Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 3055 times)

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Annoyed
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 03:44:39 PM »
In response to the OP: Your LSAT is 4-5 points below the 25% for the schools that rejected you.  Get over yourself.

Hey, how'd you find that out?

Ooooooooo ....  :D

Magic.   ;)

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
you brought up an itneresting point about how it is annoying that there are black, hispanic, asian, etc. "clubs" and "groups"--while if you started a white group there would be a jesse jackson led rally against you..haha

but i think its a bit rash to blame these things on you not getting into a school...perhaps your recommendations, choice of major, essay were weak ?
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

Dawn

• 3.89/165 Playing the waiting game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 07:51:51 PM »
To the OP...Give me a friggin break!  I assume your feelings about people of color have are not limited to your frustration about being waitlisted at certain schools.  Stevie Wonder could see that LSN is nowhere near an accurate representation of law school applicants throughout the country.  Don't blame your seemingly weak application and subsequent waitlist status on us.   ::) 

I get "annoyed" at people who believe they should be an auto admit based on their lsat and ugpa alone.  Contrary to popular belief around here, it doesn't always work that way, even at HYS and the rest of the T14.

And as far as your comments about why there are specific clubs for students of color...you obviously aren't worth the energy it would take to explain why these kinds of clubs exist  ::) 
You are that moon
my moon Goddess shining down light
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
and I shall take this peace
of light and build a world
for you my sister

-The Last Poets

Dawn

• 3.89/165 Playing the waiting game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
I was naive in that by soft factors they meant race.

This is simply conjecture...since you are not privvy to anyone else's application materials.  Is it hard for you to accept that an applicant of color may have more impressive "soft" factors than you (other than race, of course)?  Better writing skills, more prestigious WE, stronger LOR's, etc?

You say that you believe LSN is a good representation of the applicant pool at the schools you speak of...have you considered the thousands of applicants who have not posted to LSN?  The hundreds, if not thousands, of applicants of color who possess stellar numbers and strong application packages and were still rejected?  No, you just want to rant about the unqualified ones who stole your spot.  ::) 

Can you post a link to your LSN profile so we can evaluate your claims for ourselves?

You are that moon
my moon Goddess shining down light
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
and I shall take this peace
of light and build a world
for you my sister

-The Last Poets

artgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 10:45:09 PM »
Why do you assume that the admissions commitee chose a URM over you and not some other white applicant over you?
maybe you should try to  think about why minority clubs are formed in the first place...every day, minorities in america are surrounded by, affected by, living in and experiencing the dominant culture (whether they want to embrace it or not)- that of white (mainly christian) america.
if you think about it, certain white people clubs do exist - at my universities, there have been eastern european clubs, italian clubs, irish clubs, jewish clubs  etc....it's mainly a cultural thing. minorities (whatever color they may be, and that may be a color that can "pass" for white like say, orthodox jew) need a space where people who are put down by racism and other factors that keep minorities oppressed can find community, acceptance and strength. since white american culture is the life we live on a daily basis there is perhaps less of a need to celebrate it in clubs, that might be overkill. however, minorities may feel the need to take a break from white culture to focus on black/asian/latino/etc. cultures.
there are most definitlely white clubs - like the aryan nation - but most of them tend to be extremely offensive and racist. i'm not entirely sure if you would fit in there or not. i would hope you are not the racist you seem to be.
stop being such a sore loser. competition is stiff and whatever law school you do end up going to, it'll probably be predominately white, so quit whining.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 10:45:24 PM »
Lastly, I really do not understand why there are specific clubs for every race but white.

The reason why there is no "white club": I don't know too many whites who would want to join a white or Caucasian club because there is no ethnic culture tied to it. I could understand maybe an Irish-American club, or a German-American club, but white-American?? C'mon. Many whites have lost touch with their European roots and the only culture they can truly identify with is American culture. Most minorities on the other hand, are first, second, or third generation, and most grew up in a bi-cultural environment. If you can prove to me that a good majority of whites grew up in another culture other than American, then by all means, start a white law club.
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

the REAL desi

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 10:47:21 PM »
no one is stopping anyone from starting a white people club

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »
Wow, were you this modest on your PS? Because if you were, I don't understand why an adcomm would WL you... ::) ::) ::)
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 11:00:20 PM »
I did not create a LSN spot and am reluctant to disclose much personal info due to privacy concerns.  But let's put it this way, I finished my bachelor's and masters degrees in under four years total while working 30-60 hours per week, and it just gets more impressive from there. I am also not talking about one school in general but law schools overall.  I looked at the LSN data for a bunch of tier 1 schools from this year and previous years and reached the result.  You can try this yourself, I just picked 2 schools at random Stanford and Fordham, I sorted them by LSAT score and then looked at the people that had the lowest LSAT score.  Every single person that was in the bottom few slots in terms of LSAT score was an URM.  I am sorry but I don't understand how somebody with a 2. somthing GPA and 150 something LSAT score is going to trump my application based on merits.  I am not being arrogant I am being realistic.  If you have a 2. something GPA how in the world are you going to get a good job to brag about in your application or be able to write a good essay for that matter.  And what professor is going to write a C student a good recommendation.  I would understand if it was one person and one school, perhaps they did have a great application.  But it is many people at many schools.

What a racist person.....

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 11:12:13 PM »
I respectfully disagree on the fact that the LSN is not an accurate representation. It is a mere sampling of the people that have applied to law school, and yes it is probable that the sample has people that have slightly higher stats that the average applicant pool (which definitely does not damage my inital argument) I would venture to say that the data on LSN is relatively accurate, it is definitely consistent (even with past years). A basic stats class will tell you LSN is more accurate than most people give it credit. (Note that I am not blind in that I do realize that some people with too much time on their hands may make fictious posts of stats). Yet, I have been able to make relatively accurate forecasts about timing and decisions by utlizing LSN.

Well, the thing is that LSN is most likely underreporting the exact demographic that you're looking at (1) URMs and (2) students with lower stats. I think the inaccuracy within those two categories is probably much, much greater than most people give it credit for.

Regarding my initial comment about my observation that almost every person that was a URM has lower numbers. Is this due to a mere correlation, or a cause-effect-relationship? It would be naive to believe that these application are "stronger" than the other applicants. For the people that have questioned my major, personal statement, etc. believe me none of these areas were weak. My application was extremely strong with some pretty prestigious jobs, extracurriculars, and volunteer work. (Yes my LSAT score was slightly low, but all these schools I applied to claimed they look beyond the LSAT score to "soft" factors and I figured that I would be a perfect candidate to be admitted on that basis). I was naive in that by soft factors they meant race.

Look at Columbia. It might be different now, but back in Jan I selected the bottom 10 users. Only 2 of them were URM. It may have changed by now, but do a little more research on LSN.

Lastly, I really do not understand why there are specific clubs for every race but white.

Seriously, see above. Fortune 500 isn't enough?? (I'm half-joking). Seriously, though, I went to Chicago's event today, and my friend and I were the only brown people in the entire room of 50. Fine, it's the Midwest, but still. You know how scary that felt? And these were WASPy types in suits, to boot. After half a glass of wine I was mingling with everyone, but the sticker-shock (for lack of a better word) is something I'm still thinking about.