Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 33413 times)

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2005, 06:35:59 PM »

So there you have it.  Big Tex called himself hispanic on his apps, and got URM status as a result, even though he's as white as snow.  Heck yeah these schools are going to feel hoodwinked, and I, for one, don't think he's heard the last of this.... not that he'll ever tell us about it.  Even if things smooth over now, 3 years from now when the ABA goes through his apps and sees "hispanic" checked next to his name, he'll be feeling the heat again.  That would suck to owe over $100K in student loans and be barred from practicing for ethical reasons.  

I am not a fan of BigTex, but I have no problem with him checking Hispanic. The forms clearly ask which group you most identify with, at least a large percentage of them do, and he probably honestly believes he identifies more with hispanics (because of his family) than whites (because of his skin color).
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2005, 06:36:53 PM »
Good to get the details.  I can't believe you missed the opportunity to use Paul Harvey's "And now you know... the rest of the story."

LordofLight

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2005, 06:37:50 PM »
I'd give my left nut to know which school is school X.

I am guessing UWashington.

I base this on nothing.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2005, 06:38:10 PM »
I'm shocked that people on this board are surprised that there is a degree of culpability for your posts on these boards.  As for Tex's situation...I think that ADCOMM would be up shite creek if he could prove he was damaged in any way by their inappropriate contacts with other schools.  Jesus...these people work at a law school!

If I was a dean of admissions and found out that one of my employees went above and beyond and found that one of our applicants had lied about his race, I would be very proud of that employee.  Being adopted by a hispanic man does NOT make a person hispanic.  Just as if I adopted a black child tomorrow, I would fully expect that child to be eligible for URM status.  Big Tex is white.  How could he possibly have been discriminated against based on race if he's WHITE.  Isn't that what AA is all about?  

JESUS... THESE PEOPLE ARE APPLYING TO LAW SCHOOLS!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

RegularGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2005, 06:39:40 PM »
That they would contact other schools about this with or without what they *thought* was tangible evidence is, to me, repulsive.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2005, 06:41:31 PM »
Big Tex lied and got caught.  He is a liar.  He tried to be slippery and write his "addendum" to cover his butt, but when he checked "hispanic" his file made it to a separate pile from the white applicants.  He got preferential treatment based on his lie, and as a person competing against Big Tex for a spot at Harvard, I'm outraged.  He's as white as me, and his application should not have any weight over mine because of his lie.  

3.0 (3.82), 166

bradzwest

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2005, 06:44:45 PM »
Big Tex lied and got caught.  He is a liar.  He tried to be slippery and write his "addendum" to cover his butt, but when he checked "hispanic" his file made it to a separate pile from the white applicants.  He got preferential treatment based on his lie, and as a person competing against Big Tex for a spot at Harvard, I'm outraged.  He's as white as me, and his application should not have any weight over mine because of his lie.  

Not disputing his URM status...they just should have gone to him first.  Glad to see you getting fired up!

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2005, 06:46:29 PM »

Please see page 2 of the Harvard application. The question asks "How would you describe yourself?" If Big Tex thinks of himself as hispanic, for this purpose he is hispanic. It is not a lie.
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2005, 06:47:06 PM »

Not disputing his URM status...they just should have gone to him first.  Glad to see you getting fired up!

HELL YEAH!  I'd like to see how all the real URMs feel about Big Tex thinking he's one of them.  I bet it's not good...  >:(  Let's post this in the AA thread and see what happens.

3.0 (3.82), 166

RegularGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2005, 06:47:24 PM »

This is my problem.  Independently of whatever he claimed, as well as its proximity to truth or mistruth, it was, in my opinion, an incredible overstepping of bounds for them to contact other schools.