Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 33454 times)

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
Re: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #200 on: March 10, 2005, 09:13:10 PM »
So a black child adopted and raised by white parents should consider himself white? No way, your culture has nothing to do with your race, race is a biological distinction. Its stupid that schools give AA preference to certain races but thats the way it is and checking hispanic on a form when your race is white is an outright lie. Checking other would be fine as other can mean anything. Who you were raised by, economic factors, what country you came from, etc. are things for the PS/addendum not the biographical information box.

It is difficult to read the full text of long threads like these. Hispanic is not a race.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27952.0.html

bobo21

« Reply #201 on: March 10, 2005, 09:13:45 PM »
If he selected "other" or "mixed" would people have felt different?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2005, 09:18:45 PM »
Hispanic is an interesting category. Most Hispanic indivuals trace their linage back to Spain a European country whose inhabitance would be white. However many Hispanic people also have native American linage as well so that would make them non-white. In addition in the United states people form Mexico and other Hispanic countries have faced discrimination and exculton. LEgally they have been classified as everything form white to black and more often then not as something else entirely. Like Jewishness being both an ethnicity and a religion, Hispanic is often a race and an ethnicity.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2005, 10:02:51 PM »
BAHAHAHA TAG THIS THREAD IS IT!

I'm sorry guys you have me DYING....of laughter.  ;D

Ooh the Gestapo Adcoms are watching you! They are going to reject you. Give me break.
 ::)

I've said some really crude stuff on here. I'm not apologizing for it either. What happened to free speech people? It sounds to me like Big Tex made booboo regarding his URM status and that is why he freaked out. Other than that if you have nothing to hide, chill out. The only reason I took my picture down (way before this incident occurred) is b/c I was getting creepy stalkers.

Oh yeah (Gives the finger to Boalt) LMAO

I have a very difficult time believing that adcoms. who have thousands of applications to read, search the boards in order to match up profiles. I mean where would they even know to look?

Lesson to everyone: Stop posting all your business.

Oh yeah why did I get SEVEN PMS today from random folks apologizing? I donít care about you. I probably even forgot we had ďbeefĒ. Iím not going to call law schools on you so relax.

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
Fotunately, for you and I, even if there were an adcom gestapo they would most likely look for liars and not just jerks.

BAHAHAHA TAG THIS THREAD IS IT!

I'm sorry guys you have me DYING....of laughter.  ;D

Ooh the Gestapo Adcoms are watching you! They are going to reject you. Give me break.
 ::)

I've said some really crude stuff on here. I'm not apologizing for it either. What happened to free speech people? It sounds to me like Big Tex made booboo regarding his URM status and that is why he freaked out. Other than that if you have nothing to hide, chill out. The only reason I took my picture down (way before this incident occurred) is b/c I was getting creepy stalkers.

Oh yeah (Gives the finger to Boalt) LMAO

I have a very difficult time believing that adcoms. who have thousands of applications to read, search the boards in order to match up profiles. I mean where would they even know to look?

Lesson to everyone: Stop posting all your business.

Oh yeah why did I get SEVEN PMS today from random folks apologizing? I donít care about you. I probably even forgot we had ďbeefĒ. Iím not going to call law schools on you so relax.

3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:35 PM »
I wish X had contacted me directly with their concerns. If they had done so, all of this could have been avoided. I do not think it was right for X to contact various schools and raise questions about my honesty and integrity without involving me in some way in the process. I debated whether or not to make this post, and in the end I decided the following:

X decided to use LSD/LSN to gather information on me and reached a false conclusion in doing so. As such, I feel it is appropriate for me to make this one last final post on the same board from whence they gathered their initial information.

Iím really signing off this time. Thanks guys. Itís been a blast. Kick ass in 1L, and to school X Ė no hard feelings. Sometimes these misunderstandings happen. Iím all good with things now. I hope you are too.

OMG ... I just read this now. Granted, you could have probably posted it earlier and prevented me from deleting my account, but hey ..  ;)

My answer: SUE.

And come back to us. We liked you. And I want to hear what goes on with Harvard.

For the people who were asking for a URM's opinion: I have long said that I consider BigTex as a member of the Hispanic community. As has been mentioned before, the hispanic community is so wide in experiences, in geographic diversity, and so varied in physical characteristics so as to make any kind of generalization a really crude one. Not all of us grew up impoverished. Some hispanics are, in fact, very well off. Not all of us are Mexican. We can be Argentianian, Spanish, or Guatemalan. Not all of us are dark-skinned brunettes. Some of us are blond, red-heads, have asian-type eyes, or even afros.

BigTex might be biologically white. Fine. But he has been completely honest, and has a strong, solid and distinctivepride in his cultural upbringing, which is more than I can say for many "true" Hispanics.   

And, I might add, he introduced my mom to the tamale-making machine.   8)

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2005, 10:41:23 PM »
steering clear of these AA, racial, ethnic, cultural concerns, the main issue i have is one that i dont have an answer for.  i think the lsn feature is fabulous and very helpful for all students (though i dont have an account myself).  yet, schools might start using that (or might already use that) to match people's #'s up and find out where they got in so they can reject/accept people based on that information.  i dont think anyone here would find it acceptable if schools called each other to colaborate on who was accepted at which school (and for obvious reasons this would never happen).

i guess i'll have to wait till LS to find the relevant information, but there aleady exist similar issues.  here we have certain information that has a general benefit to society at large and thus should be encouraged (e.g. lsn accounts).  though it is unreasonable for the person to have an expectation of privacy, it is surely reasonable that the person does not expect a school to deny the person admission based on the posting of that information, such as where he or she was accepted to law school (e.g. as an act of yeild protection).  if a person could not reasonably have that expectation than no one would knowingly post their stats on lsn.  thus, for general benefit of this segment of society there ought to be some rule that says a school cannot make decisions based on such information. (of course even if that sounds nice in theory, who could ever prove why the school decided to reject/waitlist someone).  

beyond the specifics of posting basic information on lsn, i'm also not sure how far this reasoning should apply.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2005, 10:45:39 PM »

And, I might add, he introduced my mom to the tamale-making machine.   8)
MC (I see you got paranoid with m****c****), I am really not a crude sexual person (just a sarcastic, mocking one usually) but the suggestiveness there really made me laugh
(163+172)/3.5

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2005, 10:54:26 PM »

At last the validation I have been looking for!  RegularGuy is my new favorite person b/c he agrees with me (and had the balls to take a stand)

I haven't quite taken my stand yet, but I am being *very* serious when I say that I'm giving serious consideration to making a very open post that makes it quite clear who I 'am' in addition to where I've been admitted and where I hope to go.  If they want to deny, yield protect or waitlist based on that stuff, the so be it. 

it would be poor judgment on their part, no matter how much 'expose' yourself, to assume that they could match an anonymous internet profile to an actual application.  'personalities' on the internet can be faked and/or copied very easily.

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2005, 11:05:42 PM »

you don't know that he got preferential treatment, first of all.  secondly, he did disclose the nature of his background to all other schools, including harvard.  thirdly, he's not as white as you, assuming you grew up in a white family.  his old LSN profile said that he clearly explained his situation in an addendum and let schools decide how to handle it, and he did just that (assuming that he's telling the truth, which i am perfectly fine assuming).

i agree that including a diversity profile was appropriate for him, but if he wanted to let the schools decide how to handle it, it would seem more appropriate (my opinion of course) to leave the racial identification portion of the application blank and include only the addendum.