Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 32751 times)

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
Re: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »

Which leads me to my next point, I feel that everyone on this board is a peer.  There are so many people going through teh same situations as me, and offering me at times priceless advice and direction.  I find this as a type of support group, and because of that I do feel a bit violated to know law schools are looking at this. 

I am with you... I definetly feel violated too.

yes they can and do read, it would be wishful thinking to assume otherwise.

but are they so petty as to try and match up and use it to effect their and other's decisions without any certainty?!?!?
(163+172)/3.5

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2005, 07:30:06 PM »
AA is based on what then? I am now hispanic because I feel it me bones. I ate a burrito, I basked in the culture..I can say Porque viene Usted a los Estados Unitos? Por quanto tiempo quedarse?

Exactimente, mi amigo!  Pass the chalupas!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:02 PM »
lets not get into AA and the race stuff hear... I want to know more about tex's situation, not what people think of AA

I swear to god, we have covered it before  ::)
(163+172)/3.5

bradzwest

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:02 PM »
I went to CAL...I'm white and guilty of all things, you sign that disclosure with your app.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2005, 07:33:43 PM »
Based on the information that we currently have, School X should be publicly reprimanded in my opinion.

Regardless of BigTex's actions, School X did not perform their due diligence. If they had contacted BigTex directly early in their investigation, then their conclusions would be much more valid.

Again, I do not think the collection of the information was inappropriate, I think their actions afterward are the real problem.

i agree.  we honestly can't say to schools:  "you have NO right to talk to other schools about me." 

Or do we?

you know, this is actually REALLY funny because something very similiar happend to me with a school.  information sharing can be fatal for a school.

they shouldn't rely on other schools to tell them about applicants.  if we allow them to extend this version of "their research", we've given them free range to exploit us, who we are to a very large degree.  if we allow them to "share information" what happens when they've shared that information beyond the LS admissions walls.  what if one of the admissions people talk to the press about one of their applicants.  is that right? 

no.  what if the admissions people give them inaccurate information & it's to the student's demise & they're not accepted because of this "sharing"?

if bigtex doesn't expose this school we've accepted this behavior and it'll be to the demise of this entire process.

the URM issue aside, this privacy issue (school sharing) is really what bothers me at this point.

bigtex:  SUE.  please sue.  even if you get in, sue.  this is a problem.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2005, 07:34:02 PM »
Bix Tex's true identity?  He's C. Thomas Howell and he's going to Harvard in black makeup and an afro wig.  Did anyone else see Soul Man, or am I that old?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

veedonfleece

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2005, 07:36:08 PM »
AA is based on what then? I am now hispanic because I feel it me bones. I ate a burrito, I basked in the culture..I can say Porque viene Usted a los Estados Unitos? Por quanto tiempo quedarse?

They aren't just races, otherwise there would be no difference, other than melanin content.

Umm...how is Tex "less" white? Does having a hispanic father make him less white? I have a Korean brother..does that make me less white? What if I had a black uncle? Less white? Your ethnicity is not a function of your perception...I could grow up adopted by a black family but I would still be white. Should AA apply in that case?

He's still caucasian, regardless of his family.

thirdly, he's not as white as you, assuming you grew up in a white family.  his old LSN profile said that he clearly explained his situation in an addendum and let schools decide how to handle it, and he did just that (assuming that he's telling the truth, which i am perfectly fine assuming).

see previous comments re race vs. culture.  korean and black are races.  hispanic is a culture.

AA is a policy that is supported by the schools voluntarily.  it is up to them to decide how to apply it (within certain limits).  if you want to claim that you are hispanic, you should be prepared to support that position.  tex did that preemptively as to make sure everything was above board. 

your, or anyone here's opinion of what constitutes hispanics is totally irrelevant.  we arent the ones operating a law school under AA.  we dont make the call.  the schools make the call.  tex fully disclosed his position, so i just dont understand how anyone can question his intergirty.  his judgement is certainly up for debate (certainly a risky move on his part, but one he obviously felt strong enough about to take), but that really hasnt been discussed.

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2005, 07:37:05 PM »
Merriam Webster's definition of hispanic:  

of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S.; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin.

Twarga, please read my post stating how Harvard asks the question. And tell me that someone who honestly thinks of themself as more hispanic (in any way) than white is lying to that question?
did you miss that word... I made it easier for you to catch

The relating to means relating to the noun the adjective is describing, like "This is a hispanic neighborhood."  It doesn't mean relating to like "I can relate, dude. Let's all be hispanic."
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »

fabulous.  check hispanic on your app then and disclose your reasoning in an addendum.  

i think tex's situation is fine because he disclosed why he was checking hispanic.  

to the people talking about whether he'll be allowed to practice law, the ABA will see his application, which includes that addendum/diversity statement.  they'll see that he was honest about his circumstances.  it's not like there's a box that says "URM" or "not URM," and he checked the "URM" box.  they just asked how he self-identifies, and he answered accordingly.  tex will practice law just fine (or rather, this situation won't stand in the way).
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

LordofLight

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »
I love that movie. It's got Darth Vader in it. Whatever happened to C. Thomas Howell? He really fell of the face of the earth.

A good movie. But it made no sense. He could've taken loans out, right? They played it like he had this dichotomous choice between going black and stealing the scholarship or not going.

Bix Tex's true identity?  He's C. Thomas Howell and he's going to Harvard in black makeup and an afro wig.  Did anyone else see Soul Man, or am I that old?