fair consideration.  I think you would be an idiot to turn down a school that good without even visiting it.  Who knows -- you might love it down there? 

If your primary concern is your career prospects, you need to make a dilligent investigation into the placement and salary statistics of both schools before making such a drastic (and IMHO, foolish) decision.

And as someone who has lived in both Connecticut and Atlanta, my opinion is that ATL is clearly a better place to live. 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 10:44:37 PM »
I do think it'd be worth visiting Emory if you haven't.

lil_token, you bring up a good point about making a "dilligent investigation into the placement and salary stats of both schools," but how is this done without falling back on some sort of quantitative data?  And the only quantitative data that I seem to be able to find is USN -- and perhaps school websites and numbers of OCI employers.   I'd love other suggestions...

Other than that I feel like information gets really slippery -- the "my brother-in-law told me" variety...