Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 2966 times)

andrea612

• View Profile
Re: Getting Annoyed
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 06:31:44 PM »
I am sorry but I don't understand how somebody with a 2. somthing GPA and 150 something LSAT score is going to trump my application based on merits. If you have a 2. something GPA how in the world are you going to get a good job to brag about in your application or be able to write a good essay for that matter. And what professor is going to write a C student a good recommendation.

You've failed to consider so many different factors in your analysis that your post comes off to be ridiculous and close-minded.

Where did you go to undergrad?  At my school, 2. something students were not stupid.  Would you call a person who got a 2.9 (roughly an 83% cum. average) in say...molecular genetics?  Or how about an applicant who endured so many hardships (social, economic, etc) that he actually failed out of school ten years ago and when he went back, he got a 4.0 every semester, only to bring his cum. up to a 2.9.  Would you call him stupid?  With the right addendum, lsat score, letters of recommendation, etc., his application could very well trump yours.  There are a lot of students out there who have gone through very similar situations (that's why most schools encourage applicants to write about hardships that they've overcome, etc.) and whose applications would probably be looked on more favorably than yours.

Also, do you really think that only people with high gpas can write good personal statements?  At my school, for example, say...chemistry majors only had to take two writing courses.  So, if they were really good writers, they would only have high grades from two classes to bring up their overall gpas.  Conversely, if a chemistry major has a 3.9 gpa, he won't necessarily be able to write a good personal statement.  He could have bombed his two writing courses, but since he had high grades in all of his other classes, he was able to maintain a high gpa.

Further, just because a student has a 2. something gpa, that doesn't mean that he didn't do well in any of his classes.  I'm sure that he could have taken a couple of classes that he really succeeded in, but due to his grades in other classes, he wasn't able to drive up his cumulative.  When he had to find professors to write his letters of recommendation, I'm sure that he went to those whose classes he succeeded in and not to those whose classes he was able to pull off a C in.

Did you come across as this close-minded in your personal statement?  If you did, you may have a few more surprise dings in store.  You aren't going to find too many successful lawyers who aren't able to see (and argue for) more than one side of an issue.  Lighten up, and don't be so bitter towards those who were able to play the admissions game better than you. 
Attending: Capital
Accepted:  Capital, CalWestern, Stetson PT
Waitlist, Accept: McGeorge
Waitlist:  Stetson FT(withdrew)
Pending:  Dayton
Rejects:  Toledo