Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 2988 times)

artgirl

• View Profile
Re: Getting Annoyed
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 11:13:34 PM »
"If you have a 2. something GPA how in the world are you going to get a good job to brag about in your application or be able to write a good essay for that matter."

numbers aren't everything. someone who is smart could easily get bad grades for one reason or another. are you saying that all these low-number urm's are stupid? there are so many reasons someone could have a low gpa or a low lsat...there are social/economic/etc. factors involved as well intelligence. it's possible that a low gpa could be explained in one's personal statement or addendum, did you see the entire applications of these urms? and if that is the case, then i would bet that those statements and/or addendums were fairly eloquent.

it takes more than grades to be able to perform in the real world. it's very possible that someone with low grades may be able to function much more easily in the real, working world than someone with super-high grades. i know quite a few people who are way too smart for their own good. you need social skills as well. and as a lawyer, the ability to empathize...

again, stop being such a sore loser because maybe some white person's application trumped yours, it wasn't nesessarily a urm. maybe you didn't even have a spot to begin with. i mean, i think i had a strong application too yet i am so grateful for my acceptances, i  never assumed i would get in anywhere.you have this sense of entitlement that is not going to help you move on from your rejections. move on or this resentment will grow into full-blown racism.

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 12:52:52 AM »
There are so many things I can think of to write, I don't know where to begin.  Unicorn, I wish you would take a step back and re-read what you are saying; I hope you realize how small minded and bitter it is making you sound, not to mention unbearably arrogant.  If I spent my time wondering why "so-and-so with lower/similar numbers to my own" got into Georgetown or Stanford or wherever else I get rejected from, I would be not only miserable, but probably a pretty unpleasant person.  In a sense, you aren't competing with these people because you have no control over what you and everyone else have already put on your applications.  You also have no control over how they are evaluated by the admissions committees.  What you do have control over is how you handle unpleasant or unpreferable situations in life, such as a rejection from a law school.  Life is full of disappointment - get a helmet and move on.  Do they best you can with what you have and become infinitely more successful and impressive than you already claim to be.  Of all the admirable and successful people I know, none of them harp on how they have been "wronged" by the Man, or by others.  They are focused on their goals and accomplishing them.  If you are so intent on being great, I suggest you do the same.  Bitterness will do nothing for you, but it will quickly drive others away.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 01:38:40 AM »
Well, since we only have GPA to work with in this scenario, it made sorting stats pretty easy.  :)  I bothered to do it because I didn't believe that ANYONE, urm or no, got into NYU or Yale (the two rejections listed by the OP) with a 2.9.  And guess what?  I'm right!

For anyone who's interested:  the rock bottom GPA currently admitted to NYU is a 3.14 (a white male in the military).  The LCD at Yale is currently a 3.5 (a black female). 

The point of these meaningless statistics:  they don't add a point to URM gpas.  AA does not work on an equation (it's actually illegal for it to do so).  And as a white female who was admitted to top schools with less than stellar numbers (I was one of the rock-bottom LSAT scores at Penn for a while, don't know if that's still true), I offer my own case up to the OP as an example where "soft factors" other than race came into play.  And if you examine rejections, plenty of URM's with decent stats get dinged, especially from ultra selective places like Yale.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »
Towanda say it isn't so ...

I was hoping the OP was right. I figured if they're accepting 2.9s I'd be an auto-admit at Yale, what with my URM status and all.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Dawn

• 3.89/165 Playing the waiting game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 08:20:07 AM »

I was hoping the OP was right. I figured if they're accepting 2.9s I'd be an auto-admit at Yale, what with my URM status and all.

LOL!
You are that moon
my moon Goddess shining down light
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
and I shall take this peace
of light and build a world
for you my sister

-The Last Poets

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »

Seriously. I'm surprised I even had to write the essay.

eileen2004

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 09:10:46 AM »
Well, since we only have GPA to work with in this scenario, it made sorting stats pretty easy.  :)  I bothered to do it because I didn't believe that ANYONE, urm or no, got into NYU or Yale (the two rejections listed by the OP) with a 2.9.  And guess what?  I'm right!

She previously posted that her LSAT was a 164.  Regardless of race or GPA, getting rejections from NYU and Yale with a 164 is pretty much a sure thing as she's way below the 25% at both of those schools.  This would be like me going around and complaining about Georgetown rejecting me with a 172 LSAT without mentioning that my GPA is a 2.8

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »
I would understand if it was one person and one school, perhaps they did have a great application.  But it is many people at many schools.

Hmmm...when you say "many," are we talking 100, or 5? The last time I checked neither NYU or Yale were in danger of being overrun with 2.x GPAs and 150 LSATs...but I could be wrong.

I did some research myself...NYU and Yale filled their "whiny complainer" slots early on this year, which is why the OP wasn't admitted. More bad news...Fordham has "Louder than Bombs" in their 1L class this year, so they are covered through 2007 since his unique brand of intolerance spills over to the other two classes. 

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »

LOL.  I know, right?  I guess everyone can stand down their guard against that army of 2.X and 15X's ready to descend upon Yale.   ;D 

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 10:43:47 AM »
I would understand if it was one person and one school, perhaps they did have a great application.  But it is many people at many schools.

Hmmm...when you say "many," are we talking 100, or 5? The last time I checked neither NYU or Yale were in danger of being overrun with 2.x GPAs and 150 LSATs...but I could be wrong.

I did some research myself...NYU and Yale filled their "whiny complainer" slots early on this year, which is why the OP wasn't admitted. More bad news...Fordham has "Louder than Bombs" in their 1L class this year, so they are covered through 2007 since his unique brand of intolerance spills over to the other two classes. 

LOL! Perhaps Unicorn can apply for the 2006 cycle when those slots are open again.  Except Fordham's of course.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am